Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #46
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I have been wrestling with my Times font and why it displayed italics as bold. Looking around here on the forum I chanced on a suggestion to use the exact name of the font. For example, the file for a Times font on my hard drive is named times.ttf, but the actual name of the font is Times New Roman. So renamed the files and, lo and behold, it works. Don't ask me why, I can't say the delectable option to add fonts of your own on the Kobo has been made easy, but here you go...

Last edited by HarryT; 04-30-2016 at 09:23 AM.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have been wrestling with my Times font and why it displayed italics as bold. Looking around here on the forum I chanced on a suggestion to use the exact name of the font. For example, the file for a Times font on my hard drive is named times.ttf, but the actual name of the font is Times New Roman. So renamed the files and, lo and behold, it works. Don't ask me why, I can't say the delectable option to add fonts of your own on the Kobo has been made easy, but here you go...
Thanks for this renaming tip. I wondered why some of the fonts you linked to in post #26 had this bold-instead-of-italic problem. I've just tried the problem ones again with different names and they now work
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #48
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
There is a thread on here (somewhere in the Kobo forum) that goes into the font file naming requirements in some detail.

The name of the font file is important to the Kobo firmware.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
There is a thread on here (somewhere in the Kobo forum) that goes into the font file naming requirements in some detail.

The name of the font file is important to the Kobo firmware.
I knew about the -Italic, -Bold and -BoldItalic suffixes, but I wasn't aware, until today, of the need to be careful with the first part of the name, other than it had to be the same for all 4 files.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #50
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's nice to know that all these bits and pieces of information are scattered around on this forum. And only on this forum! Once I have this subject completely under control I may write a sticky-worthy post as a how-to.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes those were my observations with my ArnoPro fonts that I like a lot on my Sonys. Some of the thinner parts of each character's strokes almost disappear at my preferred font size. It has that 'inkjet-printer-starting-to-run-out-of-ink' look. The Charis SIL fonts I have look good on the Glo.
I've played with several fonts on the Touch and Glo using several programs to tweak the font weight to look better on the ereader screen. However, I've ended up using Charis SIL as my main font since very few other fonts have much (if any) diacritical support -- I get tired of names that have blank boxes or boxes with x's where authors have gotten enthused about diacriticals.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... using several programs to tweak the font weight ...
Were any of those programs freeware by any chance? I wouldn't mind experimenting with font weight tweaking.

There's a weightier version of CharisSIL (incl smallcaps) around on these forums. That's the one I've been using. If you're interested I could try and find the post.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think this might be the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a modified (made darker) version of Charis SIL that is very readable on an eink screen. Plus the height of the uppercase to lowercase is very good. Here's the link to download. Also, there are smallcap versions too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gk70icv61u7bbrg
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, that's the one I meant.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, that's the one I meant.
That's the one that I am using. Perusing several threads, I find that I must be a very boring reader. I use the same stylesheet.css on virtually all books that I edit with Sigil, the same font when reading them on a Kobo device, etc. Now if I could have a virtual blue pencil...

Also, much happier with Sigil since the recent update to 6.2 -- 6.1 and it's jumping cursor, not to mention unchecking the checkbox in the clean source preference for "replace in all files" every time I opened Sigil was a PITA. Nothing like starting to type on line 56 and two characters later, typing on line 7. All I need now is to start creating epubs with audio and video files...
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I thought I had broken my Glo's screen - it was displaying some pages with a lot of black horizontal and vertical lines (see the pic below) It turns out that this was due to the Fontin font that I had adjusted; I had increased the weight of the font (Regular, Italic, Bold, and BoldItalic) but the Glo was not happy with the increased weight in the Bold and BoldItalic. Strangely, the problem has only manifested itself in one book so far.

Once I had returned the Bold and BoldItalic to the previous versions the screen looked fine. I did not need the increased weight in the Bold and BoldItalic anyway, just the Regular and Italic.

Please ignore the big white circle in the picture, that is just my camera flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2826.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	97549  

Last edited by ShellShock; 12-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #57
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I thought I had broken my Glo's screen - it was displaying some pages with a lot of black horizontal and vertical lines (see the pic below)
Wow - thanks for sharing. I would have thought the same as you (broken screen).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #58
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I thought I had broken my Glo's screen - it was displaying some pages with a lot of black horizontal and vertical lines (see the pic below) It turns out that this was due to the Fontin font that I had adjusted; I had increased the weight of the font (Regular, Italic, Bold, and BoldItalic) but the Glo was not happy with the increased weight in the Bold and BoldItalic.
I have the same problem with the Linux which beedaddy mentioned earlier in this thread. Not as bad as what your screenshot shows, but illegible Bold anyway. Trouble is, even when I leave Bold untouched, it still doesn't display right. Haven't figured it out, yet.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #59
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have the same problem with the Linux which beedaddy mentioned earlier in this thread. Not as bad as what your screenshot shows, but illegible Bold anyway. Trouble is, even when I leave Bold untouched, it still doesn't display right. Haven't figured it out, yet.
I had a big problem with the Linux Libertine that bartveld provided and it looked like ShellShock showed but much worse. When I replaced it with the Times New Roman font name that bartveld provided on Dec. 1, the problem went away.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
I had a big problem with the Linux Libertine that bartveld provided and it looked like ShellShock showed but much worse. When I replaced it with the Times New Roman font name that bartveld provided on Dec. 1, the problem went away.
Do you mean that you renamed the Linux font to Times New Roman?! Or are you now using the Times New Roman font?