Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #151
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I just tried k3flasher-x86_64.bin from the first post, and when running from my x86_64 linux mint 11, I get this:

./k3flasher-x86_64: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./k3flasher-x86_64)

The version that I built from source code works fine though, and so does the k3flasher-x86.bin (32-bit version) that I downloaded from the first post.

EDIT: I am now making a backup copy of a K3 demo unit, using k3backup.sh

EDIT2: Now flashing 3.0.2 to K3 demo. Preceded ./k3flasher with "time", so I can report the exact time it took to complete... (I did notice that the demo screens stopped advancing after flashing the replacement kernel.)

EDIT3: mmcblk0p1 flashing completed in 107m 11.078s. Now to reboot... Yes, firmware version 3.0.2. I plan to set it to factory defaults after I make backup copies of the user store and persistent user store partitions. Jailbreak time! Then firmware upgrade...

EDIT4: Factory reset, register to my amazon account, 3G and wifi both work fine. The pastebin now has 3.4 firmware with jailbreak and dev keys pre-installed.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-13-2012 at 03:51 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #152
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Now that binaries are being provided for k3flasher, Is there anyone against a linux noob's debricking with k3flasher guide?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #153
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Now that binaries are being provided for k3flasher, Is there anyone against a linux noob's debricking with k3flasher guide?
Of course not! What I am against is WAITING for it! So get busy already!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #154
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will as soon as I gety my nice computer back up and running. Thats #1 on my todo list right now...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #155
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I finally got time to sit around and do a backup guide, to prepare me for the flashing one, and here it is: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Backing_Up_Kindle_3

It is unfinished, because I don't think we should have a guide when it requires a noob to find a file that can only be found with a bit of searching and a winwoes installation...

I personally think that that is too tricky for a noob, especially when they are new to linux...

Wasn't there something earlier about being allowed to distribute the RAM kernel without source and agreeing to certain terms or something to that effect? If that can be done, then I would finish both guides, but currently, i think k3flasher is going to be too tricky for n00bs as of right now...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, there was such a comment posted (by me).

To meet the license requirements, we need to embedded the Freescale binary into k3flasher.
Not really difficult to do, just takes a bit of modification to the k3flasher source.

The two ways:
Use bin2c and store it as a byte array ;
Use objcopy to give it start, end, size symbols and link it into k3flasher.

I was hoping the author would have time to do that for us.
But we may need a volunteer with time on their hands to crank one out for us.

PS: Most modern Linux distributions can run the ATK installer to unpack it using Wine (mine did, and that's an old version of Wine).
But I agree with your point - an unnecessary complication for a Linux-Noobie

Last edited by knc1; 10-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #157
geekmaster

The RAM kernel is just a binary data "blob". As long as it is distributed as a loadable file, and not embedded as data inside a GPL program, it should not violate the freescale license agreement. Of course, I am not a law professional, but that is my take on it...

I suppose we should repackage it with k3flasher, like I did with a small portion of the (originally huge) MfgTool package and my own custom profiles and u-boot images.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #158
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

To meet the license requirements, we need to embedded the Freescale binary into k3flasher.
Not really difficult to do, just takes a bit of modification to the k3flasher source.

The two ways:

PS: Most modern Linux distributions can run the ATK installer to unpack it using Wine (mine did, and that's an old version of Wine).
Wait a minute? Can it be embedded in a GPL binary? I thought that was forbidden due to "GPL infection".

Or is k3flasher not GPL?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #159
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The RAM kernel is just a binary data "blob". As long as it is distributed as a loadable file, and not embedded as data inside a GPL program, it should not violate the freescale license agreement. Of course, I am not a law professional, but that is my take on it...

I suppose we should repackage it with k3flasher, like I did with a small portion of the (originally huge) MfgTool package and my own custom profiles and u-boot images.
Ah, k3flasher isn't a gpl licensed program.
OR, if the copy your looking at is, Hawhill agreed to re-license it for us to non-gpl.

I suspect he just didn't have the time to make the changes when he built the binary version.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #160
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
The two ways:
If I had time to do this, How would i go about doing it? I have no knowledge of C though, so i may not be the best volunteer for the job.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #161
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'll get around to do it soon. (Where "soon" is max. 1-2 days.)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #162
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Wait a minute? Can it be embedded in a GPL binary? I thought that was forbidden due to "GPL infection".

Or is k3flasher not GPL?
Choice #2
If the copy you are looking at says different, Hawhill posted that he will re-license it to non-gpl if it is now.

Also, the Freescale license prohibits the **source** from being linked to viral licenses.

In this case (bin2c or objcopy attachment) k3flasher is just the transport mechanistic for the Freescale binary.
The Freescale binary remains a "blob" - just like other firmware blobs.
I.E: Rather than shipping it "loose" as an executable object (which Freescale prohibits).
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #163
geekmaster

Quote:
Choice #2
If the copy you are looking at says different, Hawhill posted that he will re-license it to non-gpl if it is now.

Also, the Freescale license prohibits the **source** from being linked to viral licenses.

In this case (bin2c or objcopy attachment) k3flasher is just the transport mechanistic for the Freescale binary.
The Freescale binary remains a "blob" - just like other firmware blobs.
I.E: Rather than shipping it "loose" as an executable object (which Freescale prohibits).
Ahh... I missed that "loose executable object shipping prohibition" clause. Your explanation makes the need for firmware blob embedding a bit less confusing. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #164
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I'll get around to do it soon. (Where "soon" is max. 1-2 days.)
"Limited RSN"?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #165
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Worked example of the k3flasher unbricking a K3 to a 3.0.2 via Linux Mint

I grabbed the source from the top-post of this thread.
did a make

grabbed the two debricking images for the the 3.0.2 image.

mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img and k3w-kernel-factory.img

Used Wine to handle ATK install.

located my mx35to2_mmc.bin via locate mx35to2_mmc.bin
(you could use find or w/e) it was obviously in a subdir of my .wine folder

change directory to the build folder and copied mx35to2_mmc.bin to that folder too for ease of use.

cd /usr/local/src/k3flasher

cp ~/.wine/or/whatever/blah/mx35to2_mmc.bin ./

Do the same for the debricking images...

then: read the README.!!

jumped to:

Quote:
---snip---
root# ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info
W: cannot find device (is it in USB loader mode? are you root?) - waiting for it..
---snip---

Each second, a new dot will appear. There is no timeout, so if you want
to abort, hit CTRL-C.
sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info

reset kindle, holding down -vol

output of kindle info: We are in usbdownloader mode. Great.

Flash the 3.0.2 Kernel then...

sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel ./k3w-kernel-factory.img

Quote:
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes to address 0x0f7c1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashed 0x00010000 (=65536) bytes
I: flashed 0x00020000 (=131072) bytes
I: flashed 0x00030000 (=196608) bytes
Snip

takes very little time

now the rootfs (this will take a couple of hours)

sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs ./mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img

Quote:
: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes to address 0x103c1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashed 0x00010000 (=65536) bytes
I: flashed 0x00020000 (=131072) bytes
Snip
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes to address 0x28dc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashing of 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes complete

(and we are done a few hours later)
Each write cycle is worth 2Mb. so 300 Mb = 150 loops...
each cycle takes about 30 seconds. so 4MB per minute.

681.6Mb = ~341 loops = 170.4 minutes = 2.84 hours

keep waiting... when it's done - reboot.

EDIT: IF it complains after the reboot (mine did) just reboot it again. sorted.

Thanks for this great application. It has saved countless time and is much appreciated by all, vocally or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_290.png
Views:	249
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	94817  

Last edited by twobob; 10-24-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Do the same for the debricking images...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote