Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
youko
youko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animalsyouko is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring93936 View Post
I got it!!!

1. use "MS word" to edit the book files
2. choice "Embed fonts" and save to html
3. use calibre and key in
@font-face {
font-family: "DroidFont", "MsYaHei", serif, sans-serif;
src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
}
4. convert to mobi
5. convert to epub

I can watch Taiwan book and use TOC

Hi spring93936,

Where is the "embed fonts" in MS word?

I use word 2007.

Thanks!
youko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
PaulKenn
PaulKenn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hi All,

There is a "Haodoo" site with good Chinese ebooks (e.g. 金庸武俠小說 and many more), which are free. Currently, Sony PRS-T1 can read Chinese using nosnoop's method: use "Calibre" to convert the add-in book by adding Extra CSS "@font-face {
font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif; src:url (res:///ebook/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);}"
in "Look & Feel" section. Haodoo site also has extra pluggins readily available for download to read pdb format books.

Here, a question for all: how can the ebooks be read longitudinally instead of from left to right? Reading Chinese ebooks longitudinally will be more fun, isn't it?
PaulKenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKenn View Post
Here, a question for all: how can the ebooks be read longitudinally instead of from left to right? Reading Chinese ebooks longitudinally will be more fun, isn't it?
Maybe it would work if you read the book in landscape mode?
You can change to landscape by using the menu button -> more -> orientation.

Last edited by Abtacha; 12-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #19
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
I don't think there is any easy way.

One way is to root it and use Android Apps such as cBook or vReader.

The other is to read Haodoo online using the browser.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
PaulKenn

How to read Chinese ebooks longitudinally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I don't think there is any easy way.

One way is to root it and use Android Apps such as cBook or vReader.

The other is to read Haodoo online using the browser.

...hmm, how then? And no local method using side track?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
PaulKenn

How to read Chinese ebooks longitudinally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Maybe it would work if you read the book in landscape mode?
You can change to landscape by using the menu button -> more -> orientation.
The orientation cannot work.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The orientation cannot work.
Of course, the characters would be sideways
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
PaulKenn

I used to have a Palm TX and read Haodoo downloaded books longitudinally.

There must be a way to render that same for Sony PRS-T1!

Please let me know....
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
mm250gto
mm250gto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
@font-face {
font-family: "zw", serif, sans-serif;
}

I was still having the trouble displaying Chinese characters properly despite the fact that I've followed the instruction described in this thread. Out of luck, I have made it work on my e-Reader. Just in case someone out there has the trouble like I did, the solution that worked for me is above. I have changed the "DroidSansFont" to "zw". I found 'zw' as a font class in the stylesheet.ccs file. I don't know why it works but it works now.
mm250gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #25
HLing
HLing began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge almost; something with E-ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm250gto View Post
@font-face {
font-family: "zw", serif, sans-serif;
}

I was still having the trouble displaying Chinese characters properly despite the fact that I've followed the instruction described in this thread. Out of luck, I have made it work on my e-Reader. Just in case someone out there has the trouble like I did, the solution that worked for me is above. I have changed the "DroidSansFont" to "zw". I found 'zw' as a font class in the stylesheet.ccs file. I don't know why it works but it works now.
I'm so thankful for this whole thread regarding reading Chinese Epub. It's great to learn about the Haodoo website where one can read Chinese books. Am especially appreciative of this last post by mm250gto. I had use the previous method, which had worked for one of the Chinese books, but then after that (as I loaded and transferred many other Chinese books) I don't see anything except for question marks. Now, this is on the PRS-T1) . I wonder if it will also work for the older Sony ebooks...
HLing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, prs-t1