Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
DuckDodgers
DuckDodgers began at the beginning.

Received duff Iliad

Dam, after 2 hrs, it looks as if it will have to be returned.

No battery charge indicater light and it won't work away from the travel hub.
DuckDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
El Chupacabra
Enthusiast
El Chupacabra began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Nokia 6630
That's really bad luck. I'm sorry, I hope they send it fast.
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sorry to hear! It sounds like the battery is fried?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I just received mine this morning and I'm having a similar issue. Red led initially came on when I first plugged it in, but now won't. I managed to upgrade to 2.5 while plugged in, but it definitely doesn't seem to be charging. I'm not sure if it's the iliad or potentially a bad charger/travel hub.

Edit: Mine will now consistently boot up which indicates it's not the charger, but does automatically shut down after a few minutes. I can't believe after waiting this long I get a bad unit! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 08-07-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Roceh
Roceh began at the beginning.

Mine appears to have done the same, after two weeks of use
Roceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Seems like a lot of users have this problem now.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
Roceh
Roceh began at the beginning.

Well i just found another psu with same volt + max ampage and it works ok, so i guess the problem is with the psu.
Roceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I can get mine to power up with an alternative power supply that has the same specs, but it still won't charge. It also continues to spontaneously power down after being on for a few minutes. I would guess something in either the battery or battery charging circuitry is not working correctly. I would pull out the tools and open it up if it didn't void the warranty, but it costs a little too much money to risk that avenue. I hope iRex and send me a replacement asap. Even with these issues this is a cool device. Great size, weight and the sharpness of the display just has to be seen to be believed.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Maybe irex got a new batch of power bricks with less amps and didn't notice. Been there myself, supplier sends you the wrong item that looks identical, you bench test the devices using your own proper supply bricks taped down to the test bench... put a fresh brand new incorrect brick with the device and ship it.

if the brick can't supply enough amps to support the iLiad and charging, that could lead to the symptoms being reported.

If someone with a known working Iliad could tell us what volts and amps the brick outputs then that could be compared to the volts and amps on the bricks just received that aren't working.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

The brick is rated for 12V and 1.2A max. I just checked it with the meter and it's reading 12V and about .9A so it's probably in it's stated range. They don't specify different output based on different input voltages so the brick is probably within it's normal operating range.

I had a brick laying around with same rated specs and plug and it works to power the unit, but still won't charge it. I'm guessing something is getting fried with the charging circuitry and since they are bringing out a travel charger I would assume the charging circuitry is in the iliad as opposed to the brick or that convoluted hub.

When I first plugged mine in I did get a red charge light, but it went out after I turned the unit on and never came back on from that point on. This is really frustrating when you wait this long for a device and then it's essentially doa. Now what do i do for a gadget fix for the next few weeks?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Right, but what if the brick was supposed to be 12V at 2 amps? That's my point. What does the brick of a known working iLiad say on it?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

The 12v at 1.2A max is what is printed on the unit. If something happened and it was supposed to be a higher current unit it should still be enough to provide a trickle charge. My experience has been that all of these type of bricks vary in their current output so the numbers I measured seem to be within normal variences. I did try another brick with the same rating and the unit still won't charge or stay on for more than two minutes. I spoke with iRex this morning and have a ticket number so now I just have to wait and see how long it will take them to correct the situation.

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 08-08-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #13
DuckDodgers
DuckDodgers began at the beginning.

Received the return box this morning, now waiting for UPS to collect.
DuckDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
mtech
mtech began at the beginning.

Mine is also a duff iliad, but it has to do with the screen. There is a permanent while line about 1cm from the top of the screen. It is always on.

There goes for quality. Return it goes.
mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Has anyone yet got an answer form Irex about the battery charging problem? My unit has exactly the same problem.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote