Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
WWII (non-fiction) recommendations

I'll start the topic off with a few of my favorites:

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton. I can't remember how many times I said "Wow" while I was reading it.

David Howarth's The Shetland Bus: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival, and Adventure as well as The Sledge Patrol: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival, and Victory were fantastic. While the titles seem a little too similar, the books weren't redundant in the least.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of these are available electronically. I'd still recommend them without reservation.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Winston Churchill's magnum opus is available at Fictionwise - all 6 volumes of The Second World War

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you want an overview of the war, the best is:
History Of The Second World War
by B. H. Liddell Hart
http://www.amazon.com/History-Second.../dp/0306809125

Also good:
Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle by Richard B. Frank
Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian
Samurai! by Saburo Sakai - account of a top japanese ace.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Stalingrad' by Antony Beevor

Won the Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction, the Wolfson History prize, and the Hawthornden prize.

It's quite good.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Some of my favorites, but most are only available for Kindle. A few in PDF by the publisher by the publisher directly or specialty shop (At least I didn't see them when I just looked.)

I'll tell you right off though, I'm more interested in personal memories and scholarly research than I am in touchy-feely retroactive rewritings of history for the purpose of selling books. So you'll see that theme.

Quartered Safe Out Here - George MacDonald Fraser (war in Far East/Burma)

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 - Rick Atkinson

Admiral Arleigh Burke - E.B. Potter (general pre-war navy and war in the Pacific mostly)

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour - James Hornfischer

Down to the Sea - Bruce Henderson

The Depths of Courage: American Submariners at War with Japan, 1941-1945 - Flint Whitlock and Ron Smith

The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang - William Tuohy

The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections - Tom Brokaw

Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes by Tameichi Hara, Fred Saito, and Roger Pineau

Goodbye Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War - William Manchester (audiobook only I think)

With Wings Like Eagles by Michael Korda

The Lady and the Tigers: Remembering the Flying Tigers of World War II by Olga Greenlaw and Daniel Ford

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
I'm more interested in personal memories and scholarly research than I am in touchy-feely retroactive rewritings of history for the purpose of selling books.
Same here.

@wayspooled - Your list looks a lot like my shelf. I have several of the titles you mentioned, but some of the others I haven't read yet. I'll have to track them down.

Another that I found fascinating was Midway: The Battle that Doomed Japan, the Japanese Navy's Story by Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I recommend The Rising Sun by John Toland, WWII from the Japanese perspective.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You may want to try Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. The mini-series was based on this book.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Same here.

@wayspooled - Your list looks a lot like my shelf. I have several of the titles you mentioned, but some of the others I haven't read yet. I'll have to track them down.

Another that I found fascinating was Midway: The Battle that Doomed Japan, the Japanese Navy's Story by Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya.
Ralph Sir Edward, aye, that John Toland book I vaguely remember as being most excellent. I read it a long time ago and I think it was probably the first WWII book I ever read from an Axis perspective.

@snape - Neat I'll check out the Midway book, thanks! Another book that I've been told is very good but which I haven't read myself is "The Magnificent Mitscher" by Theodore Taylor.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
rampo
rampo began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle1
War Without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War by John Dower
The Pacific War 1931-1945 by Saburo Inega
A Boy Called H: A Childhood in Wartime Japan by Kappa Senoh
A Diary of Darkness: The Wartime Diary of Kiyosawa Kiyoshi by Kiyosawa Kiyoshi
Hiroshima by John Hersey
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
On the german side on the eastern European front, Kaputt by Malaparte is irreplaceable; it's also a litterary masterpiece (and --I think-- one major inspiration if "the kind ones").
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I loved Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo by Ted W. Lawson.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
All of these books and not one biography of Patton?

I confess I don't know which Patton book is the best but there are many:
http://www.generalpatton.com/library.html
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
The Great Escape

The Colditz Story

for the Allied POW angle
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
davef
davef is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-700
Autobiographies, Memoirs, and Diaries
All in actual books... I read a lot of WWII stuff before I got my PRS700.

Eisenhower - Crusade in Europe
Charles DeGaulle - War Memoirs
Raeder, Edward - Grand Admiral
Speer, Albert - Inside the Third Reich
MacArthur, Douglas - Reminiscences
Alanbrooke - Diaries (bit of a slog, this one..but interesting)
Moran, Lord - Churchill at War
Montgomery - Memoirs
Mussolini - My Rise and Fall
Shirer, William - Berlin Diary and of course Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
Goebbels, Joseph - Final Entries (Diary entries from spring 1945)
Ciano, Galeazzo - Diary (haven't read this one yet)
Mannerheim, Carl - Memoirs (WWII and after in Finland)
Doenitz, Karl - Memoirs
Sonnenfeldt, Richard - Witness to Nuremberg
Clark, Mark - Calculated Risk
Bradley, Omar - A Soldiers Story

Other good stuff (not autobiographical):

Potter, Elmer - Nimitz
Sorley, Lewis - Thunderbolt (Abrams)
Irving, David - Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe
Meacham, Jon - Franklin and Winston
Reuth, Ralf - Goebbels
Padfield, Peter - Himmler
Hart, BH - The Rommel Papers
Colville, John - The Fringes of Power
Gamble, Bruce - Black Sheep One
Ambrose, Stephen - Eisenhower
Eberle, Henrik - The Hitler Book
Lee, Bruce - Marching Orders
Morrison, Samuel - History of US Naval Operations in WWII (15 volumes)
Manchester, William - The Arms of Krupp (last part covers WWII)
Brinkley, David - Washington Goes to War
Millar, George - Bruneval Raid
O'Neill, Richard - Suicide Squads
Ambrose, Stephen - Citizen Soldiers
Overy, Richard - Interrogations (transcripts of post-war interrogations..haven't read this one yet..)
Ambrose, Stephen - D-Day
Pyle, Ernie - Here is your war
Eisnehower - D-Day to VE Day: Eisenhower's report on the invasion of Europe
Glantz, David etc. - Hitler and His Generals (transcripts of military conferences...haven't read this one yet either)
Shirer, William - This is Berlin (pre-war Berlin)
Various: Reporting World War 2 (Library of America volume)
Miller, Russel - Behind the Lines
Binney, Marcus - The Women Who Lived for Danger
Beaven, Colin - Operation Jedburgh
davef is offline   Reply With Quote