Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 05-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
iPod overpriced - better alternatives?

PC Pro magazine tested 18 different MP3 players, and concluded that there were several lesser-known brands that noticeably outperformed the iPod.

According to the writer, "[t]he iPod is over-priced when compared with these competitors," and "[i]t also falls down on battery life, with some portable MP3 players lasting three times as long, while its lack of support for Windows Media files will upset many PC users".

Its recommendations instead: iRiver iHP-100 Series, Rio Karma, Rio Nitrus, iRiver iFP-300 Series, and the iRiver iFP-500 Series.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
In the words of Bill the Cat, "Ack!"

Lest I repeat myself, you can read my thoughts as an iPod user here , with two notable addendums:

1.) I got my pod for $75. I don't care who you are -- you can't beat that. You can see where my loyalty lies.

2.) There's a thread on iPods vs. some of these other mp3 players on another forum I belong to. Most of the users there point to alot of the same issues that the article raises, though the Apple users remain resolved on a few tight points: a.) Apple has built up a brand that none of these can rival (like it or not, they spent the money); b.) a few of these mp3 players are not as easy as plug 'n play so they're def not for gnubies; and c.) many of these units are just too dang big, something iPod users (part mini users) crave.

Advert
Old 05-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Bill the cat. That takes me back.

I have had three iPods and have tested all the rest. iPod is the best hands down. What do you expect from a magazine called PC Pro reviewing an Apple product.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt
What do you expect from a magazine called PC Pro reviewing an Apple product.
LOL
Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Some Bill the Cat Pages from yahoo.

http://www.berkebreathed.com/
http://alcyone.cc.uch.gr/~kosmas/ACK.html
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dproc/bill.htm
Advert
Old 05-17-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

I've never been accused of retro-mongering.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I definitely agree on the style/brand argument - Apple has the best of all.

With a Sony you look geekish, with an iPod stylish (at least that is what Apple tries to convince us through its million dollar ads campaign).
Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey,

Living in NYC all I see are ipods. The other's just look strange and to be frank imitators. In my opinion nothing is easier and faster. I have a 10 gig 2nd generation and I'm happy. Even with the mini being only 4 gig you can fit a huge amount of music on it. Itunes is even smart enough to make a special playlist for users who have more then 4 gigs of music on their machine. Pure art...
Old 05-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

True true, that is what I think. Apple did a fantastic marketing job.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

It's true. Apple has devised a serious winner and had the foresight to pull people in on their branding. 20 seconds spent on a site like iPodLounge will answer any question about brand control.

Here's a good example, did you know that Apple actually loses money on iTunes? Yep.... But it sells the hardware, doesn't it?

They've also spawned a new revolution, much like the Sony Walkman. There's even a sociologist writing a book on it. Sad, but true, you're in a "club" if you have one. But take it from me: Lose the white earplugs as soon as you can. It's a sure tip-off to would-be thieves that you're sporting an expensive toy.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Yes, I remember reading an article recommending the same: don't wear those earplugs that identifies its potentially wealthy owner