Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
New problem with 1.9.12 and Calibre 0.8.25

Adding and deleting books with Calibre 0.8.25 still works, but now I have to eject and reconnect the KT after each delete job, or else I get a database error reported by Calibre on the next add or delete job I attempt. Fortunately the KT seems unaffected by the error.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm running both of those and have not encountered that problem. However, Calibre doesn't seem to like deleting the folders the deleted books were in. When I delete a book, the book goes and its folder stays.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I'm not deleting any folders, just a selection of several books at once. I have the KT connected, and I'm selecting books to delete from the Calibre library listing that shows a green check mark for those books which are also on the KT. The first delete job is successful. If I try a 2nd delete, Calibre says "Error" and the detail report shows a database error. If I try an Add after a delete, same thing. If I eject and reconnect, the same operation repeated is fine.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
There is a Calibre update today for 0.8.26
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I'm running both of those and have not encountered that problem. However, Calibre doesn't seem to like deleting the folders the deleted books were in. When I delete a book, the book goes and its folder stays.
I had/have the same empty folder issue. I was using the delete books directly from the Kobo and delete from Nautilus. When I deleted the folder by either method I got the famous Factory Reset. I have not even attempted to remove folders since that was fixed.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would first manually delete the folders using Windows Explorer, and then start Calibre. Once it recognizes the Kobo, switch to the device view and re-delete the books again from that view. I've never had a factory reset with this method.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I find Calibre causes a lot of issues with the touch. So since its still top on the list of the best ebook manager I just usually save my books in a folder on my desktop and manually push the books to the Touch and allow them to load that way. Calibre does not interact directly with my Device. Since I have done things this way I have no issues any longer with my Touch.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Although there are periodic problems--usually when Kobo has changed something and the Calibre driver hasn't caught up--I have not really had problems with using the two together. I'm cautious though and wait a couple of days to see what's up when there has been a new Touch update before using Calibre with it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Aemma
Aemma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Adding and deleting books with Calibre 0.8.25 still works, but now I have to eject and reconnect the KT after each delete job, or else I get a database error reported by Calibre on the next add or delete job I attempt. Fortunately the KT seems unaffected by the error.
[I preface this post with apologies for my newbiness, either not exactly knowing where to post this and not knowing what calibre () is.]

I'm wondering if this is the problem I have been experiencing lately. Since about late last week, every time I tried to sync via wifi I would get an "unknown error" message popping up on my KT. Not being tech-savvy at all, I called Kobo's call centre for some help (thinking it was my KT acting up or me not doing something I was supposed to do) when I was told by the first call centre worker to do a factory reset. I did. Now I have nothing on my KT and it still says it doesn't sync, although I tested it today and it seems I can reload the books I deleted but one at a time, and manually. But I've lost everything else: my bookmarks, my highlighted passages, my notes, my non epub documents. *sigh* I'm pretty disheartened by it all.
Aemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can understand your frustration, Aemma. I think it is truly lousy that some call centre workers told people to reset when the problem was most likely server related--not anything having to do with the device. Most people are now reporting that their devices are hooking up just fine. The server changes did not roll out to everyone simultaneously.

BTW: Calibre is great--though keep in mind that when Kobo makes changes, Calibre can take a week or two to catch up and problems can occur. One of the things it can now do is sync your annotations for books that are DRM free. And every book can be DRM free. This would mean that if you kept your annotations in sync with Calibre, you could restore them. On the Kobo side, the newest beta will sync your annotations for Kobo books (kepubs) to the desktop app. That means that if you do have to do a factory reset, your annotations will be safely stored for you and can "come back".

Last edited by taming; 11-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
original-occam
original-occam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I had my 'variable' library (mostly from Baen free library, and project Gutenberg) on an SD card - until the firmware upgrade made the ereader not work with SD card inserted.
Then I tried using Calibre to load some of these books to the device; everything seemed ok - until the ereader was 'ejected' and started up: no books visible.
Looking at the ereader as a memory device showed the books were there (in the appropriate author folders) but neither Kobo Touch, or Calibre can see them.
Ok, I deleted all author folders and reloaded them from my source library using a file manager: no difference.
What is next? Deleting the caliibre files on the device? deleting the sqlite database on the device? just wait until next firmware upgrade and hope that will solve everything?
original-occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The new build should solve this. The beta group folks are having great success with it. And no, I have no idea when it will be released. We have had three builds on this release, the latest just a few days ago.