Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I got some "Nookie" last night and I'm loving it!

Hey I'm not ashamed, sometimes you got to have the right motivation. For me it was a better nook experience. As a browser and an eReader a rooted nook is okay, but is still very lacking. B&N has made it an effort to really cripple the OS making it hard to get around the OS and made it difficult for standard OS apps to work.

So finally I decided to give "nookie"(Android Froyo 2.2 for the nook) a try and see if it could make the nook a pleasant experience.

It's made it an awesome experience. Things just work, stuff I struggled/tweaked on the to get to work on nook stock just work out of the box.

Anyhow I grabbed an extra SD Micro card, just in case I still could fall back to the root nook. And followed NookDevs Nookie instructions to the "T"*.

Burning a bootable SD card. (Not needed for those that know how)

Off the bat Android will work and setting up a WIFI connection is very easy.

Nookie Froyo Tips to get the following items to work on my nook.
  • Softkeys
  • Google Apps (Market, Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, Facebook, Tweeter, Maps...)
  • Adobe Flash
  • Access to a longer list of apps
  • more...

Now I'm loving my new nook. Truly this is what I was hoping to get with the slew of new Android tablets. Except I've got mine for only $250.

Also those who have been hesitant, they can try "Nookie" out w/o rooting their nook.

*Actually the only change to this is that I used Root Explorer instead of using "ADB" ( I could not get "ADB" to work) to get the Google Apps to work I had to copy them over with Root Explorer and change the permissions for each file.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Can I mail you mine????? lol (Kidding, but seriously, you could make bucks!)
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hey I'm not ashamed, sometimes you got to have the right motivation. For me it was a better nook experience. As a browser and an eReader a rooted nook is okay, but is still very lacking. B&N has made it an effort to really cripple the OS making it hard to get around the OS and made it difficult for standard OS apps to work.

So finally I decided to give "nookie"(Android Froyo 2.2 for the nook) a try and see if it could make the nook a pleasant experience.

It's made it an awesome experience. Things just work, stuff I struggled/tweaked on the to get to work on nook stock just work out of the box.

Anyhow I grabbed an extra SD Micro card, just in case I still could fall back to the root nook. And followed NookDevs Nookie instructions to the "T"*.

Burning a bootable SD card. (Not needed for those that know how)

Off the bat Android will work and setting up a WIFI connection is very easy.

Nookie Froyo Tips to get the following items to work on my nook.
  • Softkeys
  • Google Apps (Market, Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, Facebook, Tweeter, Maps...)
  • Adobe Flash
  • Access to a longer list of apps
  • more...

Now I'm loving my new nook. Truly this is what I was hoping to get with the slew of new Android tablets. Except I've got mine for only $250.

Also those who have been hesitant, they can try "Nookie" out w/o rooting their nook.

*Actually the only change to this is that I used Root Explorer instead of using "ADB" ( I could not get "ADB" to work) to get the Google Apps to work I had to copy them over with Root Explorer and change the permissions for each file.

=X=
Why bother? Get a Galaxy Tab instead. You know that's what you really want.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
Can I mail you mine????? lol (Kidding, but seriously, you could make bucks!)
Ha Ha, yeah I don't know about that I'm thinking folks that are willing to pay will just buy a tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why bother? Get a Galaxy Tab instead. You know that's what you really want.
Yes your right, you know me too well . But now there are a lots of better choices choices like the Galaxy Tab2, Dell Streak7, GTab, Xoom. The nook will do until these products are released in the summer.

=X=
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Hi X!

That's great news! So let me ask you this:
With your SD card in, the device boots to Froyo, and when you want to return to NC stock, you just take the card out. Is that correct?

What about sideloading apps and books?
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
Hi X!

That's great news! So let me ask you this:
With your SD card in, the device boots to Froyo, and when you want to return to NC stock, you just take the card out. Is that correct?
Yes it's that easy.

Quote:
What about sideloading apps and books?
If your asking if you can sideload apps and books to the nookie image yes it's the same process as stock nook, but you have to uncheck the "Market Only" options to install non market apps.

For sideloaded books that will vary on the application you are using as they all have different paths.

=X=
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Hey all!

I hate to say it, but I had a much poorer experience with Froyo than X did. Here's my feedback:

-NC took about twice as long to boot
-Very laggy when tapping icons or using the keyboard
-FLV playback caused the browser to crash
-Device recognized as a phone, so all websites I visited automatically re-routed me to their mobile versions... _I hate that_

All in all, I'm somewhat new to the Android community- so I could have done something wrong. It was pretty simple and straight forward though. Also, I had updated to 1.1 stock before booting to Froyo.
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Hey all!
I hate to say it, but I had a much poorer experience with Froyo than X did. Here's my feedback:
-NC took about twice as long to boot
-Very laggy when tapping icons or using the keyboard
-FLV playback caused the browser to crash
-Device recognized as a phone, so all websites I visited automatically re-routed me to their mobile versions... _I hate that_
All in all, I'm somewhat new to the Android community- so I could have done something wrong. It was pretty simple and straight forward though. Also, I had updated to 1.1 stock before booting to Froyo.
I did see several of these issues but I guess they weren't so bad for Me. The issue that was a big deal was the lag you mentioned. But that seemed to go away by itself. There is a patch that does fix the screen lag the tips tips page.

I like there mobile sites they're easier on the eye, but if you don't like mobile sites download the dolphin browser. It has a setting where you can spoof the user agent and make it look like any OS/browser so that you can load the full web sites.

The update has no bearing in the nookie because the os is isolated from each other.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I installed the latest Nookie to eMMC, and it is absolutely amazing! Flash works, video accelleration works. You tube looks so much better and everything is sooo fast. I haven't even overclocked it yet.

I recommend this for the more daring people although its very simple to install, although getting the market and gapps running takes a little adb skill

Oh and market works from the web browser

Last edited by volwrath; 02-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I recommend this for the more daring people although its very simple to install, although getting the market and gapps running takes a little adb skill
Sounds like a dare to me! I may have to take you up on it.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Sounds like a dare to me! I may have to take you up on it.
Just make sure you have plenty of time. Initially it would not see the sdcard so I had to find the way to fix that. (Basically install updated vold files in system/etc). Then I had to figure out how to install the gapps for gmail and all. After I did that I used TiBU to restore all my programs, which worked nicely.

it sure is nice getting rid of that $%^ status bar at the bottom
Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Just make sure you have plenty of time. Initially it would not see the sdcard so I had to find the way to fix that. (Basically install updated vold files in system/etc). Then I had to figure out how to install the gapps for gmail and all. After I did that I used TiBU to restore all my programs, which worked nicely.

it sure is nice getting rid of that $%^ status bar at the bottom
Hmmm... I'll go for it Friday, that'll give me the weekend to get up and running if I encounter problems.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I installed the latest Nookie to eMMC,...
Do you have an XDA link to share?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
volwrath
Guru

Sure. I used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883175

I had CWR installed on internal and used the flashable.zip version.

I had to fix the SDcard by installing the volds files (got them from http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...al-memory.html ) I pushed them via
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system
adb push [loaction of vold.fstab and vold.conf] etc/
adb reboot

Then I installed GApps via http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips although I think I changed the location to above
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Sure. I used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=883175

I had CWR installed on internal and used the flashable.zip version.

I had to fix the SDcard by installing the volds files (got them from http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...al-memory.html ) I pushed them via
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system
adb push [loaction of vold.fstab and vold.conf] etc/
adb reboot

Then I installed GApps via http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips although I think I changed the location to above
Thank you. I'll bring myself up to speed on everything this week.