Old 01-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
Gotta love the sarcasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Maybe you should contact them and offer your services in writing what you feel is a more understandable set of instructions? Because as you said - they are all pretty much volunteers who all have pretty much put their necks on the line and did that for us.

Or I guess you could always write your own set of DRM removing tools and offer it up as a Calibre plug-in.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I wasn't being sarcastic.

If you think the instructions need improving, then offer to help.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
wacomme
Enthusiast

Good. I'm sorry and happy to know that I mistook your comment.

As for helping out . . . I should, but I really just want to be a Kindle end-user. Cycling is a passion of mine, so I'm helping out with the GC project. And professionally, I'm involved in many volunteer projects. I just don't want to add another to my plate right now.

Perhaps I shouldn't have voiced my critique without offering to help. When I wrote the original post, I thought I had overlooked a simpler means for reading library books on a Kindle. I really didn't think the Tools download was the latest and greatest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic.

If you think the instructions need improving, then offer to help.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
So if I've got this right... You want help, but don't want anyone's opinions. You don't like the tools that are available, but your not willing to help even though you say you know how. Personally, I'm very thankfull for the work done on this issue by others and that they have made them available, even if they are not 'elegant'...I could never have done it on my own and I enjoy the expanded usefulness of my Kindle.

I think this thread is dead!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
wacomme
Enthusiast

I believe I noted the same (thankful for the work done) in a previous post. I'm sorry if it was implied, but I never said I know how to improve the current methodology for reading library books on a Kindle; I don't even know how the current process works. I am also seeking opinions; that's why I started the thread.

Regarding killing a thread - I don't believe that's your prerogative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
So if I've got this right... You want help, but don't want anyone's opinions. You don't like the tools that are available, but your not willing to help even though you say you know how. Personally, I'm very thankfull for the work done on this issue by others and that they have made them available, even if they are not 'elegant'...I could never have done it on my own and I enjoy the expanded usefulness of my Kindle.

I think this thread is dead!

Last edited by wacomme; 01-01-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
oh everyone just be nice.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #22
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Ahhhhhhhhh, but he started it!... Oh well, happy New Year everyone!

(I wish I knew how to put in one of those fancy animated emoticons!)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Yes if **anyone** wants to volunteer to create any documentation that better illustrates how to use the tools (no programming experience needed at all!), I am pretty sure it could be posted anonymously on the Alf or DR site and the developers involved would be quite happy to include them in their next release.

As for ease or elegance of use on a Mac, I am just not sure you get make things any easier for this person. There exists a self-initializing drag and drop tool. Just drag and drop the book and get back an dedrm'd book! The page on Alf describes what it is and how to use it in easy to use language and clearly.

The problem seems to be that many people do not understand how other book formats actually work and what it takes to read them. They do for their own type of books, just not for others.

If a Kindle user really wants to read a library book that is an ePub, they still have to learn about how ePub books with DRM are downloaded and read, download and install Adobe Digital Editions and register their id so that a key file is created on their machine. And actually get the book via ADE and be able to read it.

But none of this has anything to do with the tools! The tools can only work if the pieces needed to actually read the book in the first place exist on the machine. There is nothing magic here. If you can't read it on your machine, then there is nothing that will make any of the tools work to read it either.

For the same reason, ePub users must download and install and register Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac and understand their drm methods (PIDs anyone!) in order to get a Kindle book and convert it to ePub.

All of that said, assuming the OP could actually read an ePub on their machine, then literally all they would have to do to remove the DRM is drag and drop the file on the icon. You simply can not get any easier than that! No worries about Python, no worries about OpenSSL, because this is a Mac that already comes with what is needed and it is installed by default!

In general, people just like to complain and are always unwilling (for sometimes perfectly good reasons) to help out and make things better. It has been that way since the very beginning of software development and will probably stay that way for the rest of time. I have personally been developing software for over 32 years. It never changes.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-02-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixing typos
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #24
wacomme
Enthusiast

KevinH

I agree with what you are saying except for the last paragraph. I didn't create this thread to complain. As someone new to the Kindle system and e-library books, I was unfamiliar with the software required and the methodology for getting a library book ready to read on a Kindle. I still contend the process is confusing. While the drdrm program is simple in itself, getting all of the pieces in place to make it work is confusing. For one, I have a PowerPC Mac and therefore cannot use Kindle for the Mac.

As for not helping out to make the system better, perhaps you have me. Should I not have criticized the system if I'm not willing to fix it? Maybe so. However, in my original post I was hoping to discover an app that would be simple and straightforward, one I hadn't discovered, not to criticize the tools approach for the sake of complaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

Yes if **anyone** wants to volunteer to create any documentation that better illustrates how to use the tools (no programming experience needed at all!), I am pretty sure it could be posted anonymously on the Alf or DR site and the developers involved would be quite happy to include them in their next release.

As for ease or elegance of use on a Mac, I am just not sure you get make things any easier for this person. There exists a self-initializing drag and drop tool. Just drag and drop the book and get back an dedrm'd book! The page on Alf describes what it is and how to use it in easy to use language and clearly.

The problem seems to be that many people do not understand how other book formats actually work and what it takes to read them. They do for their own type of books, just not for others.

If a Kindle user really wants to read a library book that is an ePub, they still have to learn about how ePub books with DRM are downloaded and read, download and install Adobe Digital Editions and register their id so that a key file is created on their machine. And actually get the book via ADE and be able to read it.

But none of this has anything to do with the tools! The tools can only work if the pieces needed to actually read the book in the first place exist on the machine. There is nothing magic here. If you can't read it on your machine, then there is nothing that will make any of the tools work to read it either.

For the same reason, ePub users must download and install and register Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac and understand their drm methods (PIDs anyone!) in order to get a Kindle book and convert it to ePub.

All of that said, assuming the OP could actually read an ePub on their machine, then literally all they would have to do to remove the DRM is drag and drop the file on the icon. You simply can not get any easier than that! No worries about Python, no worries about OpenSSL, because this is a Mac that already comes with what is needed and it is installed by default!

In general, people just like to complain and are always unwilling (for sometimes perfectly good reasons) to help out and make things better. It has been that way since the very beginning of software development and will probably stay that way for the rest of time. I have personally been developing software for over 32 years. It never changes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
piznattipat
piznattipat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i'm in a simliar situation- i'll sort through legal debate of drm and read lectures about my lack of tech savvy. i just want to read on my kindle ! and i'm humbling asking for your help!

i've downloaded adobe digital editions and books from my local library. I've downloaded calibre as well. i open calibre and attempt to add the book from my adobe digital editions library...but there's nothing there. the book is there when i open adobe digital editions. but calibre doesn't seem to find it, even when i set it recognize all formats.
what am i doing wrong? please help.

i think if i could get it in calibre, i can covert and get it on my kindle...but i'm missing something. any help is appreciated. thanks.
piznattipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Have you made sure that you are in the proper folder? Search down through your folders using Explorer (or mac equivalent) and find the epub title (not that ascm (or what initials) file)

In Windows anyway, you can actually drag/drop a file from folders into Calibre.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Former tech writer here. Documentation with screenshots often helps out the newbs. Of course it becomes more challenging to write doc with screenshots when you're dealing with multiple platforms.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #28
Apprentice Alf
Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
The Tools download is such a geek hack with numerous readme files, it's hard to follow. The Alf blog is too confusing.
A time-out just lost a long rant I'd composed. It's probably just as well.

You seem to be unable at the moment to even download an ePub from your library and read it on your computer. That has nothing to do with DeDRM instructions, the tools download or my blog.

As for the complexity of the instructions — it's explained by the vast variety of ebook file formats, ebook drm systems, ebook reading systems, and ebook users and requirements.

While your specific requirement, to download Adobe Adept epub ebooks from your library to your Mac, and convert them for use on your Kindle, could be explained in simple terms in about five paragraphs, there are fifty other users with slightly different or totally different requirements who also need DRM removal tools.

If you have specific proposals for ways to simplify the tools, instructions or the blog, please let us know.

Did you read the "ReadMe_First.txt" file that's in the top level of the tool zip? How do you suggest we improve it without making it so long you'd have skipped it because it was too complex?

A rather exasperated,

— Alf.
Apprentice Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Alf, we love you and appreciate all the great work you and others have put in to your blog and the tools now available ***For FREE***

Wow, it blows my mind that people have anything at all to complain about. Geez... is reading really a lost art after all? \sarcasm\ people, please don't flame me.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The process for stripping DRM is trivial if you have the software to do it. Sure you may need to know what you are doing, but I do and it's easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote