Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
The Easiest Hack -- Bookmarks

I hesitate to put something this easy in a "Developer's Corner", but I didn't see a better place.

Isn't it a PAIN the amount of trouble you have to go to to get to the bookmarks on your Kindle 2?

I think it is. Why not have a QuickBookmarks list right on your front page?

This is easily done. I took ideas I saw on sites like this to do it.

1. Create the bookmark file. I didn't want to bother to refresh my memory of html syntax, so I downloaded a copy of Coffee Cup html editor. Any other html editor would do. I then created a file with nothing in it but one link after another. I separated each link with <br> to keep them from all being on one line.

I wanted the best-looking versions of sites that I could get, so I picked mobile versions of the sites (their urls often start with m.) or I took versions of the site urls from www.skweezer.com because I like the way it handles some.

2. Rename the bookmark file to something ending with .txt. I named mine QuickBookmarks.txt If the way you created it made an .html or .htm extension, you should replace it with .txt

3. Link your Kindle 2 with your computer with the usb cable. Copy the .txt file from the computer to your documents folder on the Kindle.

After you have ejected the Kindle, your bookmarks will be available on your main page. If you try to activate one when your wireless is turned off, you will be asked if you want to turn wireless on, exactly like any other bookmark.

I suppose there is a way to scramble your Kindle and make it unusable if you follow the above instructions in a way I didn't intend. That would be your problem, not mine. But all in all, I think this must be the easiest Kindle hack.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
bloovis
bloovis began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
How about other types of links?

What I'd like to know is if internal links to file types other than HTML
are supported by the Kindle browser. I've seen postings in this forum
saying that links like this will work:

Code:
file:///mnt/us/html/somedocument.html
But will links to books work? In other words, can I use this:

Code:
file:///mnt/us/documents/somebook.azw
or this:

Code:
file:///mnt/us/documents/someotherbook.pdf
I'm just guessing about the path and filename here because
I don't have a Kindle (yet). But if such a feature works, that
might be a decent workaround for the missing folders feature.
bloovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
This is an excellent question; I didn't succeed in getting any links not starting with http:// to work, but I am being extra cautious since I don't want to end up with an inoperative Kindle. When you do get your Kindle, test this and post your results, even if they are negative.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote