Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Does anyone need a book recommendation?

I was looking to post some book recommendations on my blog but I need some test subjects Names will be changed to protect the innocent. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Feel free to use this thread for quickie recommendations Carry on!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

*crickets* Anyone?
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
What do you mean by "test subjects" exactly?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I need something to get the awful awful taste of Sanderson's Elantris out of my head. I have a giant tbr list, but I'm suffering from a bit of decision paralysis. Prefer sci-fi/fantasy. Ideas?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've been thinking it would be nice to have some recommended classics. Some of the books in the canon are hard slogs. Which classics are page turners? Which have compelling mystery plots, unforgettable characters, etc?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I need something to get the awful awful taste of Sanderson's Elantris out of my head. I have a giant tbr list, but I'm suffering from a bit of decision paralysis. Prefer sci-fi/fantasy. Ideas?
How about The Prestige by Christopher Priest. Far better as a book than a movie. Not really science fiction or fantasy, but something in between.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did you not like Elantris?

It's been a long while since I read them, but you can try Carol Berg's Rai-Kirah series. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...Transformation
That book blurb does not sound interesting at all, but it was a cool dark series (not too dark, but man that blurb sounds corny).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
What do you mean by "test subjects" exactly?
Seemed appropriate I'll put your request on the blog and write some recs if I can.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I don't really understand what you need test subjects for? Are you making recommendations on your blog for certain books? Sorry, I am confused.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I don't really understand what you need test subjects for? Are you making recommendations on your blog for certain books? Sorry, I am confused.
It's not really test subjects. I'm just looking for people who are looking for book recommendations so I can post them on my blog. Example: Person is looking for a book similar to book A, I recommend books B,C, and D and people who read the blog can recommend more books in the comments.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It's not really test subjects. I'm just looking for people who are looking for book recommendations so I can post them on my blog. Example: Person is looking for a book similar to book A, I recommend books B,C, and D and people who read the blog can recommend more books in the comments.
Gotcha!

I don't really need any recs right now as I have more than enough books to read to last me for a couple years. Plus all the new books coming out. I will never get caught up, lol. I can always try to help with recs though if it is a genre I have read a lot of.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I think you should definitely post some generic type recommendations for various genres-- and I'm glad you're updating your blog again ;0)

Actually, reading the book recommendations kind of stresses me out. Gives me that feeling of "omg, too many books to read!" and I get a little panicky because I feel behind already!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
How about The Prestige by Christopher Priest. Far better as a book than a movie. Not really science fiction or fantasy, but something in between.
Ooo, this sounds great! It's been a while since I watched the movie, but I remember enjoying (not loving) it. And I'm a "the book's always better than the movie" sort of gal, so I think I'll check this out. thanks
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
I just started on this book, but if it's bad I rather move on to something better. I don't like dark fantasy, but are not sure if this book falls into that category. Could you tell me what you disliked about the book?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I do need a recommendation. I love pretty much all genre (except very technical science fiction). Due to my current health situation I need a book that is easy to read (not too much assumptions or back and forth and not too many people in it) but not written for dummies. The book I have started in 2011 is Ken Follet's 'Fall of Giants' but I am already confused with all the people. Do I make sense? Btw - I can't stand short stories. And audio books do not work for me at the moment either.

Is that what you are after?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I've been thinking it would be nice to have some recommended classics. Some of the books in the canon are hard slogs. Which classics are page turners? Which have compelling mystery plots, unforgettable characters, etc?
I found the beginning of David Copperfield incredibly grim, but it gets better after he strikes out on his own.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote