Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Question Novice Questions

I just downloaded calibre for the first time, and I have very limited computer skills, so I hope everyone here won't mind some very basic questions.

Working with free e-books it's clear that they aren't all built the same. Some have a table of contents, and some do not. Some have a cover image, and some do not. When I saw that calibre would allow me to edit the metadata, including the cover image, I tried to improve some of my e-books with better covers.

What I discovered is that if the e-book came with a cover I could, indeed, replace that image with a different one. But I was not able to add a cover to those that had no cover from the start. So I assume that the original e-book was put together without the capacity to include a cover image. Does that sound correct?

If so, how can such an e-book be modified to include a cover image that will display as an icon on the shelves of an e-reader? Does calibre have that capability, or would it require other software, like Sigil? Also, how difficult is it to do such a conversion? Is it something a beginner could learn on his own?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and thanks also for your patience with a newcomer!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just do a format to format conversion and calibre will add the cover always. for example if your books are in epub format, do an epub to epub conversion and the result will have a cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just do a format to format conversion and calibre will add the cover always. for example if your books are in epub format, do an epub to epub conversion and the result will have a cover.
Splendid! I will try that this evening! Many thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Instead of doing a conversion, I usually just use the Modify ePub plugin for a quick cover change. Just check the option to "Insert or replace cover" under Covers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks, Kovid. It works perfectly!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
You can also use update cover in the polish pook feature (only available for EPUB and KF8=>new format MOBI/AZW3 files). The advantage is that it's faster and modifies only the cover. It works perfectly fine for books that come without a cover.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote