Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many of us are reading exclusively in electronic format?
Yes, I am reading in electronic format only 185 63.79%
No, not all of the books I read are electronic format 105 36.21%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #46
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Reading in electronic format makes up a sizeable amount of my reading. And it does so, with a rising tendency, since 2003. But interestingly I find that, as the amount of electronic reading I have to do in my job or that I do for gathering information is rising over the years, I like to have a recreational break with an old paper book. Its rather like having a good wine or scotch. -

And, I have to add that and I'm strict on this: For recreational reading I buy only titles without DRM. So I'm not a customer of one of the big portals, paying for "reading licenses only" - Sorry, Kobo, Amazon and others .... (Note: I'm okay with DRM as far as lending library ebooks e.g. via the "onleihe"-system in Germany is concerned.) With the job that's different, there is no way around DRM in many areas.

On the durability of ebooks/electronically stored information:

Ask yourself: Imagine you want to take down notes on your infant children about their progress in life that you want to pass on to them when they are in their twenties or thirties for them to keep. Which format would you use? Analog or digital?

Last edited by beachwanderer; 10-23-2012 at 05:52 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post

Ask yourself: Imagine you want to take down notes on your infant children about their progress in life that you want to pass on to them when they are in their twenties or thirties for them to keep. Which format would you use? Analog or digital?
Digital! And keep a print-out on archival paper.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #48
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I don't read paper anymore.
If a book I want to read is not available as file I'll scan it myself.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #49
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Digital! And keep a print-out on archival paper.
You, Sir, seem to be a wise man.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #50
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I still read paper books, mainly because not everything I want to read is available in digital format.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm trying to. I love the ability to get a new book without leaving my house and without having to store a physical copy.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #52
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've not purchased many ebooks yet, mostly because I don't have the money for it right now, but ever since I bought my first ereader I haven't purchased a physical copy of a book. I'd want to read it on my ereader anyway, and I don't see the point in buying two copies. I'd only buy a physical book if it was unavailable in ebook format. Even then, I might wait awhile to see if it becomes available as an ebook.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #53
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
They are only data, and all of my microsoft reader books are an obsolete format.
Calibre will convert them to whatever you fancy
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #54
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Pretty much all my reading is now electronic, I haven't read a "classic" book in a long time.
65 yrs old here.. for the past 50 yrs, I would buy the newpapers daily, magazines weekly.. I could not even leave the house without reading a paper newspaper.. not any more.. back just a couple of yrs ago.. I would send my wife down to the hotel lobby to get me a newspaper.. not anymore.. i just push a couple of buttons on my iPad and I have them.. faster and cheaper..
wow.. now when I look at a new stand on the corner I think.. your days are numbered.. sadly though.. but it's called I think Evolution..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #55
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I don't use paper if I can avoid it, but some of the books I need for work (research) only come in paper.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #56
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am 99 44/100 % eReader! I Never read PB or HB pleasure books I still have a few Dog Breeding & Travel books tho LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #57
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I fell out of love with reading because I fell out of love with paper books.

My first e-reader was bought for me about 5 years ago in the hope it might re-kindle (no pun intended) my desire to read. It worked, I have never read so much as in these last five years.

Electronic only for me. I cannot bear paper books and have never even been tempted to read those which lie untouched on my library shelves.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #58
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I much prefer reading ebooks, but not all of the books (fiction) that I would like to read are available as ebooks, so I will pick those up as paper books.

Many of the academic books that I need to read aren't available as ebooks, and I don't see that changing soon, unfortunately.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #59
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I prefer ebooks, but that's just a preference. Price is a big factor.

The conventional books (and old sci-fi magazines) I buy are mostly from used book stores and clearance houses.

I also read conventional books from the library.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #60
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
For me it's about the content, not about the delivery system. Even though I do prefer reading electronically over reading paper books, I have no problem reading a paper book. When I'm looking for a particular book to read I always check the Phoenix Online Digital Library for the Kindle book first, then I check my brick-and-mortar library if the Kindle book isn't available. If it's not available at either place then chances are I'm not going to read it.

I will admit that I do seem to have a weakness for the clearance racks at Half Price Books...
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote