Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Recipes and RSS feeds and organization questions

Just started using Calibre (v0.7.1) with a fresh Sony PRS-600 (formatted, and did not bother installing Sony library software on my laptop).

1. When setting up lots of RSS feeds, do people find it best to have a recipe for each blog/feed sites they follow, or is it best to group blogs/feed sites into groups and create a recipe for each group (e.g., a recipe for all fitness blogs)?

2. In Calibre, when I click on Fetch News, I have to select and download each custom feed individually. Is there a way to download them all at once (besides scheduling downloads)?

3. For each feed, I max out on the feed settings - 365 days and 100 articles. Yet when I fetch news, I only get 10 articles per feed???

4. I noticed that if I re-fetch a recipe that I've previously fetched, Calibre creates another ebook for that recipe. How do I automatically update (or replace) the existing ebook for a custom recipe rather than creating new ebooks each time I fetch news?

5. Removing articles from a custom recipe created ebook - i.e., if I have a custom feed for BlogA, and I read a few of the articles on my reader, is there anyway to get those read articles off the reader other than just waiting for them to get rolled off as time/newer articles push them out?

OK, that's it for now. Great app, and using this, so far I have no reason to install Sony's library software.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
In Calibre, when I click on Fetch News, I have to select and download each custom feed individually. Is there a way to download them all at once (besides scheduling downloads)?
No, but if you read them, schedule them, then hit the Download all scheduled button to get them all immediately.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
1. When setting up lots of RSS feeds, do people find it best to have a recipe for each blog/feed sites they follow, or is it best to group blogs/feed sites into groups and create a recipe for each group (e.g., a recipe for all fitness blogs)?
Most sites will require different recipes.

Quote:
3. For each feed, I max out on the feed settings - 365 days and 100 articles. Yet when I fetch news, I only get 10 articles per feed???
Many sites limit their feed to 10 articles. You can get around this by setting the RSS feeds in Google Reader then Google with gather up all articles as they come in. You can then use the recipe for google reader to grab the articles. This is also a way of handling multiple blogs with one recipe.

Quote:
5. Removing articles from a custom recipe created ebook - i.e., if I have a custom feed for BlogA, and I read a few of the articles on my reader, is there anyway to get those read articles off the reader other than just waiting for them to get rolled off as time/newer articles push them out?
Once you finish the book you can delete the book, but not the individual articles within the book.

Quote:
OK, that's it for now. Great app, and using this, so far I have no reason to install Sony's library software.
I've had my 505 for 17 months and have never used the Sony software to transfer books to my device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Most sites will require different recipes.

Many sites limit their feed to 10 articles. You can get around this by setting the RSS feeds in Google Reader then Google with gather up all articles as they come in. You can then use the recipe for google reader to grab the articles. This is also a way of handling multiple blogs with one recipe.
OK, I searched around and found this thread that explains why you can't mix feeds from different sites in the same recipe: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=google+reader

If I understand it correctly, if I place the feeds I have in Google Reader (effectively tagging them with the folder name), then the Google Reader recipe will delineate sections for each folder.

Let's say I have 5 blog feeds, each with 10 unread articles, in one Google Reader folder labeled 'fitness'. Will the Google Reader recipe create a section titled 'fitness' and subsections for each blog, or will all 50 articles be mixed together under the 'fitness' section?

As for the 10 article limit without using an aggregator like Google Reader, I can live with just the most recent 10 articles on my e-reader. But grouping the feeds (without mixing articles from different feeds) would help limit the clutter on my Sony reader. Is there another way to accomplish this goal even if I use a different recipe for every feed from a different site?

Edit: It seems I can use Collections and tags to accomplish this, e.g., 'feed-fitness', 'feed-finance', etc., which would group the various feeds into subject collections, and still keep them separate from my books, which might be tagged 'fitness', 'finance', etc.
Quote:
Once you finish the book you can delete the book, but not the individual articles within the book.
OK, that makes sense, and leads to my earlier question:
"4. I noticed that if I re-fetch a recipe that I've previously fetched, Calibre creates another ebook for that recipe. How do I automatically update (or replace) the existing ebook for a custom recipe rather than creating new ebooks each time I fetch news?"

It seems when each feed has it's own recipe, Calibre will keep downloading the last 10 articles, even if it's already done so before. Is there anyway to let Calibre know the articles are read or previously downloaded?

I saw a preference setting that tells Calibre to delete news from library once it is sent to the reader. I suppose that will prevent me from reloading a previously loaded 'news book' onto the reader, but it doesn't stop Calibre from fetching those same articles and creating another book.

Last edited by flyash; 06-10-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, I searched around and found this thread that explains why you can't mix feeds from different sites in the same recipe: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=google+reader

If I understand it correctly, if I place the feeds I have in Google Reader (effectively tagging them with the folder name), then the Google Reader recipe will delineate sections for each folder.
Correct.

Quote:
Let's say I have 5 blog feeds, each with 10 unread articles, in one Google Reader folder labeled 'fitness'. Will the Google Reader recipe create a section titled 'fitness' and subsections for each blog, or will all 50 articles be mixed together under the 'fitness' section?
It has been a while, but basing this on what I wrote in the above post It would seem that they would be scattered. Placing each fitnes blog in its own folder could be grouped (sorta) by creating the folders as fitness_blog_name. This way all the fitness blog feeds would be in a row.

Quote:
But grouping the feeds (without mixing articles from different feeds) would help limit the clutter on my Sony reader.
Understand all of these folders in google reader would be included in one ebook when downloaded. This will definately reduce clutter on your reader.

Quote:
Is there another way to accomplish this goal even if I use a different recipe for every feed from a different site?
Since they are all tagged NEWS they will be in one collection, no matter how many recipes you use.

Quote:
"4. I noticed that if I re-fetch a recipe that I've previously fetched, Calibre creates another ebook for that recipe. How do I automatically update (or replace) the existing ebook for a custom recipe rather than creating new ebooks each time I fetch news?"
If you have the delete news from library automatically set that's a beginning.

Quote:
It seems when each feed has it's own recipe, Calibre will keep downloading the last 10 articles, even if it's already done so before. Is there anyway to let Calibre know the articles are read or previously downloaded?
No

Quote:
I saw a preference setting that tells Calibre to delete news from library once it is sent to the reader. I suppose that will prevent me from reloading a previously loaded 'news book' onto the reader, but it doesn't stop Calibre from fetching those same articles and creating another book.
If you use Google reader, once you download the current list of articles all you have to do is open Google reader and click the mark all as read button and this will prevent old articles from downloading again the next time you download your news.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
flyash
Groupie

dwanthny, thanks for walking me through this.
Quote:
It has been a while, but basing this on what I wrote in the above post It would seem that they would be scattered. Placing each fitnes blog in its own folder could be grouped (sorta) by creating the folders as fitness_blog_name. This way all the fitness blog feeds would be in a row.

Understand all of these folders in google reader would be included in one ebook when downloaded. This will definately reduce clutter on your reader.
OK, got it. It would just be the google reader ebook that would be cluttered. And mixing articles from different feeds in the same google reader folder makes that a non-starter for me.
Quote:
Since they are all tagged NEWS they will be in one collection, no matter how many recipes you use.
Yes, got it now.
Quote:
If you have the delete news from library automatically set that's a beginning.

If you use Google reader, once you download the current list of articles all you have to do is open Google reader and click the mark all as read button and this will prevent old articles from downloading again the next time you download your news.
OK, so it sounds like using a feed aggregator like Google Reader is the only way to prevent old articles from being fetched again.

I think I'll skip the Google Reader recipe route because I have many, many more feeds in G-reader than I want to read on my e-reader, and the article mixing is the nail in the coffin.

So everytime I fetch news for a recipe, Calibre will create a new ebook, correct? Which means I'll have to tag it everytime, correct?

As a result, if for example, I have multiple ebooks from one recipe, the differentiating factor in the e-reader will be the date in the title, correct?

Using collections and tagging seems to organize stuff in the Collections list just fine, and I guess I can always go to that list instead of the Books list when looking for reading material.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
So everytime I fetch news for a recipe, Calibre will create a new ebook, correct? Which means I'll have to tag it everytime, correct?
Just discovered that each recipe can be auto-tagged, so that eliminates having to tag every ebook generated by a news fetch.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I think I'll skip the Google Reader recipe route because I have many, many more feeds in G-reader than I want to read on my e-reader, and the article mixing is the nail in the coffin.
I may be wrong but I think the recipe for Google reader will only download the feeds that are in folders.

Quote:
Each book created by recipe automatically has the news tag associated with it. If you schedule download you can click the advance tab and assign tags that will be used every time you download that recipe.

Quote:
As a result, if for example, I have multiple ebooks from one recipe, the differentiating factor in the e-reader will be the date in the title, correct?
Sounds right to me.

When you get to the point of creating recipes address your queries to the Custom recipes sticky thread.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
Daanish87
Daanish87 began at the beginning.

Hi Guys, sort of related, but I want to download the print version of the investment executive. The normal URL is:

http://www.investmentexecutive.com/c...on=149&cat=149

Where as the print version is:

I was using this site : http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...sion#portfolio

to figure out how to download the print version. It says to replace the old URL with the print URL. But Im not sure how to do this with the above to URL's. I would appreciate some insight as to how to do this.

Thanks
Daanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanish87 View Post
Hi Guys, sort of related, but I want to download the print version of the investment executive. The normal URL is:

to figure out how to download the print version. It says to replace the old URL with the print URL. But Im not sure how to do this with the above to URL's. I would appreciate some insight as to how to do this.

Thanks
For the best feedback and assistance this should be posted in the custom recipes sticky thread.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
Daanish87

Quote:
For the best feedback and assistance this should be posted in the custom recipes sticky thread.
Thanks, have done so
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks, have done so
I'm glad you moved it but I liked your first request for help on how to do a specific thing and the willingness to try and learn how to create a recipe. You'll receive better feedback and guidance on a question to learn how versus a request for someone else to do the work.

Someone may create it for you or you may be ignored.

Personally I would edit the post to include a request for info.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
Daanish87

Quote:
I'm glad you moved it but I liked your first request for help on how to do a specific thing and the willingness to try and learn how to create a recipe. You'll receive better feedback and guidance on a question to learn how versus a request for someone else to do the work.

Someone may create it for you or you may be ignored.

Personally I would edit the post to include a request for info.
Thanks, that is good advice, I will change my wording.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:

Thanks
I don't have experience you may need but now that you have the question over in custom recipes here is what I think will return the print version for you.

Code:
    def print_version(self, url):
        return url.replace('http://www.investmentexecutive.com/client/en/News/DetailNews.asp?', 'http://www.investmentexecutive.com/client/en/News/ImprimerDetail.asp?')