Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
DR800 in direct sunlight

A question to the lucky owners of the DR800 -- did you notice any fading of the text in direct sunlight, as it happens with many other e-ink screens? I'm just wondering if the technology of the screens improved since my Sony 505 (mine fades a lot in the sun), or does the DR800 have the same problem. Thanks!
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by al35 View Post
A question to the lucky owners of the DR800 -- did you notice any fading of the text in direct sunlight, as it happens with many other e-ink screens? I'm just wondering if the technology of the screens improved since my Sony 505 (mine fades a lot in the sun), or does the DR800 have the same problem. Thanks!
I think the problem with text fading is more optical illusion than anything else. The light source is so strong that it highlights the fact that the text you are looking at isn't really "black", it's more a really, really dark gray. In dimmer light such as lamp light or just natural daytime light indoors or in shade, the text looks blacker. With the full brightness of the sun, your eyes perceive it for what it really is, and that makes it look like it "fades." If I'm correct, you will encounter this issue with all e-ink screens, not just the Sony.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I think the problem with text fading is more optical illusion than anything else.
No, it's most certainly more than illusion. It's very easy to see -- if you hold the device so that half of the screen is in the shade and half in the sunlight, and then refresh the page, you'll see a clear difference in contrast between the two halves. If your screen doesn't behave like this, then you are lucky to get one of the good ones.
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've never heard any technical explanation of exactly why this happens, nor have seen any official statements that it's been solved. The phenomenon definitely exists, but any reasons behind it seem to be nothing more than speculation. I assume it's inherent in eInk in general, and will effect all devices to a degree.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I had a 505 with screen looking perfectly in direct sunlight.
I also had a 600 with text fading in direct sunlight.
I know the difference between fading and not fading, so I can confirm that this is a real problem for some eink screens.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by al35 View Post
I'm using an Irex for several years and haven't seen a decrease of quality. I don't think that the 800s will be any different (it will have the same technology).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you get a Vizplex EInk reader that fades in direct sunlight that is a manufacturing defect and you should be able to return it for a replacement that does not have the problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I am curious on the real cause of this. Is it only sunlight or any bright light? The difference is that sunlight also brings along heat and UV. I wonder what would happen if you cover half the screen and expose the other half to a bright florescent light (less heat). Or expose the uncovered half to the sun from the inside side of a window on a cool day.

If it's UV, there are UV light bulbs to test this out. I've heard that the Que has an UV protective coating on its screen. Perhaps that's the difference? I've also heard that regular plastic can block out most of the UV, so touch-enabled sony devices may be more protected.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you get a Vizplex EInk reader that fades in direct sunlight that is a manufacturing defect and you should be able to return it for a replacement that does not have the problem.
Do you have any sources for the information that it is a manufacturing defect, or that it has anything to do with Vizplex?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Do you have any sources for the information that it is a manufacturing defect, or that it has anything to do with Vizplex?
Pre-Vizplex EInk, e.g. on early iLiads, was susceptible to fading. We know that the majority of Vizplex screens don't fade, and Amazon replaced Kindles if the owners complained of fading. Amazon has lenient return policies, but replacing the Kindle would not work if most screens fade.

If you get a fading screen, ask for a new one. The vendors don't advertise that this is a potential problem because most EInk screens are not used outdoors and some owners won't complain about the fading.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I think the problem with text fading is more optical illusion than anything else. The light source is so strong that it highlights the fact that the text you are looking at isn't really "black", it's more a really, really dark gray. In dimmer light such as lamp light or just natural daytime light indoors or in shade, the text looks blacker. With the full brightness of the sun, your eyes perceive it for what it really is, and that makes it look like it "fades." If I'm correct, you will encounter this issue with all e-ink screens, not just the Sony.
You can see samples of the defective fading screens here and here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can see samples of the defective fading screens here and here.
That certainly shows that it is not just peoples perception of a problem.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Wow, never had that on any of my devices and I've had quite a few. I routinely read while outside as well.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Pre-Vizplex EInk, e.g. on early iLiads, was susceptible to fading. We know that the majority of Vizplex screens don't fade, and Amazon replaced Kindles if the owners complained of fading.
So no official information, just empirical evidence and speculation?

We're still in the same boat with this we've always been, nobody really knows what causes it.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Always falling back on the paper book model - I don't read books printed on paper in direct sunlight. I don't use my laptop computer in direct sun either. Why would I expect an EReader to be any different? Find a bit of shade...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote