Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
New windows build and installer

Hi All,

I finally finished a new custom windows build and installer (dumping py2exe). The new build no longer needs to be in the PATH and the command line tools should work from anywhere. Also DLL loading has been cleaned up and made more robust. Also the entire calibre stack is now built with Microsoft tools on windows, hopefully making things more robust. Please test

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downlo...bre-0.6.16.msi

Note that you should uninstall the old calibre install before installing this (while not strictly necessary, it will help avoid confusion). The new build will automatically detect and use your old settings/library. I've tested it on XP 32bit, Vista 32 bit and Vista 64bit. I would be particularly interested in whether it works on non english windows installs.

Thanks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are the various components now found? If the PATH is not relevant does this mean that the ability run Calibre from a USB stick without it being installed on the target machine has now gone?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're located relative to the directory containing the executables. Should be no problem running a portable version of calibre.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tried the new installer. It did not offer me a choice of where to install it - it just seemed to install it under my profile (under C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apps\Calibre - E-book Management). That is not where I normally install Calibre and one does not normally expect applications in Windows to be installed under a user's profile. I would have expected to be offered a default of C:\Program Files\Calibre with an option to change it.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Click the Advanced Button.

EDIT: And the location of Application Data is recommend by Microsoft for per user installs of software.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
OK - you can do that, but it was not very intuitive.

Any reason that you need the Advanced button at all? Could the Install button not simply take you the dialog that comes up when you select Advanced? Pressing Next from there a few times seems to take you through the default install anyway.

Quote:
EDIT: And the location of Application Data is recommend by Microsoft for per user installs of software.
We obviously interpret the Microsoft recommendation differently! I always understood it to mean that the per-user application data goes there - not the actual binaries. However you may be right in your interpretation of what is meant.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

Are you sure?

Google Chrome installs there, too, and it's annoying.

I understood the Application Data location being intended for user specific stuff, like configurations data, while application binaries lived under Program Files, with the general assumption being that more than one user might use a machine.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I don't actually specify the use of Application Data that is automatically chosen by the windows installer software. I believe in windows server 2008 and higher microsoft implements a per user Program Files folder which will then be used for these types of installs.

As for why the advanced button - because I hate extra clicks. Since most people don't care about the advanced features if the installation there's no need to make them click through the screen.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Marshal Kilgore
Enthusiast
Marshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the endMarshal Kilgore knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: PocketBook 631
Thumbs up Localization and new build works fine, but some quirks to report:

Quote:
... I finally finished a new custom windows build and installer (dumping py2exe). ... I would be particularly interested in whether it works on non english windows installs. ...
My System:
- Windows XP Professional SP3 (fully patched and updated, albeit heavily slimmed with nLite.)
- Localization: German (but the "Dokumente und Einstellungen=Documents and Settings" folder has been renamed "Benutzerprofile" (user profiles) and "Eigene Dateien=My Documents" has been moved to drive D:\.)
- Calibre v. 0.6.16.

First I tested an update, using the 'Advanced' option:
- Uninstalled calibre (small bug: old uninstaller failed to delete itself) and run new Windows installer, using the 'Advanced' option.
- Chose 'Install for all users'.
- Installer proposed "C:\Programme=Programs\Calibre - E-book Management" as default installation folder.
- On first run, calibre detected the configuration files in "%appdata%\calibre" and applied these settings.

Then I simulated a clean install, using the 'Install' option:
- Uninstalled calibre, deleted all *.py-files manually and run new Windows installer, using the 'Install' option.
- Calibre was automatically installed in the correctly localized equivalent of "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apps\Calibre - E-book Management" (as reported by itimpi.)

Localization and new build works fine (albeit no responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information.)

But there are some quirks with the installer:
- 'Install' should use the same default installation folder as 'Advanced'. If this behavior is really automatically chosen by the windows installer software, maybe it's because calibre is only installed for the active user when choosing 'Install'.
- The font for the license text is IMHO too large, especially in relation to the installer's window (albeit no one reads that stuff anyway.)
- All files are copied write-protected to the installation folders.

With a clean install, the first-run wizard suggests "C:\Benutzerprofile\<user>\Calibre Bibliothek=C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Calibre Library" for calibre's internal database, instead of a subfolder of "My Documents".
If that's not intended, the wizard fails to recognize where "My Documents" has been moved on my system.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for such a great project which gets improved at a rate that puts most commercial software to shame!
Marshal Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks for the detailed report.

The installation location depends on whether you chose a per user or a system wide install. By default, a per user install is performed and windows chooses the location of Application Data

If you choose system wide the default location is Program Files and the installer allows you to change it.

I'll reduce the font size in the license file.

The files are meant to be copied write protected. The program's files are not meant to be edited by the user or indeed by the program itself.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
No problems on my work Windows XP SP3 machine (that is a big font )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

I have just installed 0.6.17 on XP+SP3.

I could not get the command line tools to run unless I was either in the Calibre install folder, or until I added it to the search path. It was stated that it was no longer necessary to have the Calibre install folder in the search path but that does not appear to work.

On that basis, is it possible to change the default under the Advanced install back to being C:\Program Files\Calibre ? The new long name takes up valuable Environment space when it needs to be added to the PATH variable.

Alternatively if it can be set up so that the PATH statement is not required that would also be fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Thanks for the new version. Installed successfully.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Hi Kovid
I just installed on XP+SP3. It looks like I can't link my lrf files to be opened automatically with either e-book viewer or lrf viewer. When I try to open any book I get the pick a prog page and when I choose e-book or lrf viewer they don't show up in the - Always open with:.... Page.
The viewers work when I first import into calibre.

Last edited by mazzeltjes; 10-10-2009 at 07:16 AM.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@itimpi: Works for me. What error do you get when you run the CLI tools? I don't want to change the default back to the old folder as there will be people that will not uninstall the old version and this will cause problems.

@mazzeltjes: Could you opena ticket, I'll take a look at it later.