Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Kobo Patch GUI

Introducing Kobo Patch GUI

This is a simple GUI for editing the unofficial kobo patch files. It is written in Python, and uses Tk/Tkinter for its interface.

The GUI is currently quite limited. It has the following features:
  • Enable/Disable patches
  • Disable all patches
  • Checking for mutually exlusive options*
  • Crude tooltip help

There is currently no way of making custom changes (such as changing margins, etc) or saving changes for the next version of patches. I hope to be able to create these features someday.

Download

Downloads are available from github here.

Installation/Usage

Unzip the archive to a folder of your choosing and run KoboPatchGUI.pyw.

Python 2.7.x or 3.4.x+ is required to run this GUI. For Windows users, a standard installation of Python should be sufficient. Linux users may require Tk from their distro's software repository. Mac OS X users will have to tell me if the program works or not, as I am unable to test.

The GUI works best with the latest versions of the Patch files provided by GeoffR, from version 3.19.5613. Note that GeoffR has added a feature in the patch files to assist this GUI, which was NOT in the initial release. It his highly recommended to download the latest version of the patch before using this GUI.

USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK. WHILE IT SHOULDN'T CAUSE ISSUES, I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL NOT.

Note that I am at best a part time hobby programmer. Therefore my code may not follow all best practices, or be all that efficient.

The code can be found at my Github account here. I welcome any improvements or added features.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe a dumb suggestion but if you were able to use the QT framework rather than Tk / Tkinter people could use the python environment supplied by calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a) I don't (yet) know PyQt
b) It would mean that those who for whatever reason don't have calibre installed would have to install PyQt as a dependency. On linux, this isn't a problem. On Windows....

EDIT: And yes, I know that Tk is not the prettiest interface in the world.

Last edited by sherman; 12-31-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I really like this. I have often thought of how wonderful a GUI would be for patching the firmware files.

I always envisioned it having it prompt for the model of kobo, firmware version wanted and then download the firmware and patch files for the model and firmware version selected, extract them and then prompt the user for what to patch, and then display the end KoboRoot.tgz file. This should be possible as all the links are available for both the firmware and patch files...but this is just what I envisioned a GUI patcher to be.

Keep up the good work, wish I could help but I can't program.

Last edited by freekobo; 12-31-2015 at 06:09 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
a) I don't (yet) know PyQt
b) It would mean that those who for whatever reason don't have calibre installed would have to install PyQt as a dependency. On linux, this isn't a problem. On Windows....

EDIT: And yes, I know that Tk is not the prettiest interface in the world.
Doesn't PyQt offer binary Windows downloads? What is the problem?

Anyway I would think you'd want to use PyInstaller or similar to create a standalone executable -- save people from having to install python. So it shouldn't matter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 04:27 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I like it too, good work .

1) Part of the patches don't work together like:
Code:
patch_name = `Disable reading footer`
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
So maybe you can add a Warning pop-up.

Edit: i can see you add this in the new version 3.19.5613.
I add "# patch_group =...." to the files in 3.13.1.

2)If you add a patch and save the changes, it still show "patch_enable = `no`" in the yellow pop-up .

Last edited by oren64; 01-01-2016 at 05:24 AM. Reason: i can see you add this in the new version 3.19.5613.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I like it too, good work .

1) Part of the patches don't work together like:
Code:
patch_name = `Disable reading footer`
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
So maybe you can add a Warning pop-up.

Edit: i can see you add this in the new version 3.19.5613.

2)If you add a patch and save the changes, it still show "patch_enable = `no`" in the yellow pop-up .
Yeah, that's the "help" text, and once set (when the files are initially read), they don't change.

The "help" tooltips are currently very crude, it just shows everything between the <Patch></Patch> tags in the files. I and/or GeoffR needs to come up with a better method for delimiting appropriate help text that the GUI can read.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #8
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
I like it!

thanks
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
sherman
Guru

You're welcome!