Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
HyphenDicts

This is an updated/modernized version of a small hack I previously posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80#post3004080

It moves the hyphenation dictionaries from the system partition to the user partition in .addons/hyphendicts/ so you can edit them easily, and even add new ones for other languages [whether Kobo will actually use them is another matter], or disable hyphenation altogether by removing/renaming the dictionary files.

Filenames for hyphenation dictionaries must be like hyph_xx_YY.dic, all other files will be ignored.

To uninstall, create .addons/hyphendicts/uninstall

Note that uninstalling will not restore the original hyphenation dictionaries... you get those with every firmware update, or just keep a backup of the original files and put them in .addons/hyphendicts/ before uninstalling.

Update: Didn't work for GloHD/KA1
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot-HyphenDicts-20160918.zip (1.5 KB, 578 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-18-2016 at 02:20 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sounds like what Koreader has in ../.adds/koreader/data/hyph/

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does it bring its own dictionaries, or move the system ones? In the latter case it would probably clash with this one. If it brings its own, there is no problem, you just have to put your custom ones in two different locations then...
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KOReader has its own dictionary searchpath, and bundles its own hyphenation dicts.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
This is an updated/modernized version of a small hack I previously posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80#post3004080

It moves the hyphenation dictionaries from the system partition to the user partition in .addons/hyphendicts/ so you can edit them easily, and even add new ones for other languages [whether Kobo will actually use them is another matter], or disable hyphenation altogether by removing/renaming the dictionary files.

Filenames for hyphenation dictionaries must be like hyph_xx_YY.dic, all other files will be ignored.

To uninstall, create .addons/hyphendicts/uninstall

Note that uninstalling will not restore the original hyphenation dictionaries... you get those with every firmware update, or just keep a backup of the original files and put them in .addons/hyphendicts/ before uninstalling.
Hello Frostschutz,

If I use the patch, does Kobo know where to look for the hyphenation dictionaries? Does it use the new path?
Wird der neue Pfad verwendet, oder muss man die dicts zurück schieben?
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post
If I use the patch, does Kobo know where to look for the hyphenation dictionaries? Does it use the new path?
Sure... would be pointless otherwise?

If changes don't take right away, you might have to reboot... Kobo might load the dictionary and cache it and thus not see the changes until the reader restarts...

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-05-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
frapperla
frapperla began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I don't understand how this mod works. What steps have I to do in order to obtain it on my Kobo?
Thank you for patience...
frapperla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

Just download and install it, like any other mod?

You have to copy the TGZ file onto the reader as in .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

After install / reboot, the files should appear in .addons/hyphendicts

Use a proper editor to change them. (not MS Notepad/Wordpad, those break the files)

Last edited by frostschutz; 01-29-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
tlib
tlib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kobo e-readers
Hi,
I copied the tgz-file into .kobo directory but the installation doesn't start. What should I do?
tlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #10
frapperla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlib View Post
Hi,
I copied the tgz-file into .kobo directory but the installation doesn't start.
Thank you for your indications, but I have the same problem. :S
Old 01-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frapperla View Post
Thank you for your indications, but I have the same problem. :S
Extract the SOMENAME.tgz file from the zip archive and rename it to KoboRoot.tgz. Then copy this KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory of your device.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #12
frapperla

Problem solved!
Thank you everybody!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #13
tlib
tlib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kobo e-readers
Thank you frostschutz and tshering! This is what I did after I noticed that Kobo won't recognize Finnish language hyphenation file: I changed all my Finnish language books to the Dutch language in Calibre; then I copied my Finnish language hyphenation file and renamed it to match the Dutch hyphenation file name and transferred it to Kobo; after that I removed all my Finnish language books from Kobo and transferred them back from Calibre. The result: finally my Finnish language books have a working hyphenation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	talous.png
Views:	657
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	146189  
tlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Updated it to also work with GloHD/KA1 (same udev rule issue as my other mods).
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 AM   #15
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo uses it's own hyphen dict format, or other formats can be used? For example from KOreader.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote