Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
ezuk
ezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watch

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Kindle Paperwhite: Frotz or other Z-Machine interpreter?

Hey guys,

Running a stock Kindle Paperwhite. Considering jailbreaking it just to play some Zork. Found the Frotz thread, but it appears to be for the Touch only (not Paperwhite). I posted a question there just to make sure, but then I realized Frotz may not be the only way to play Zork.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this with the Paperwhite? I want Zork on the device itself, not via a website.

Thanks in advance.
ezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
IIRC you download the files. the Zork thingy etc. into a local folder.

it's been almost a year but I think you do that?

Quote:
You can also create the folder /mnt/us/if/ and put your game files in it.

Last edited by twobob; 12-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
ezuk
ezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watchezuk is clearly one to watch

Right, it's been almost a year, and the PaperWhite isn't a year old.... Has anyone here tried this?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah - Attitude much.

Since I used that app.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezuk View Post
Right, it's been almost a year, and the PaperWhite isn't a year old.... Has anyone here tried this?
A quick search of MobileRead and its index wikis will show that this HAS been tried and proven to work on various kindle models.

Some hacks (especially native mode apps) work on all eink kindles. Some kindle models ARE more than one year old.

Sarcastic derision aimed at one of our most prolific and generous contributors is neither necessary nor welcome. Please be nice to twobob and others here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Sarcastic derision aimed at one of our most prolific and generous contributors is neither necessary nor welcome. Please be nice to twobob and others here.
If he wanted the chance of being pelted with rotten fruit and loud Boos - he would go back to being a RockStar. Please don't chase him away.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
ezuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yeah - Attitude much.

Since I used that app.

Good luck
I do apologize -- I didn't mean to come off with an attitude. I appreciate your help, and I'm very sorry if my reply was impolite. That wasn't my intention, and thank you for trying to help.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
ezuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A quick search of MobileRead and its index wikis will show that this HAS been tried and proven to work on various kindle models.
I've done more than a quick search. I'm new to the forum and MobileRead, but spent about an hour researching before I posted my original question. Any links would be appreciated.

Quote:
I did not mean to employ neither sarcasm nor derision, and I've apologized to twobob personally for my reply. I'll certainly be more careful in the future.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
twobob

Meh its cool. I try not to bear grudges any longer than a decade.

You get this sorted?

Far as I can think this should "just work" on the PW: aside from needing a launcher.

how are you proposing to run the app once it is installed?

Assuming some natty solution that that... and that the PW does indeed still follow the awesome window-naming conventions of the touch close enough to "show it on the screen" without code edits...

Then you should be golden. I see you list a "3" as your device, much similar to on there - without the helpful buttons, launchers, docs, guide.... (I wont go on, this is kind of new waters)

TBH I would have just tested it and reported HOWTO before now If I had a PW device, but I don't so apologies - from here you are on your own... without some measurable actions on your part

Try it. Report where you fail if you fail. Take it from there

Last edited by twobob; 01-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezuk View Post
I've done more than a quick search. I'm new to the forum and MobileRead, but spent about an hour researching before I posted my original question. Any links would be appreciated.
Here is a thread from the top of the forum search results for "frotz" (and there are more):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186007

And here is one from the K3 index wiki:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126768

That is what you are looking for, right? It only took seconds to do these searches. What did you try?

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
twobob

Done.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=17

Was just a matter of time.

Tags
frotz, paperwhite