Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Archos has started looking interesting

Archos showed their G9 series in IFA. Here is the link on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/02/a...ands-on-video/

The Archos link itself
http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/...try=gb&lang=en

And finally the price:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k78JuwhhGjQ

Archos 80 G9 looks really interesting with nifty specs:

Display 8”: 1024 x 768
Processor ARM dual-core CORTEX A9 OMAP™ 4 up to 1.5 GHz
Capacity 8 or 16GB
Dimensions & weight 226 mm x 155 mm x 11.7 mm (8.90 x 6.11 x 0.46 inch) - 465g (17 oz)
Battery life Music playback time7: up to 36 hrs
Video playback time7: up to 7 hrs
Internet navigation time 7: up to 10 hrs
Price: 8GB - 249.99, 16GB - 279.99, 250 GB - 329 (Euros)

Apart from being a bit chunky and higher side of weight, it looks like a nice device.

din

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-03-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: double "has"
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I've had an Archos 101 from the previous generation since March and I'm happy with it. The g9 has better specs, but maybe I'll upgrade next year, with a g10.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
I have like Archos for a while BUT some of their stuff has been not bad but not stellar or problem free either. I never have figured out if they are worth the effort of not. I just worry they might not be using the best components they could.

I do really like this new SIM stick with the removable SIM card. I really, really love that feature. It's something all brands should be doing.

I do wish they would add a tablet with a matte screen vs. these darned high-gloss reflector dishes they all use.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
I have like Archos for a while BUT some of their stuff has been not bad but not stellar or problem free either. I never have figured out if they are worth the effort of not. I just worry they might not be using the best components they could.
For half the price of most of the others? I don't see why you would be expecting stellar. And I like the build quality. I've heard people say that it looks cheap, but I've let it in the hands of the 1 year old daughter of a friend, who also stepped on it on one occasion, and there have been no problems.
There are some issues, at least with the g8. One thing is the fact that if if you have the brightness of the screen on minimum, the screen doesn't turn on when you take it out of sleep mode. Problem solved by not having the brightness setting to exactly minimum. But I hope that they solved these things with the new gen.

What I do love about their marketing strategy is the fact that they have many options for the devices, so there are enough options for screen size and disk size.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
For half the price of most of the others? I don't see why you would be expecting stellar. And I like the build quality. I've heard people say that it looks cheap, but I've let it in the hands of the 1 year old daughter of a friend, who also stepped on it on one occasion, and there have been no problems.
There are some issues, at least with the g8. One thing is the fact that if if you have the brightness of the screen on minimum, the screen doesn't turn on when you take it out of sleep mode. Problem solved by not having the brightness setting to exactly minimum. But I hope that they solved these things with the new gen.

What I do love about their marketing strategy is the fact that they have many options for the devices, so there are enough options for screen size and disk size.
And I in no way would imagine why I would demand anything less than stellar for my hard earned cash.

I do not see why my personal opinion seems to cause you a need to belittle my expression of my needs, observations or questions. Sorry if my observations about the brand causes you irritation. Not my intention at all.

I wrote what I feel and my concerns. Feel free to explain your experiences but do not question my personal decisions. Like most people I am not commenting looking to be convinced by some random person on the web to make a decision. I look for personal experiences or research results. A nice exchange of info is great but beyond that is tedious and pointless.

There are corners which have been cut over the years by Archos. Doesn't mean it's a bad product but at the same time it does mean it is a bit expensive for a roll of the dice. Not sure if I mentioned it but was down that road with the crappy Nokia internet tablets a few years back, and that is a big company but the tablets were Mickey Mouse garbage in the long run. My old PDA's were more durable and in fact still work fine after far more use.

I visit Anythingbutipod.com often as well as the site to Archos devices ArchosFans.com. Lots of details can be found on both sites of the strengths and weaknesses in each model.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
I do not see why my personal opinion seems to cause you a need to belittle my expression of my needs, observations or questions. Sorry if my observations about the brand causes you irritation. Not my intention at all.
I'm not irritated, and my surprise came because of the price thing, not the brand. If you would have said that when you go to the market you want the same quality from half price oranges as from full price oranges I would have had the same reaction.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Display 8”: 1024 x 768
Processor ARM dual-core CORTEX A9 OMAP™ 4 up to 1.5 GHz
Capacity 8 or 16GB
Dimensions & weight 226 mm x 155 mm x 11.7 mm (8.90 x 6.11 x 0.46 inch) - 465g (17 oz)
Battery life Music playback time7: up to 36 hrs
Video playback time7: up to 7 hrs
Internet navigation time 7: up to 10 hrs
Price: 8GB - 249.99, 16GB - 279.99, 250 GB - 329 (Euros)

Apart from being a bit chunky and higher side of weight, it looks like a nice device.

din
I'm rather digging the specs. That, and a 250GB storage space sounds great for having a ton of movies on the go and such.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Any info on the price of the 10" model?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I saw this product leaked a while back. it looks good and works great as a media tablet. but there screens usually are not the best. that is one area I don't like to concede even for a low cost tablet.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
I use my 250Gb Archos 70IT as an ebook reader and I'm very pleased with it. The screen seems perfectly adequate both for reading, surfing, reviewing photos and watching videos. The massive solid state HD is great. WiFi performance is good too.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.W. Singer View Post
I use my 250Gb Archos 70IT as an ebook reader and I'm very pleased with it. The screen seems perfectly adequate both for reading, surfing, reviewing photos and watching videos. The massive solid state HD is great. WiFi performance is good too.
What do you mean by solid state HD?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
What do you mean by solid state HD?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive <- Basically, it's either a diskless hard drive with limited writes or a faster and sturdier version of a USB flash drive/SD memory card. Very expensive ($1.00+ per gigabyte), especially when you get up there to the 250GB range.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive <- Basically, it's either a diskless hard drive with limited writes or a faster and sturdier version of a USB flash drive/SD memory card. Very expensive ($1.00+ per gigabyte), especially when you get up there to the 250GB range.
Flash drives and solid state drives are based on the same diskless concept. In fact, some legitimately use the terms interchangeably. But I think what most refer to as flash drives use a slower technology/channel design. Whereas the term (enterprise) solid state drives often refer to those designed towards performance.

My laptop has SSD and it flies....when performing any tasks that access the hard drives, the difference (compared to the traditional SATA hard drive) not just noticeable but at times stunning. People who run local databases for development, etc will benefit the most whereas those who do most of their work in memory (spreadsheets, etc..) will only see marginal improvement.

Last edited by Boston; 09-04-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.W. Singer View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the 250 GB storage is a plain old, rotating magnetic hard disk, not an SSD. From the Archos website:

Quote:
Product capacity • Flash Serie: 8 GB**** flash memory + Micro SD Slot (SDHC compatible)
• Hard Drive Disk Serie : Hard Drive: 250 GB**** Hard Drive
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
din155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the 250 GB storage is a plain old, rotating magnetic hard disk, not an SSD. From the Archos website:
Thanks. I thought so but didn't search enough.