Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #1081
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

- Google Translate. If you are reading foreign language books with compound verb tesnes, that can be a godsend. Maybe add it as an option in the dictionaries menu? So it would default to the onboard one as now, but then if you go into where you can pick a translation dictionary, there will be a new Google Translate option?
Google translate is a pretty neat and useful thing, but as Sony can attest, building your interface / feature list on free Google API that they aren't contracturally obliged to maintain might not be a wise investment.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1082
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
- Some kind of archived items or past purchases menu choice. I still have not figured out how to get at my past purchases which I removed from my 'I'm reading' but they are still in my account. Even from my computer, I can't figure it out.
Unfortunately, you have to do it from the website. Log in, find the book in your purchased books, select it and press the "Bookmark" button. It will ask you to if you want to set the current page to page 1 (or something like that). The book will be downloaded the next time you do a sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1083
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
- Some kind of archived items or past purchases menu choice. I still have not figured out how to get at my past purchases which I removed from my 'I'm reading' but they are still in my account. Even from my computer, I can't figure it out.
It's not really obvious. What you need to do is go into your account on your computer, tick the box beside the book you want back onto your Kobo in your Purchased tab, click the BOOKMARK button at the top of the list, and on your next sync it should sync back onto your Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #1084
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I think the new kobos with 2.1.5 firmware are now excellent, possibly even best of breed, text readers.
Well, maybe for epub, but reading a PDF is painful. There are several good PDF viewers for Linux, surely they could adapt one for the Kobo.
timss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #1085
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
PDF support is never going to be ideal on any e-ink device due to the size & nature of the screen. Unfortunately larger e-unk devices never took off and the way e-ink works makes zooming painful, even on pinch-to-zoom capable devices.

That being said, I find my Touch a great device to bring my pdf gaming books to a gaming session.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #1086
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware request

I really appreciate to see landscape mode for epub in the next firmware.

In this way it will be possible to hold the kobo from the bottom with one end, so it will be useful a "reversible landscape mode"
zavidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #1087
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'd really like to see that "Kobo Styling" checkbox renamed to "Prioritize User Settings" and have them actually override margin/justification settings of the e-book.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1088
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I'd really like to see that "Kobo Styling" checkbox renamed to "Prioritize User Settings" and have them actually override margin/justification settings of the e-book.
I'd like to see the "Kobo Styling" checkbox renamed "Gangnam Styling" and when checked would randomly show an animation of the "invisible horse" dance.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #1089
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I'd like to see the "Kobo Styling" checkbox renamed "Gangnam Styling" and when checked would randomly show an animation of the "invisible horse" dance.
That just made my day!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #1090
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavidos View Post

In this way it will be possible to hold the kobo from the bottom with one end, so it will be useful a "reversible landscape mode"
Yes, that would be nice.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #1091
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I've had some decent success converting PDF to epubs with Calibre. One of the biggies is playing with the wrap setting so you don't end up with paragraphs turned into disjointed sentences and sentences turned into phrases split across multiple lines. Calibre defaults to .40 for that setting, and .05 seems to work much better -to make matters worse the hint for that setting made me want to increase rather than decrease the setting...

The find and replace makes it fairly easy to get rid of the built in page numbering and headers and/or footers that PDFs seem plagued with and allow the ereader to do the page numbering as one would like in a variable sized text based format like epub.

If my experience is typical, expect a good evening wasted putting it all together the first time around, but very gratifying results when you get it right and can enjoy the benefits of an epub rather than the aggravation of PDF viewing. I bet the next one I do takes no more than 15-30 minutes of twiddling about including Sigil.

A little work with Sigil can help clean things up if you'd like a decent table of contents and chapter headings as well.

Last edited by TechniSol; 11-28-2012 at 12:48 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #1092
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
[Quote:
Originally Posted by zavidos

In this way it will be possible to hold the kobo from the bottom with one end, so it will be useful a "reversible landscape mode" ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Yes, that would be nice.
I agree. I and many others have asked for this in the past. I just hope KOBO are listening this time.

I currently use my old Cool-er which is basic comapared with the Kobo but had a landscape mode from the beginning.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1093
sensoria
sensoria began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I'd love for the KT to display the book title in the page number footer... or have it all as a header with a line underneath, like a paper book. I read a lot of short stories, and sometimes I get halfway through a story and totally forget who and what I'm reading. :-)
sensoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #1094
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensoria View Post
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I'd love for the KT to display the book title in the page number footer... or have it all as a header with a line underneath, like a paper book. I read a lot of short stories, and sometimes I get halfway through a story and totally forget who and what I'm reading. :-)
I've recently started reading more anthologies, and have started to wonder the same about quick access to current chapter title. Maybe with a single click (eg where the time, font settings etc appear), rather than being constantly visible.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #1095
sensoria
sensoria began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've recently started reading more anthologies, and have started to wonder the same about quick access to current chapter title. Maybe with a single click (eg where the time, font settings etc appear), rather than being constantly visible.
That's a great option too. There's so much whitespace in that temporary header -- maybe instead of just the % read, it could have %read - [title] or [chapter title].
sensoria is offline   Reply With Quote