Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
It works

Rememeber that the USB charger is only a 5V source -- feeding the chager cable. By using the charger end of the cable (such as http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PSP-2-IN-1-...QQcmdZViewItem), the reader is not being charged through the USB port itself. Look at the cable and you will immediately understand.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK, right, that's what I said before . A cable which plugs into the charger socket of the Reader, such as the one you illustrate, will indeed work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2007, 03:07 AM   #18
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
well then your not charging from USB your charging from a 5.2v source INTO the 5.2v JACK (ie psp plug) we are talking about using the Mini A plug.

Yeah anything PSP will charge this (my Creative Vision also uses the same power supply :-) nice

ALSO for around $22 if you shop carefully you can get one of those lithium battery packs ofr ebay while its no where NEAR the rated 9800mah (runs my camcorder for about an hour so its about 1.1amp) its wonderful as a emergency charger for the reader. Plugs right in.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #19
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Yeah, I was going to suggest using one of the *dumb* USB chargers I've seen that's become so popular. I actually picked one up just in case I needed to charge something that only came with a USB cable (I have a Cube MP3 player that's pretty small, but only came with a friggin USB-to-headphone jack that needs to be charged this way). Haven't tried it with the Reader, but I may just to test it out. Why would it need to register a PC with Connect software to be able to accept power? Is this some limitation imposed by the underlying OS? Kinda strange, not to mention they would've had to coded it in there during dev, course Sony's done worse things.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The Reader is not recognized by Windows as a storage device (you cannot just transfer files to and from it through Windows Explorer, if you want to do that outside of Connect you need libprs500.)

It will charge on a Mac USB plug without a driver (good thing since there is no Sony supplied Mac driver or software, again, try libprs500.)

It is perhaps just one of those mysteries of the universe.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've even managed to charge my reader using a Freeloader solar-powered charger.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #23
nerys
Addict

the reason is actually pretty simply I think. In some cases either the USB port does not supply "dumb power" IE the computer shuts down the port unless it recognizes something plugged into it.

OR the device itself does not charge unless IT detects a connection is there and ignores dumb connections.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hah! I didn't think of it in that context; i.e., it's the PC not charging the Reader instead of the Reader not accepting juice. So given that, then you should be able to charge it using a stand-alone *dumb* charger. Considering that Patricia reports charging it via a solar USB charger, then the el-cheapo $5 USB charger will work.

Thanks Nerys, I guess sometimes I need to think outside of the box (though this time it was inside the box! ).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
So given that, then you should be able to charge it using a stand-alone *dumb* charger. Considering that Patricia reports charging it via a solar USB charger, then the el-cheapo $5 USB charger will work.
Try it. I'm 99% sure you'll find that it won't work. Certainly doesn't work with any of my "dumb" chargers.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #26
nerys
Addict

HarryT it works fine. in fact its how I have been charging my reader for the past 6 months. I lost the AC charger a long time ago. My cord has a USB Plug on one end and a "psp" plug on the other end. Charges up just fine on the computer and on the "dumb" charges I have all over the place. I have AC and DC version (AC plug with a USB port on it and 12v plug with a USB port on it)

On a charger like this its impossible for it NOT to work as long as the voltage etc.. is correct. there are only 2 conductors no "signal" wire so there is no way for the reader to make a determination as to what is sending the juice. if its the right juice it just accepts it. ie the sony charger is a "dumb charger" it just puts out 5.2v +tip 1amp power.

How you derive that power is not relevant so long as its correctly formatted power.

On another note I just put a meter to all my USB ports and they do put out constant power regardless of whats plugged into them.

On further reading it seems to depend on the DEVICE circuitry. ie there are 2 ways to "charge" via USB it seems. you can shunt the positive and negative from the USB pin outs to the charging jack (ie dumb charge) in which case plugging it in will work on either the barrel plug or the mini a usb plug.

OR you can route the power through a separate circuit in the device. in this case THAT circuit will need to "turn on" to do its job. this is a case where it may be required to have the sony software (only for the miniA jack not the barrel jack) since that circuit may need "conditions" to turn on such as a valid computer connection.

This is possible in the case of the reader since when FULLY dead the USB port my not provide enough amps to charge the device (90% of them will) but to play it safe this extra circuit would be designed to not accept the voltage if the amps are too low to not risk damaging the Lithium cells.

Every dumb charger I have seen puts out over 1amp which is why they all work fine. Plus there going through the Barrel Plug.

NOW if you took a MINI A plug into that dumb charger into the reader it MIGHT not work - I have never tried. I will try it later on and let you all know. but if you use PSP USB plug (get the one with JUST the barrel plug some have the barrel and MINIA) it will work just fine from any DUMB usb charger.

Again BARREL plug should work fine (I use over a half dozen of them all work) USB JACK (ie the MINI A port on the Reader) that might not work.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Last edited by nerys; 09-01-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Chris,

We're talking slightly at cross purposes.

Anything that plugs into the Reader's charger connector and supplies 5v-ish is going to work fine, I agree.

What I was talking about it plugging a cable from a dumb USB charger into the Reader's USB connector - ie, using the USB cable supplied with the Reader. That will not charge the Reader from a dumb charger.