Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
bobotter
bobotter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question about Kindle

Sorry, I'm just too darn lazy to look this up! How many Kindles can go on one account? Can all the Kindles on the same account access the same purchased content (share books, magazines, newspapers)? Thanks in advance for the info.
bobotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotter View Post
Sorry, I'm just too darn lazy to look this up! How many Kindles can go on one account? Can all the Kindles on the same account access the same purchased content (share books, magazines, newspapers)? Thanks in advance for the info.
Unlimited Kindles can be registered
6 Kindles can share ebook content
1 Kindle can read subscribed content

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Unlimited Kindles can be registered
6 Kindles can share ebook content
1 Kindle can read subscribed content

BOb
Isn't that "Up to 6 Kindles can share ebook content"?
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Actually, according to CS, that's a bit of a myth as well.

The actual number of Kindles that can share an ebook is decided by the publisher. They could make it so that only one Kindle can read it, even if there are other Kindles registered to the account. Or they could make it unlimited. Amazon *recommends*, and the default restriction, is 6 devices, and so far I don't know of anyone who has found a Kindle book that is anything other than that, but according to CS it's theoretically possible.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
Isn't that "Up to 6 Kindles can share ebook content"?

Up to 6

What's the difference?

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:

Up to 6

What's the difference?

BOb
If you have an extended family or group of friends sharing an account, it could be a huge difference if less than 6 is enforced on books they plan on all reading. There goes the economies of sharing an account.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
At least the Kindle doesn't make you burn one of the precious six slots on a PC like the Sony, which also enforces six devices currently. (when I got the PRS-700 I had to call Sony and have them manually remove older devices for me)

One thing I hope for that hasn't been mentioned is that the Kindle supports tossing content off a Kindle. If one can toss a book/newspaper off one device and then pick it up on another on the account I'd be pretty happy with that.

Perhaps this rumored future mobile sync will allow for this.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
If you have an extended family or group of friends sharing an account, it could be a huge difference if less than 6 is enforced on books they plan on all reading. There goes the economies of sharing an account.
So... I think what you are saying is that some books don't work on 6 kindles? Is this really true? I don't think it is. Can you show me a book in the kindle store that says it can only be used on X number of kindles where x < 6?

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
So... I think what you are saying is that some books don't work on 6 kindles? Is this really true? I don't think it is. Can you show me a book in the kindle store that says it can only be used on X number of kindles where x < 6?

BOb
Unfortunately, I saw it reported here...and its not posted on the store before you buy.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,4565.0.html
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote