Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Kobo Desktop 3.2.0

I've just upgrade my Kobo Desktop to 3.2.0 and I noticed when I restarted it I was told that one of the features in the new version is the ability to archive ebooks you don't want on your Kobo but that you don't want to delete from your Kobo account.

Does anyone know how I do this? I would have thought that the way to use this feature is to go into the Library tab and right-click on the book you want to archive, but this doesn't seem work. I can't find an Archive function anywhere!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hp?t=205788#13

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5788&page=2#17
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that. I can't seem to find the wrench icon that was mentioned, but I've replied over in that thread.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quick and dirty Archiving user guide

Here is how the desktop app works for the new archive function. This is based on notes I made while using beta versions. But, there have been some changes in the released version.

To start with, the function is on the "Library" tab. This lists all your books from Kobo, unless you have deleted them.

Next, the archive function is only available when a device is connected. When no device is connected, you can delete books from the apps library or download any newly purchased books. Books in the library that are being read, have a bookmark symbol sticking out the top of the book. But, there is no way to tell were in the book you are of if it is finished.

When a device is connected, if it has firmware version 2.4.0, you get the following:
  • Each book that is on the device has an icon to show this. It is a little ereader with a tick next to it.
  • A banner is displayed across the bottom of the list. It has:
    • "Kobo Glo Connected". I assume it will change to "Mini" or "Touch" for those devices.
    • The used space
    • A bar chart of the space used
    • The total space. This does not include the micro SD card.
    • A couple of buttons. The buttons are disabled unless a book is selected.
  • When a book is selected, the buttons are enabled dependent on whether the book is on the device.
    • If it is on the device, the button "Remove from reader" is enabled.
    • If it is not on the device, the button "Add to reader" is enabled.
    • If multiple books are selected, the buttons are enabled or disabled depending on the state of the selected books.
  • If you right click on a book, you get the following options:
    • Open - to read the book
    • View Detials - open pop up with book description.
    • Add to eReader - only if the book is not on the device
    • Remove from eReader - only if the book is on the device
    • Delete from Library - Delete from the library. If you want it back, you have to visit the web site.
  • The icon on the book changes depending on what is happening.
    • If you move the cursor over a book that is not on the device, an icon is added to add the book to the device.
    • If you put the cursor over the icon for a book on the device, it changes to an action to remove the book.
    • While a book is being sent to the device, the icon is changed to show this.

The "Remove from eReader" action is the same as the "Archive" action on the device. When you see the book on the device, it will have the download arrow over the cover and the library list will have the status "Tap to download". And the "Add to eReader" is the equivalent of tapping an archived book.

The main thing that is missing is the ability to maintain the on reader state when the reader is not connected. I would like to be able to do this so that when it is connected, everything is synced. The advantage of the way it works now is that it is easy to manage multiple devices that are logged into the same account.

I think that is it. Please tell me if you see a mistake or that I have missed something. Also complain if any of the above doesn't make sense or needs more explanation.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-17-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Finished.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
moffattm
Addict

Thanks for the detailed explanation, David.

I assume that for all of this to work you not only need the 3.2.0 Desktop but also the 2.4.0 firmware? That would explain why I'm not seeing any of this even though I have the 3.2.0 Desktop but not the 2.4.0 firmware on my Glo.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation, David.

I assume that for all of this to work you not only need the 3.2.0 Desktop but also the 2.4.0 firmware? That would explain why I'm not seeing any of this even though I have the 3.2.0 Desktop but not the 2.4.0 firmware on my Glo.
Didn't I say to come back when I was finished? Actually, thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten this.

And yes, the archiving actions are only available if the device firmware supports it.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
moffattm
Addict

Thanks, David, everything is now clear! Great write-up!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Thanks, David, everything is now clear! Great write-up!
couldn't agree more, great useful post!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Many thanks - am bookmarking this for when my Desktop updates
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The latest version of the desktop app is already downloadable from http://www.kobosetup.com/. I had to do this when I was writing my guide as I realised I was still running a beta.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The latest version of the desktop app is already downloadable from http://www.kobosetup.com/. I had to do this when I was writing my guide as I realised I was still running a beta.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's also available from http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • "Kobo Glo Connected". I assume it will change to "Mini" or "Touch" for those devices.
  • The used space
  • A bar chart of the space used
  • The total space. This does not include the micro SD card.
  • A couple of buttons. The buttons are disabled unless a book is selected.
Minor nit in that the total space does include the microSD card. Mine currently shows 16546MB as the maximum storage available. If I flip to the ereader tab, this is 1361MB from the internal card and 15185MB from the microSD card. The ereader tab shows 1165MB free on the onboard and 13549MB on the microSD card. The first number shown on the library tab is 1832MB which I take as the combined storage used on onboard and microSD card.

One feature I ran into by accident was that clicking on the Kobo reader icon next to the device type ejected the reader. No confirmation, just a popup that I had ejected my ereader.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-18-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: What? Me? Proofread?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit in that the total space does include the microSD card. Mine currently shows 16546MB as the maximum storage available. If I flip to the ereader tab, this is 1361MB from the internal card and 15185MB from the microSD card. The ereader tab shows 1165MB free on the onboard and 13549MB on the microSD card. The first number shown on the library tab is 1832MB which I take as the combined storage used on onboard and microSD card.
That was one of the changes I made from the beta. The device and Windows show the card, but the desktop app didn't. I'll have to try another card and see.
Quote:
One feature I ran into by accident was that clicking on the Kobo reader icon next to the device type ejected the reader. No confirmation, just a popup that I had ejected my ereader.
I didn't see that. But, if you put the cursor over the icon, it shows an eject symbol.