Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Artificer161
Artificer161 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak 5" Pocket Pro
Bad USB Cable and poor customer service with ASTAK

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had a bad USB cable come with there E reader?

I have a 5” Pocket Pro which seems to work ok. Did the firmware upgrade V2.02ASTAK.100320 But when I go to hook it up via the USB cable to my PC it will log on then off then on then off repeatedly.

If I move the USB cable around I can get it to stay logged on longer but this never lasts very long. To see if it was my PC that was the problem I took my e reader and cable over to several friends’ houses and had the same issue on 4 different PC’s and a Mac. So this leads me to conclude the cable is bad. However I can charge the E reader without issue with the wall plug set up.

So I called Astak talked with someone told them my issue and asked if they could send me a replacement cable. The answer I got was that they would call me back. Believing that the squeaky wheel gets the grease I sent them 2 e mails, one directly to the woman I talked to when I order my e reader and another to there customer service e mail. This all was 2 weeks ago and I have yet to receive a call back or any action at all from Astak.

Reading a lot of the posts on this Forum this lack of action didn’t surprise me to much. Disappointed me yes, surprised me no. So has anyone else out there had an issue with the USB cable?
Artificer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Well, with any luck, Jenifer will ride in on her white steed and continue her work to drive out the demons which seem to be possessing the support folk who appear not to have caught on yet that they are the ones in the best position to make or break Astak in the ereading arena.

Speaking of which, in the midst of typing this, Mr. FedEx guy showed up with my repaired PPro. Mailed it in Monday, have it back Saturday, and leave on a vacation tomorrow. I credit Jenifer for the speedy turn-around, considering the preceding 2 weeks.

(Got a house-sitter and security alarm, so don't waste your time trying to locate my house. )

Now to see if it works. (pretty sure it is a refurbished replacement, not my own unit with a replaced screen, so anything is possible)

Edit: -----------

Oh, my.

EAT THOSE WORDS eGeezer.

It is a brand new packaged unit with cover, charger, USB cable and earbuds, all packaged in separate original plastic bags.
I am astounded.

I am pretty sure it is one of the newer ones with a cover that doesn't make the paint peel. This inside of the cover is gray instead of light tan. This may be why it is new instead of a replaced screen, since 3/4 of the front paint was gone.

Okay. They got me. I'll be ordering a Plus when I get back off vacation.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-14-2010 at 07:59 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer161 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had a bad USB cable come with there E reader?

My first PEz (first batch, first week), had a bad USB connector, NOT cable. I had bought a spare cable at Fry's, sameo- If I held it just-so I then discovered the the PEz did not play nice with Intel 82801 USB drivers (3 PC's, 3 different Makes and models. All use Intel USB )
Anyway, Astak replaced the Unit (I made one of the First: "Paint Peel" reports).
BTW.the conector sort of snaps into place.
Don't force,just be firm.

Last edited by theducks; 08-14-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: USC cable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Don't wiggle either or you run the risk of break the USB header on the cable or the port in the PP.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
If its the port on the unit itself which is defective, you're screwed, but if its the cable, they're cheap enough to replace. Its a VERY standard cable--the same kind which comes with virtually every digital camera, a lot of cell phones/PDAs, a lot of GPS systems, etc. Google "mini usb to usb" and you'll find a jillion links where to buy it.

Maybe the need to do that is still annoying, but thankfully its not a huge investment.

My recommendation actually is to call up your friends and ask if anyone has one. Not for you to take, necessarily, but just for you to test with. If using their cable makes the problem go away, then you know its NOT the port inside the unit, and you can breathe a huge sigh of relief that its just a standard cheap cable.

As for Astak's support department? That lack of response is kind of typical. Maybe Jenifer CAN do something, because the fact that we ALL seem to feel that way ain't a good thing.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...the conector sort of snaps into place.
Don't force,just be firm.
If you have pushed it in enuff, you can hold the reader upsidedown and the cable won't fall out. If it hasn't "snapped" into place, it will, perhaps with a little shake.

You can test it for sure by holding the cable up and see if the ereader falls off, but be sure and have your hand under the ereader, of course.

Either way, if it doesn't separate, it is properly in, and you don't need to try to force it any further.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Artificer161

[QUOTE=eGeezer;1057908]Well, with any luck, Jenifer will ride in on her white steed and continue her work to drive out the demons which seem to be possessing the support folk who appear not to have caught on yet that they are the ones in the best position to make or break Astak in the ereading arena.

Edit: -----------

Oh, my.

EAT THOSE WORDS eGeezer.

It is a brand new packaged unit with cover, charger, USB cable and earbuds, all packaged in separate original plastic bags.
I am astounded.
QUOTE]

Ya lets hope that happens, whatever they are paying the teck support people should be cut in half. Happy to hear you got a new e reader.

[QUOTE=theducks;1057960]My first PEz (first batch, first week), had a bad USB connector, NOT cable. I had bought a spare cable at Fry's, sameo- If I held it just-so I then discovered the the PEz did not play nice with Intel 82801 USB drivers (3 PC's, 3 different Makes and models. All use Intel USB )
QUOTE]

Ya I tried another cable I have for a digital camera here and I seem to be having the same issue with the intel drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Don't wiggle either or you run the risk of break the USB header on the cable or the port in the PP.
Yes I know have had digital cameras for years. Had a buddy way back when the first digital cameras came out do that, never forgot how much $$$ it cost him to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
My recommendation actually is to call up your friends and ask if anyone has one. Not for you to take, necessarily, but just for you to test with. If using their cable makes the problem go away, then you know its NOT the port inside the unit, and you can breathe a huge sigh of relief that its just a standard cheap cable.

As for Astak's support department? That lack of response is kind of typical. Maybe Jenifer CAN do something, because the fact that we ALL seem to feel that way ain't a good thing.
Ya tried another one, now I have issues with the intel USB drivers. Buying another one is not the issue getting ASTAK to live up to there end of a transaction and replace a defective cable is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
If you have pushed it in enuff, you can hold the reader upsidedown and the cable won't fall out. If it hasn't "snapped" into place, it will, perhaps with a little shake.

You can test it for sure by holding the cable up and see if the ereader falls off, but be sure and have your hand under the ereader, of course.

Either way, if it doesn't separate, it is properly in, and you don't need to try to force it any further.
Yup got it, it’s the cable that came with the unit. Another cable I had here from a digital camera worked fine on a buddys mac book. Just having issues on my desktop now. I think it is what theducks said, not playing nice with the intel USB drivers. Seems to me that is an issue that would be nice to have fixed in a firmware update. Anyone here found a way around this issue on an intel based PC?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yup got it, it’s the cable that came with the unit. Another cable I had here from a digital camera worked fine on a buddys mac book. Just having issues on my desktop now. I think it is what theducks said, not playing nice with the intel USB drivers. Seems to me that is an issue that would be nice to have fixed in a firmware update. Anyone here found a way around this issue on an intel based PC?
Follw the second part of my notes. All you lose is USB2 speeds. If you don't use external drives or devices that MUST have fast connections.
The simplest USER patch is to have the PEz claim USB1.1 instead of USB2.x.
Since the PEZ works wit other USB2.0 computers, that puts the ball in Intel's field (and we know how much Joy they give :/ )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:

If I move the USB cable around I can get it to stay logged on longer but this never lasts very long. To see if it was my PC that was the problem I took my e reader and cable over to several friends’ houses and had the same issue on 4 different PC’s and a Mac. So this leads me to conclude the cable is bad. However I can charge the E reader without issue with the wall plug set up.

So I called Astak talked with someone told them my issue and asked if they could send me a replacement cable. The answer I got was that they would call me back. Believing that the squeaky wheel gets the grease I sent them 2 e mails, one directly to the woman I talked to when I order my e reader and another to there customer service e mail. This all was 2 weeks ago and I have yet to receive a call back or any action at all from Astak.

I just got back to work after the weekend, or I would have addressed this sooner. It does sound like you need a new USB cable, and I'm sorry you have not heard back from our support team yet. I'm not sure why they wouldn't address this.

As frustrating as it will be to write again, please send a very brief e-mail to support@astak.com. I find that if you ask for something outright, they will know how to best solve the issue. I will talk to our tech right now to make sure they take care of your issue today, or at the very least, write you back with a solution. Also, CC your email to support to me at jenifera@ezread.com, that way I can pester them even more.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
Artificer161

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Follw the second part of my notes. All you lose is USB2 speeds. If you don't use external drives or devices that MUST have fast connections.
The simplest USER patch is to have the PEz claim USB1.1 instead of USB2.x.
Since the PEZ works wit other USB2.0 computers, that puts the ball in Intel's field (and we know how much Joy they give :/ )
Thanks for the Info theducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.ezread View Post
I just got back to work after the weekend, or I would have addressed this sooner. It does sound like you need a new USB cable, and I'm sorry you have not heard back from our support team yet. I'm not sure why they wouldn't address this.

As frustrating as it will be to write again, please send a very brief e-mail to support@astak.com. I find that if you ask for something outright, they will know how to best solve the issue. I will talk to our tech right now to make sure they take care of your issue today, or at the very least, write you back with a solution. Also, CC your email to support to me at jenifera@ezread.com, that way I can pester them even more.
Brief e mail sent, thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Artificer161

Got the new cable, works great. Sorry I didn’t update this sooner, had a PC crash and just now have gotten everything sorted out. Thanks Jenifer!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
Got the new cable, works great. Sorry I didn’t update this sooner, had a PC crash and just now have gotten everything sorted out. Thanks Jenifer!
You're welcome, glad it worked out!
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote