Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Calibre renaming Kindle PDFs problem

When adding a PDF to Calibre, it appends the author name to the actual pdf filename, which creates a terrible looking entry on the Kindle, since the Kindle uses the PDF filename for its display title name (rather than the usual metadata):

The Cat In The Hat - Dr. Seuss .......... Dr. Seuss

Rather than the way all other books are properly displayed:

The Cat In The Hat .......... Dr. Seuss

Is there a fix for this issue other than simply loading PDFs directly to the Kindle without Calibre?

Thanks,
El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can set the Save to Device template to specify how Calibre should name the files sent to the Kindle
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can set the Save to Device template to specify how Calibre should name the files sent to the Kindle
Cool, that seems to work, but it appears to be a global setting. Unfortunately, now all my books will lose their author name in their filenames. (sigh).

Is there a way to get around the Kindle/PDF naming anomaly so that you can save regular mobi files as {Title} - {Author} and PDFs as simply {Title}?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No, as you said it is a global setting and not customisable by file type.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First, I don't have a Kindle so excuse any ignorance on my part below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
Cool, that seems to work, but it appears to be a global setting. Unfortunately, now all my books will lose their author name in their filenames.
How do all your books lose their author? The pdf files I understand, but I thought you indicated that other formats were displayed via metadata info.

Quote:
Kindle uses the PDF filename for its display title name (rather than the usual metadata)
If .mobi, .prc, .azw etc use metadata to display title and author the change to the save template will not change this.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
elmoglick
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
First, I don't have a Kindle so excuse any ignorance on my part below.

How do all your books lose their author? The pdf files I understand, but I thought you indicated that other formats were displayed via metadata info.

If .mobi, .prc, .azw etc use metadata to display title and author the change to the save template will not change this.
Correct. I should have been more clear. What will change is the actual filenames on the Kindle. Since Calibre is limited to a global filenaming scheme, all filenames must follow the same template, so mobi, prc, azw, etc. filenames will also be forced to be named with title-only, like the PDFs.

If Calibre were to be aware of this Kindle weirdness and allow us to differentiate between PDFs and the rest of the file types, it would be nice. Perhaps this will be a feature in a later version.

I may play around with using folders on the Kindle again and see if that might be a viable workaround. I had removed them back with firmware 2.5 since they appeared to be slowing it down. 2.5.5 doesn't appear to have this problem any more.