Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
geoffd99
geoffd99 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Intro & Ebook formats part 2

Hi all
I am a writer and have a new short novel which I want to publish with graphics (B&W, or 4 colours if possible) and also levels of extra information - ie resources, extra bits etc. This is an extension of a student project. I have made Director games and web sites from previous stories.

Formats - I read some posts here:

I would like something that is Open format and can reference like html. I see EPUB (electronic publication) is not Kindle readable?

I am new to this area but Ok with a bit of tech.
>>>
Would like:
Text display that allows popups and floating panels, that can be faded/tucked away (minimised).

Fast switching between main text and other material, on a touch screen (?)

Graphics, any type, I am ok with BW or 4 - whatever shades. Colour would be nice for the occasional bit of blood red (!).

Can also access URLs if connected, or default screen if not ie not error msg. This is for web docs that are extra info for the story.
<<<
I have not bought a reader yet but will be in next weeks. Favs so far are Sony or Iliad. But welcome comments.

THANKS
Geoff
geoffd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, geoffd99

Hopefully, you'll get some great feedback here.

Enjoy the forums,and good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Yo geoffd99 welcome to MR--always good to have more writers around
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hi, welcome to the forums.

>>>
Would like:
Text display that allows popups and floating panels, that can be faded/tucked away (minimised).

Fast switching between main text and other material, on a touch screen (?)

Graphics, any type, I am ok with BW or 4 - whatever shades. Colour would be nice for the occasional bit of blood red (!).

Can also access URLs if connected, or default screen if not ie not error msg. This is for web docs that are extra info for the story.
<<<

E-ink based readers only support 4-16 shades of grey, no colors.

I dont think there is any ebook format that allows popups and stuff like that but you could conceivably make a pdf with hyperlinks that lead to a page with the extra information and from that page you can hyperlink back to the text or picture you started at.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Geoff and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
geoffd99
geoffd99 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi everyone!

Yes pdfs might work or html with the usual popups etc. Soon (in next 2 months) I will start experimenting with this. Colour will come eventually, I read that there is a Fujitsu model already.

Area is the relationship between the formatting done by the text format, and the display done by the OS of the reader. This is a chunk of research before anything can happen re. text works.

I will be working with an old classic text not my own new story, as that adds a second level of work ie writing and formatting a new piece of text; will choose a short dense piece.

More later. Once I get started I will start a thread.

Geoff
geoffd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Geoff!

If you are comparing readers, check out the Wiki here at MR. They do a great of giving you the details of the different readers so that you can find one to meet your needs. Don't be shy about asking questions, we're here to help!

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote