Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
shady
shady began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle DX
PRS-505 hung on "Starting Up" screen

Urgh. I suspect I've managed to wound this thing irreparably.

1. Connect to Mac using Calibre
2. Calibre says your database is corrupt. Try unplugging and waiting. I do this
3. Calibre says, it's still corrupt. Find media.xml and delete it. I shut down Calibre, do this, then eject the device.
4. Machine hangs on USB connected screen. Power on/off does not work. Holding power button to righ for 1 min t does not work.
5. In the end, try a hard reset. Device resets/restarts. Hangs on "starting up" screen.
6. It's still there, a couple of hours later. On one hand, it may be trying to rebuild the database. But my suspicion is it's just hanging.

Any ideas, please?
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Check the battery's not flat.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
shady

The battery's not flat, but has been draining recently (I should mention I have an 8GB Sony Duo card in it, but I think the drain would be due to PDFs more than anything). I should have a loan of a PSP supply in a couple of hours and will try that also.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
shady

It's revived. The memory was pretty much full .... I think the reader was draining battery to service the database rebuild faster than it was reviving; maybe it also hits issues when the memory is full. I've moved a couple of books to the card as result. I assume it's now healthy. Phew. Need to fish my old PSP power supply out when I get home.