Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
teleph
teleph began at the beginning.

Device: android + moonreader
Question android/moonreader PDF annotation questions

it seems that moonreader saves the PDF annotations not within the PDF itself rather as a separate file as `<filename>.pdf.an` and the reading position as `<filename>.pdf.po` at least when synced to cloud (in my case to Dropbox).

i have 2 questions:

1. since the PDF annotations are in an extra file, how can i see my annotations outside of moonreader, e.g. with a desktop PDF reader?

2. i do sync to cloud with Dropbox, and after deleting the book in my bookshelf, and reopening again from cloud, i don't see my annotations anymore; however the reading position synchronizes just fine, and i can see the bookmarks, but not any annotation in the text/pdf. how can i fix this?

thank you for any hints
teleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #2
teleph
teleph began at the beginning.

Device: android + moonreader
it seems that local PDF file annotations are saved directly to the file, but for the PDF files directly opened from cloud services, e.g. dropbox - their annotations especially drawings are lost forever...

the `<filename>.pdf.an` seems to be a zlib compressed plaintext file with bookmarks; hence as far as i can see it is not in a standard format like `.fdf` all my annotations and notes are lost.
```
zlib-flate -uncompress < filename.pdf.an > OUT_FILE
```

i would expect, at least a warning when annotating cloud cached files (since they are also locally saved in `/Books/.MoonReader/cloud/` folder) that they aren't stored within the PDF file itself. and when closed irrecoverably lost.

Last edited by teleph; 07-12-2022 at 10:56 PM.
teleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
annotation, moonreader, pdf