Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Android TFT eReaders a trend?

Just trying to figure out if this is a developing trend:
1) you know consumers like their color LCD's
2) you can't really fight it out with the Apple iPad

When I say point 2 I am not talking about my logic, I am talking about what CEOs out there appear to be thinking. So seems like CEO's are coming up with point
3) so I will just create a small Android Color eReader and sell that

We have Barnes and Noble
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

and now we have
http://www.cruzreader.com/tablet.php

and both products are described primarily as being color eReaders, and not a mobile PC like the
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Well it is an interesting development.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
It's a nice addition to eInk. I like color, I have no problems reading on an LCD screen, so I really appreciate any Android tablet on the market.

And right now I get the most out of my Pocketbook IQ.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
The thing to remember though is the iPad is a $500 minimum device. There is definitely room in the ereader market for a $250 and under color reader and I think B&N has a hit on their hands with the nookcolor. People wanting an iPad will buy an iPad, but I think there is a market for affordable color ereaders and I think B&N has a good chance to tap into it.

I think you will see just how right they were when Amazon launches their color LCD reader next year to try and stop B&N from stealing ebook market share away.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
The thing to remember though is the iPad is a $500 minimum device. There is definitely room in the ereader market for a $250 and under color reader and I think B&N has a hit on their hands with the nookcolor. People wanting an iPad will buy an iPad, but I think there is a market for affordable color ereaders and I think B&N has a good chance to tap into it.

I think you will see just how right they were when Amazon launches their color LCD reader next year to try and stop B&N from stealing ebook market share away.
Well that is what I am getting it, though I did not put it in the original post. With color eInk now almost out in China (though the color is abysmal) and now two color LCD eReaders out before Christmas, which are obviously not being presented as PC's, the pressure is on in regards to the eBook Reading Device market.

I was searching my brain cells to fetch old memories and I vaguely recall the transition from Black-and-White laptops in the stores over to all Color laptops. As I remember you could not find a non-color screen on a laptop after nine months of transition; I think, the memory may be faulty. Sure a B&W eReader device will retain some advantages for a while, but my bet would be that those advantages will not be great enough for the B&W eReader device to hold on for another 24 months. In 24 months maybe one or two will still be around in Retail, the remainder will be toast.

So I am with you, Amazon is going to have to come out with something that displays some form of color, and will probably have to sacrifice some battery life to offer good color.

The iPad is a nice device, I have seen my Father's, but I tend to think of it as a mobile computer, so I think Amazon can ignore the iPad threat. What I can't see is there not being a color Kindle, of some kind, for sale come Christmas of 2011. Such a situation is too much a stretch of my imagination. And in four years I can't see a B&W Kindle still being offered at Amazon, though of course I could be wrong on this second prediction.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
It's true e-ink devices are being forced into a lower price range, they are more specialized, focused devices. But e-ink still has the weight, battery life and sunlight visibility advantage (I haven't been convinced by the eyestrain arguments, glare is a problem though for capacitative touchscreen LCDs) so there'll be a place for them. Also, if someone picks up foldable e-ink again like the Readius that could be a major tip in the hat for e-ink.

Pixelqi, Mirasol or some other evolved LCD might take care of the sunlight visibility problem for LCDs, as far as I know they don't have e-ink battery life.

But the problem is that reading habits are changing, you can deliver good content on websites and blogs on the internet as well, which with good design will be as visually compelling a magazine (see a good fashion website or something like Pulse or Flipboard). Readers have a good form factor, but if they want to go beyond books and into news and magazines, they need to accommodate a 'holistic' reading experience and embrace both print and internet derived formats, and that's what I think these Android e-readers are getting at. LCD + touch is a good way of getting there, though it's not impossible with E-ink.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-22-2010 at 12:20 AM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
So I am with you, Amazon is going to have to come out with something that displays some form of color, and will probably have to sacrifice some battery life to offer good color.
This was mentioned on a different thread: Amazon doesn't need to make a color device; there is the option of just installing the app on an existing color device. And I wouldn't want to sacrifice battery life.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Personally, I need a 10" screen to make me consider really anything with color. For reading comic books (yes, there are legal ecomic books), go too small and you can't see the text. 7" may be usable in the right circumstances (full screen, etc).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think it will always be a trend, for companies like Barnes and Noble I'm guessing they just couldn't wait for color eink. As great as a tech eink is, it's evolving at a snails pace.

eink has been out for quite a few years now and the best thing that has every one hootin and hollerin about is the "Pearl Screen"? So basically everyone is popping champagne corks because the screen now has a little bit better contrast ratio?

eink really need to pick up the pace.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
eink has been out for quite a few years now and the best thing that has every one hootin and hollerin about is the "Pearl Screen"? So basically everyone is popping champagne corks because the screen now has a little bit better contrast ratio?

eink really need to pick up the pace.
I wouldn't knock the pace that much. I suspect what people are really popping champagne corks about is that eInk readers have dropped in price to about a third what they were a few years ago.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I wouldn't knock the pace that much. I suspect what people are really popping champagne corks about is that eInk readers have dropped in price to about a third what they were a few years ago.

Graham
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I fully expect the Nook Color to be rooted and supporting a regular Android OS very soon (if it hasn't been already) and used by the Android community as a very cheap 7" wifi Android tablet.

I don't know that this will help B&N sell books, though -- once it's rooted, a user can install the Kindle app very easily.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
For a cheap 7 inch Android tablet, there is the Archos 70 Internet Tablet which is out in the shops. It has also just posted the update to Android 2.2. See here
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=gb&lang=en
In France it is selling for 250 euros for the 8 GB version.
The problem with Archos is their timidness in moving sufficient stock. When they have a good thing, instead of selling millions like Apple, it is always out of stock because they haven't made enough of them.

Last edited by Polyglot27; 12-08-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
By the way, Engadget has just released news of a possible new Archos colour 7 inch TFT Android based ebook reader. See here.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/a...he-google-ebo/
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote