Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #46
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Quote:
Maybe it’s time to admit that we may never find a way to reconcile consumers who want free entertainment with creators who want to get paid.
It's not like that's a *new* problem.
That's not even really the problem.

IMO, this would be a more accurate statement:

Maybe it's time to admit that we may never find a way to reconcile consumers, who don't want to be overcharged, and creators, who don't want to be underpaid, with the distribution industry, who wants to milk money out of both sides.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #47
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Maybe it's time to admit that we may never find a way to reconcile consumers, who don't want to be overcharged, and creators, who don't want to be underpaid, with the distribution industry, who wants to milk money out of both sides.
Wow!! Now THIS is really stating the facts as they are! It opens the door to a lot of 'lawyer jokes' though...

Stitchawl
Old 05-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #48
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Absolutely spot-on.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #49
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It is available in MOBI format.

Stitchawl
Where did you find it? I can't find it.

Amazon only brings up paperback, hardback and multimedia CD. Only now do I realize that a 1988 version is up for $9.99 which is better than the nearly $15...but again, the author gets nothing out of that.

Mobipocket and Fictionwise do not offer it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #50
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
And as for the claim piracy effects sales of popular movies, I invite those who claim this to look at the box office for The Dark Knight. It made a billion, even though it got pirated to high heaven, because it was a brilliant movie.
These claims never fail to amuse me and I have no idea WHY such fraudulent accounting is not investigated with prejudice. How could such losses be sustainable and it is evident through consumer surveys that downloaders "acquiring" a movie or music album would never had seen or purchased it in the first place. Net loss thus is negated.

You mention The Dark Knight and I will add Avatar. Easily one of the most pirated movies of late (I do not know why really, it needed to be seen in 3D) yet made over a billion dollars at the box office. So I truly wonder what sort of anti-piracy spin that the MPAA will regurgitate to the populace?

I am starting to believe the chasm between the coke sniffing movie industry and the punters will never, ever truly be bridged, especially with the current dross served up to those that hope for good quality entertainment.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #51
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
And yet another study showing Kenny's wrong. What a shocker!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #52
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Always gotta make the personal attacks eh?

It's getting quite boring at this point..... ho hum.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #53
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

No, it was a statement of fact. Your position is, plain and simply, wrong.

Now, your comment was a personal attack. And since you're indulging, I'll return one: Kissed your local RIAA rep recently? I mean, after they've handed over your gelt.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 05-08-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #54
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There ya go again. When will you ever learn. You have no clue what "my position" even is. I posted the O.P. here and have only posted a couple of additional comments - even those unrelated to the "position" stated in the referenced article.

Please continue to enjoy the thread and please no personal attacks. I'm really tired of them and of you making them.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #55
DawnFalcon
Banned

What, to call someone who's kissing up what they are? Oh look, I already am. It's an easy trick, you just need to be ready to call people on their prejudices.

If you don't want to be insulted, don't insult me then whine when I return the compliment.

Fact remains, you're still wrong and I certainly don't "enjoy" reading poorly written propaganda of the type you started this thread with!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #56
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Um, could you please take this to PM or pistols at 20 paces or something?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
What, to call someone who's kissing up what they are? Oh look, I already am. It's an easy trick, you just need to be ready to call people on their prejudices.

If you don't want to be insulted, don't insult me then whine when I return the compliment.

Fact remains, you're still wrong and I certainly don't "enjoy" reading poorly written propaganda of the type you started this thread with!
So now you admit that is was a personal attack. If you don't want to read things you don't like then maybe you should become a hermit. You are very rude and it's not just me that feels that way. I've seen it over and over in your posts. I really don't know why you hang out here other than you must get some kind of thrill by insulting people. But the bottom line is I don't like it whether it is me or someone else and are attacking and I will continue to report it when I see it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #58
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So now you admit that is was a personal attack.
My second post, in response to your attack? I specified that at the time. You're really not doing a very good job of reading my posts. Simply disagreeing with someone is only an attack in the mind of someone who cannot handle disagreement.

Quote:
If you don't want to read things you don't like then maybe you should become a hermit.
Or I could call them out.

Quote:
You are very rude and it's not just me that feels that way.
Of course not, I know my second post was rude. This is what happens when I intentionally insult someone. Simply saying they're wrong is not, of course, rude - especially when it's completely accurate. Only an insecure, twitchy person could take that as such.

Quote:
I've seen it over and over in your posts. I really don't know why you hang out here other than you must get some kind of thrill by insulting people.
Well, given you started the insults in this thread, I think you're talking to yourself there.

Quote:
But the bottom line is I don't like it whether it is me or someone else and are attacking and I will continue to report it when I see it.
As you will. You still posted incorrect RIAA propaganda in this thread. It's a fact you can't now pretend to escape.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #59
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please take this disagreement out of the thread and take it to PM if there is any further disagreement of this nature.

Thank you for following these instructions.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-09-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: any
Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #60
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
"You better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone. Oh, the times, they are a changin'."
Closed Thread