Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
killerX
killerX began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Can't convert MOBI to EPUB anymore

For some reason, every time I try to convert any mobi to an epub now, I get an error message like this:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 2.5.0 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (Alex Adams)

Convert book 1 of 1 (Alex Adams)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 2.5.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'epub_inline_toc': False,
'epub_toc_at_end': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x041BD830>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KoboReaderOutput object at 0x041BDBF0>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\killer\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre _d_nmi2\\pmxmmi.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on C:\Users\killer\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_d_nmi2\ eez1kw.mobi
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Unknown book type: '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 195, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1041, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 33, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi6.py", line 82, in __init__
calibre.ebooks.mobi.MobiError: Unknown book type: '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'

I'm not doing anything differently than I ever did, except that I just downloaded the latest update. Anyone else having this problem now?

Last edited by theducks; 10-12-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Wrapped long paste in Spoiler
killerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Can you open the book in a MOBI viewer?

calibre seems to think the book is unreadable.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
cdixon5612
cdixon5612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I too seem to have this problem. The Calibre viewer won't open it, but the Kindle for PC has no problem.
cdixon5612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know exactly what caused that problem. That problem is caused by the version of the DeDRM plugin you are using that inserts nulls in place of the Amazon watermark. This only seems to be a problem on OS X. If you are using OS X, update to Calibre 2.6. This has been fixed.

There is a version of the DeDRM tools that replaces the Amazon watermark with spaces instead of nulls. The nulls cause no end of problems. So it was changed to be spaces which do not cause any trouble at all. KindleUnpack had to be fixed to deal with these nulls.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
cdixon5612

It may well be DeDRM, but I have what I believe to be the current version (6.0.9), nor is the problem isolate to OS X as I am on Windows 7.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdixon5612 View Post
It may well be DeDRM, but I have what I believe to be the current version (6.0.9), nor is the problem isolate to OS X as I am on Windows 7.
Well, it \x00 is a null and the only way you get that is using the version of DeDRM that uses nulls instead of Amazon's watermark.

Are you in fact using the DeDRM that replaces Amazon's watermark?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have a DRM free MOBI file that opens in Kindle for PC but not the calibre viewer, open a bug report and atach the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

But the error report shows it is the book type field not the watermark that is all nulls. And why on earth would the DeDRM code write over a metadata entry? It should not be changing anything in the metadata.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know exactly what caused that problem. That problem is caused by the version of the DeDRM plugin you are using that inserts nulls in place of the Amazon watermark. This only seems to be a problem on OS X. If you are using OS X, update to Calibre 2.6. This has been fixed.

There is a version of the DeDRM tools that replaces the Amazon watermark with spaces instead of nulls. The nulls cause no end of problems. So it was changed to be spaces which do not cause any trouble at all. KindleUnpack had to be fixed to deal with these nulls.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm guessing somebody's running a metadata "cleaning" script AFTER DRM removal (or as part of a modified DRM removal tool) in an attempt to remove any (potentially) personally identifying metadata... or other metadata tweaks to achieve extra functionality of some type. I've seen similarly butchered metadata before. I don't really expect calibre or KindleUnpack to have to bend over backwards to account for the output of every cut-rate 3rd-party metadata diddling script in existence.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-20-2014 at 12:05 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
cdixon5612

In my case all that was run was the usual DRM removal plugin. A hex editor shows the same large block of hex zeros in the input AZW and the output mobi. I suspect this just gets copied over during DRM removal. Mobi File Reader can open the mobi file and export to HTML; so, my problem is solved. Calibre conversion has worked on everything since; so, I suspect it is just a weirdness of that particular file.