Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Nalapombu
Nalapombu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIRE
IRRITATING Problem with FIRE and MOBI files..

Hey,

I got Calibre on the recommendation of a lot of Kindle users. I have the new FIRE.

I had not put any books on it yet and got a free book auto sent to me by Amazon, it came through with no problems.

On a tip I went and found some free books at Archive.org, I downloaded the MOBI files as I was told these were the standard Kindle files that it recognized.

About 3 hours ago I loaded my 2 free MOBI books into Calibre and got set to transfer them via USB. I went through and corrected the covers and some of the metadata and was all set. I connected it, it recognized the device was plugged in and I started transferring. I thought I was home free as it was easy as can be.

I disconnect my Fire and look in my BOOKS section where my free Amazon book is, but no more books. Then I look in my DOCS section and they are there, no covers and not hardly readable. Jumbled characters, unable to zoom in on micro text, and so on. Well I thought I had done something wrong. I deleted the books from the DOCUMENTS section and tried again only to get the same results. I tried this procedure maybe 10 times all with the same result. No cover, no readable book and landing in the DOCUMENTS section.

Well I brought up the USERS GUIDE and followed it to the letter and still got the same results.

After maybe 15 times trying to get my MOBI books to land into the BOOKS section, I gave up. There is no way this is supposed to work like this. One thing is certain, if this can't be fixed, one or both of these technologies is getting removed from my universe and I'll save for an IPAD2.

Any help before I delete Calibre?

Thanks
Nalapombu
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Special_K
Special_K began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi there,

I'm having the same problem as you. I can add the books but they appear in the docs section.

How come they aren't appearing under books??

Cheers
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yes.

Spend some time reading all the threads here at MR about the (wonderful?) changes Amazon made on the Kindle 4T / Fire and where THEY think documents go
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One tip: if you use Calibre to change (or add) a cover to a Mobi book, you must do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion within Calibre to make the new cover "stick" to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've answered your question about why there's no cover, above. To answer your other questions:

1. Amazon, for whatever reason, consider that any file you load yourself is a "document", not a "book". That's just the way it is.

2. The jumbled characters are because the Mobi and ePub versions of books on archive.org are created by a raw OCR process from the page scans. Sometimes the result of this OCR is usable; other times it's just a mess. Raw OCR will almost always require manual editing to make it readable.

Hope that's of some help to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
One of the problems with sideloading .mobi files is the PDOC tag. There is a discussion on the problem and fixes here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162642

but the short answer is to open Calibre. Click on Preferences -> Conversion Output Options -> MOBI Output -> Under "Kindle Options" remove the PDOC tag and Apply.

Now reconvert your books mobi-mobi and they should appear in the correct place under Books.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
As Jerry points out, it's all about that .pdoc tag. Remove it per those instructions, and all your books will show up in books rather than documents. However, I do notice than I e-mail a book from Calibre, it still shows in documents rather than books. But I don't e-mail many books.
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondawg View Post
However, I do notice than I e-mail a book from Calibre, it still shows in documents rather than books.
This is not a calibre issue it is an Amazon issue. I could be wrong, but I believe that no matter where you email the book from Amazon inserts the pdoc tag during transfer to your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondawg View Post
But I don't e-mail many books.
That is the only way to avoid this issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Anthony Wall
Anthony Wall began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire and kindle3
I have a simular problem but my fire will not copy a mobi file book or a book of any file type a window appears sayiny that the file type is not supported by this device
Help
Anthony Wall is offline   Reply With Quote