Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
supercarl
supercarl began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Epub conversion question

This might be a really obvious one, but here goes...

I have converted all my books in various formats to epub, for consistency on my reader (PRS505)

Problem is that when a book has titles at the top of each page, it gets jumbled in with the text, for example

This is the title

paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text

becomes

paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text This is the title paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text paragraph text

with some strange spacing / line breaks, which makes it very tough to read. Is there any settings I can change to help prevent this?
supercarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercarl View Post
I have converted all my books in various formats to epub, for consistency on my reader (PRS505)

Problem is that when a book has titles at the top of each page, it gets jumbled in with the text, for example
Since we know that this is not true of every type of conversion you have be a lot more specific. Stick with one example. What was the original format of the book, what input and output options did you use?

Without any specifics you have an example of GIGO. When your source file lacks proper formatting so will your output.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Some books are like that
These are page headers
Try remove headers under structure detection.

Another option is to convert to rtf and do a search and replace.

Or if input is pdf use a pdf editing program to out put an rtf or html file as often this will remove them.

There are quite a few active threads on converting pdf or removing headers
No surefire solution for all books

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote