Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Row
Row began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kiwi's Downloading with Whitcoulls

I download my books using the Whitcoulls Kobo webapp. I'm finding it just ok - the selection isn't great - but I hear that new ebooks are being loaded all the time...
It's hard to find a book - the Search isn't that great. I'd prefer to use the http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz site then search using E-books.
I guess the good thing is it's really easy to buy a book - but I'd love a place to save a Wish List.
What are your thoughts?
Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Using the Canadian Kobo site, I use "my library" as my wish list. I can see the prices of the books I haven't yet purchased, and when they drop to a value that I can live with, I can click to buy them.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
I think Whitcoulls site is dreadful as well. I've raised the issue with them (through their dreadful forums) and after 3 weeks got the answer that they may look at enhancements in the future.

I'm disappointed at the whole experience with Whitcoulls online. Their people in the shop were great but many people are complaining that their online presence is not up to snuff.

I've found it much easier to search and browse using the iPhone app, but not everyone has access to that.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
The Whitcoulls site is awful, especially when accessed directly from the Whitcoulls application. I started using the kobobooks ebooks site (http://www.kobobooks.com/) to browse or search for books of interest, and then using the Whitcoulls application to find the same book by searching.

One serious problem with the application is that you can only buy a single book at a time. You have to enter all your details for every book. Unless you trust them to store your credit card information permanently. Which I don't.

During a call to the Whitcoulls helpdesk after not being able to access the store at all from the application, I learned that you can actually buy the ebooks using a normal browser from their web site (http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/ebooks/ebooks/45/), by logging in with your normal login information. The ebooks you buy there will then appear when you start the application and sync with the reader. This also lets you buy more than one ebook at a time.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Row
Row began at the beginning.

Well thanks everyone - it sounds like you’re all having similar problems. I've resorted to the ebooks page on the Whitcoulls site but still no Wish List - I struggle to remember which books I'd like to read. (Especially if someone else recommends an Author. )
It would be great if someone from Whitcoulls reads our posts....
I hear that Borders are going to have a site also - fingers crossed it's going to be better than Whitcoulls. Bring on competition!!
Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row View Post
I hear that Borders are going to have a site also - fingers crossed it's going to be better than Whitcoulls. Bring on competition!!
Same company - Redgroup Retail own Borders, Whitcoulls and A&R is Aus.

I tend to use the Kobo site for purchases - the same book is sometimes less $ from there than the Whitcoulls site.

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Both the website and the desktop application are disappointing. I agree with Graeme that the generic Kobo site is much better.

Sadly, it all seems to be languishing here. After lauching with a bang it's all gone flat. There's been no development on the website or the desktop app and their online support is disappointing. With Amazon coming in to the NZ market (and my Kindle 3 is on pre-order) Whitcoulls urgently need to make their customer experience something special.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row View Post
I've resorted to the ebooks page on the Whitcoulls site but still no Wish List - I struggle to remember which books I'd like to read.
I find the books on the Whitcoulls (or another) web site, and then add the page to a special bookmark folder. That creates a personal wish list which is simple to maintain.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I bought one book via the whitcoulls site and have never bought one since. I buy all my books from kobobooks or The Book Depository. I do price checks every time and Whitcoulls is almost always more expensive than kobobooks. I agree with everyone's comments about Whitcoulls - and they seem to have disappeared from the marketing/support scene completely.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
artig
Zealot

It's tough to run a business that has to charge GST on sales, when you can buy the same product directly from overseas without being charged GST.

Tags
kobo, new zealand, whitcoulls