Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sub Forums for Deals, Freebies and Resources

Hi,

Just wondering if others would find it useful if the "Deals, Freebies and Resources" forum contained sub-forums based on genre? Maybe it would be somewhat of a moderator's nightmare... but was wondering none-the-less.

Cheers,
mk.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I suggested a while back that sub-forums for devices, stores, and books would be good. That way the people happy with their ebook readers wouldn't have to wade through the Sony sales, the people looking for a deal on a device wouldn't have to hunt through books they can't use yet, and I'd set up camp in the bookstore section to wait for O'Reilly sales.

I'm a little worried, though. They adopted my suggestion of a book promotion forum, and since it opened, I've bought five or six books, of which I've finished two. My TBR list is about to pop a trouser button. I'm not sure I want something else that makes it easier for me to find things to spend money on!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm a little worried, though. They adopted my suggestion of a book promotion forum, and since it opened, I've bought five or six books, of which I've finished two. My TBR list is about to pop a trouser button. I'm not sure I want something else that makes it easier for me to find things to spend money on!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beware what you wish for ..... !
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
What about pre-fixes (book, device, store) as in the Kindle or Apple forums? You could then filter by pre-fix to see only book deals, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Prefixes like the ones in the Sony forum with the various Reader models? Yeah, that would work, if we could get people to use them. It's getting people to use them which would be the problem.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Whether its pre-fixes or sub-forums, I'd still prefer the distinction to be made based on genre rather than device/stores/books... only because I can always convert the different format types offered by different stores, etc. It's wading through the free romance and christian novels that's annoying for me personally. Likewise I'm sure those guys don't want to know about the latest sci-fi stuff.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I'd like genre tags, especially in the book promotion forum -- I read SF, fantasy, mysteries, and the occasional western, and I'd gnaw my own arm off to escape from a romance novel. But that's its own hairball. What do you do with a Christian western? Or a fantasy romance?

Splitting out stores/books/devices would be a good start, though. That way I can go through and check stores (want) and books (maybe want) while skipping devices (already got), and other people, of course, would have different options.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
GeoffC

genre tags may work better than genre pre-fixes .... if only because there is more visible space in the tag area than the prefix drop-down ....
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given how fast the deals/freebies posts age, is it worth it to apply a system of pre-fixes, etc? There's no real need to pull up years of free "hard sci-fi" offers, etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

True, pooh. It's more a matter of trying to find what you're looking for, because there's so much traffic there.

For instance, I'm perfectly happy with my Sony PRS-505, so I'm not at all interested in a great deal on some other device. So, any posts about such are just clutter.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to buy random books just because they look cool, sometimes I'm not. So, posts about deals on books could be what I'm looking for, or obscure what I'm looking for.

I'm always interested in store-wide sales, though, especially when O'Reilly is involved. They're not nearly as common as book deals, or even device deals, and they easily get lost in the clutter.

That's why I'm in favor of some system -- subforums preferred, tags at least workable -- that would let me find what I'm looking for, without having to keep reading a page full of what I'm not looking for on the off-chance it's showed up.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
we've had the free and inexpensive thread at Kindle for a LONG time (even though it has been reborn afew times). we've had to fight to keep it there for the same reasons mentioned here. I couldn't care less what is free on Sony, Nook, Kobo, etc. I only care about Kindle content. surprised every section doesn't have it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I only care about Kindle content. surprised every section doesn't have it
The reason for that is very simple: most readers don't have a "dedicated" format as the Kindle does. An ePub book offer is applicable to pretty much every reader on the market - except the Kindle. Are you really suggesting that we repeat them all individually for every reader that supports ePub?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I've been in touch with Koland - who now authors the Kindle thread - and posts extensively in the main Deals section - about this issue - if you look at the Deals forum now you'll see much more information being put in the thread titles - this may settle the issue if others follow her lead.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason for that is very simple: most readers don't have a "dedicated" format as the Kindle does. An ePub book offer is applicable to pretty much every reader on the market - except the Kindle. Are you really suggesting that we repeat them all individually for every reader that supports ePub?
I would think it would depend on the sub-forum and what they care about.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote