Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Touch Edition now or Daily Edition later?

Hello there,

If I didn't know about the Daily Edition, I am pretty sure I would buy a Touch Edition (if I like the screen after seeing it in person, that is). But now I am wondering if the Daily Edition is worth the wait.

Do you think the screen of the DE will be of better quality than that of the TE? DE has 16 levels of grayscale, and TE only 8. However, the problems with the PRS-600 screen are glare and contrast, and, as far as I know, the levels of gray don't affect that. Still, it could be an indication of a more advanced screen.

How important is wireless to you? Is there a slight chance that we will be able to check our emails on a Daily Edition?

Well, it seems that I am little bit confused now. I wonder if I am the only one.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
This is just me talking; personally I wouldn't have any need/use for wireless. I've gotten accustomed to the touch screen, so I'd certainly like to see that in the future models. As far as glare is concerned, that isn't a big deal to me, I guess I simply adjust the position of my reader so the glare isn't an issue, i.e. reading in bed.
As I bought my 700 the first of June, I doubt I'll be getting one of the new "toys" in the near future.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Is there a slight chance that we will be able to check our emails on a Daily Edition?
I like this question! Any speculations?
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I got the impression the wireless was only good for connecting to the Sony ebook store.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I got the impression the wireless was only good for connecting to the Sony ebook store.
Yes, that is what I understand too. That is why I didn't wait for it. The 600 is cheaper and serves my purposes fine. The wireless isn't that impressive to me if it only hooks me up to the ebook store.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
With the accelerometer and the bigger screen the daily edition looks nicer to read full sized PDF. I was favorably impressed by the PDF reading on the 600 in portrait (as seen on the MobileTechReview video) and I think the extra inche of the daily will make it even better.

As I want a book cover with the 600 (30$), that mean the Daily Edition would only cost an extra 70$, as it comes with a book cover. The accelerometer and the wider screen are worth it I think, even though I have no use for the wireless feature.

If it was only me, I would wait for real life reviews of both devices before deciding. I am perfectly happy with my 505. But my wife needs a reader, and as she only read fiction (no need for a touch screen) I will give her my 505. So I'm not sure if I will wait for the Daily.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
nanotube
nanotube began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Hello there,

If I didn't know about the Daily Edition, I am pretty sure I would buy a Touch Edition (if I like the screen after seeing it in person, that is). But now I am wondering if the Daily Edition is worth the wait.

Do you think the screen of the DE will be of better quality than that of the TE? DE has 16 levels of grayscale, and TE only 8. However, the problems with the PRS-600 screen are glare and contrast, and, as far as I know, the levels of gray don't affect that. Still, it could be an indication of a more advanced screen.

How important is wireless to you? Is there a slight chance that we will be able to check our emails on a Daily Edition?

Well, it seems that I am little bit confused now. I wonder if I am the only one.

I have the same "problem"!! I just went to the mall and saw the 600 in person. It was absolutely gooooooooorgeous! Personally I didnt see any glare problem, of course, not as sharp as the 300 when you put them two next to each other. But the 600 screen was definitely better than OK, I think.

I think I'll wait for the Daily Edition before I decide which one to buy. Perhaps they will add more wireless features in addition to the Sony store?!?
nanotube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
dtrain
dtrain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I had never even heard about the daily edition until very recently. Is it going to be like the kindle though where the online access is restricted to only those people in the US? I'm so torn now that I've heard about this new edition, do I want it or the 600!
dtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
afsandiego
Enthusiast
afsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600 and iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrain View Post
I had never even heard about the daily edition until very recently. Is it going to be like the kindle though where the online access is restricted to only those people in the US? I'm so torn now that I've heard about this new edition, do I want it or the 600!
I believe so... on their announcement they only mention the partnership with AT&T...

I also had this question to myself and ended up getting the PRS600 now. I think I made the right decision for I dont really think that the wireless feature is enough for me to shell out 100, also sony didnt include a browser for it and the sony store only allows you to get rss from their limited selections..

The really cool thing about the new software is the ability to get rented ebooks to your device easily, and I dont know if that feature is available on the DE.
afsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The wireless of the DE doesn't appeal to me at all. I had a Kindle for a while, and never used the wireless at all. I shop from the computer, and I had so many free-not-from-Amazon books that the wireless was just an unnecessary power drain.

What interests me about the DE is the larger screen, which would be handy when reading non-fiction textbooks.

But I'm not willing to wait; I have a 600 on its way to me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I have been looking for a release date and I haven't found it. It's going to be released before Christmas and that's all we know, right?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
In th enormal scheme of things, wireless would have no value for me. However, I am hoping to convert my subscriptions to the New York Times and The Economist to wireless delivery when an appropriate reading device becomes available, so I'm holding off, waiting to see who will be partnering with Sony's Daily Edition and the with the Plastic Logic. I'm also interested in being able to buy books at Barnes & Noble, although that is a lower-level interest than being able to turn on my reader in the morning and having the Times delivered.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I think I am going to pick up a 600 to hold me over for now. I can always sell it later on down the road.
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Quote:
Hello there,

I'm one of those who can't get much cell signal in my area, so the connectivity isn't an issue. I have tried out the PDF on my 600 - the text part works well, sometimes a bit "clunky" when I enlarge the text depending on how its formatted. And the sideways and zoom on the 600 make it easy to "peek" at the documents that don't do as well.

I got the 600 for $299 minus a $100 credit card rebate - so the idea of spending $400 for something just a bit bigger wasn't a big draw for me.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
How good are your eyes? If you can deal with small fonts, then go for the 600. If you need a larger font for comfortable reading, wait for the Daily edition.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote