Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
JFS
JFS began at the beginning.

Device: nook
FETCH TO PARTICULAR LIBRARY

I use MS Task Scheduler to run a vbs script that turns on Calibre each morning; Calibre then fetches various news sources and shuts down. This works as expected. I recently added Google Drive as a library and tweaked the vbs script to open Calibre in the new library (that also works fine).

However, the existing recipes, which are scheduled to run automatically while Calibre is open each morning, do not appear to run, even though they previously did before I added the Google Drive library. The fetches do work if I open the new library manually and download.

Are recipes that run automatically keyed to the library one was in when one set the recipe up? Do I therefore have to recreate each recipe to run automatically while the new library is open? If not, any ideas about why the automatic fetches do not work from the new library?
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
You may want to have a look at this:
WARNING - Google Drive Incompatible with Calibre!
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not commenting on the recipies but rather on the choice of Google Drive. There has been a lot of previous discussion in these forums over issues with the calibre directory naming conventions conflicting with Google Drive leading to library corruption.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
JFS

Fetch and Google Drive

I had not been aware of the problem with Google Drive. But I think that that problem has been resolved or at least is not the problem here. When I manually fetch using the recipes that do not run automatically, the material is downloaded into the Google Drive and the library functions normally.

So far as I can tell, recipes created in my main library, set to run each day at a specific time, do not run automatically in the new (Google Drive) library. Does each recipe have to be re-created while that library is open?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you start calibre use the --with-library command line option. recipes download into whatever library was last open when you quit calibre., because that is the library calibre starts up with.

And you will lose data if you put your calibre library in google drive. You have been warned.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
JFS

I have been using the --with-library command and have confirmed that it works correctly, i.e., opens the specified Google Drive library. I take your point about losing data in Google Drive, although I use it just to hold daily news feeds until I can sync device to Google Drive; so far, losing data on Google Drive has not been a problem.

I can manually fetch my daily newsfeeds to Google Drive, then read those feeds on my device by syncing it with Google Drive. But for some reason when I use my Task Scheduler and my vbs script to open calibre in Google Drive library automatically at 6:00, the fetches that are scheduled in Calibre to run at 6:02 do not seem to do so. (The vbs/Task Scheduler/scheduled fetches work fine when I omit the --with-library command and the fetches are stored in default library).
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is likely some error happening leave calibre open in your script and see what that error might be when you wake up.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
JFS

OK, changed script to keep calibre open and will check in morning. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
JFS

UPDATE: I ran the script without the line closing Calibre and it worked correctly (downloaded to Google Drive). I then added back the line to close Calibre automatically and that also worked.

Not sure if the first failure was a fluke or me missing something, but it now seems to be working correctly - - the script starts cailbre in the Google Drive directory, fetches news at proper time, then closes calibre.