Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
jackiem
jackiem began at the beginning.

Device: none
International Access to U.S. Public Libraries

I have been reading about e-readers and am very confused about the various models, features and capabilities.

Basically, I need an e-reader that I can use on an extended trip to South America to download e-books from the public library system in my U.S. home area. Likely I will also want to pay to download a few best sellers. I will have WiFi access during most of my travels. Since I will also have a laptop computer, I really only need an e-reader for convenience and portability when I want to read books--which is OFTEN!!

I would very much appreciate any information and recommendations from readers on this forum. Thank you.
jackiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If you'll be bringing a laptop you can download the book to the computer and then transfer to the reader with a USB cable, making almost any device work for you.
The new Sony is supposed to work with US libraries, but I don't know if there is a problem using them internationally. Someone who owns one will hopefully come along and let us know soon (I am cusious as well!).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For travel, it's hard to beat the 3G Kindle models. They work with WiFi or 3G, making it possible to get connected just about anywhere. Kindles now do Library downloads without issue for US libraries (sadly doesn't work with Canadian libraries yet, but we have workarounds.) I don't know of any geo-restriction on the IP address of the download so long as you're a US Library member.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote