Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Pick A Kindle, Any Kindle (Flowchart)

http://theunderstatement.com/post/10...dle-any-kindle

kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Looks confusing
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The non-Touch Kindle is really stripped down to the basics of reading, which, based on comments I've read on Mobileread in the past along the lines of "I just want to read!!!" should be a hit.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Juggularity
Juggularity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App (iPad, iPod)
Am I missing something or is this flowchart missing the Kindle Touch 3G?
Juggularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggularity View Post
Am I missing something or is this flowchart missing the Kindle Touch 3G?
you are missing something
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Overall I like the layout. Good thought, and great effort.

Did kjk do this?

Last edited by frahse; 09-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't think this helps people choose at all, it's very confusing. I'm an information architect in my real life.

I just clicked through to the link and I see that the point he is trying to make is how confusing the Kindle lineup is, compared to the iPad. So yes, he certainly succeeded in doing that.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I don't think this helps people choose at all, it's very confusing. I'm an information architect in my real life.

I just clicked through to the link and I see that the point he is trying to make is how confusing the Kindle lineup is, compared to the iPad. So yes, he certainly succeeded in doing that.

eP
Did kjk do this or someone else?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think the situation is rather confusing with all the different models and price-points and options. Maybe not so much for those of us who have followed the evolution of the Kindle since it's inception... but I'd certainly hate to be a complete neophyte without the services of a child or grandchild to help me determine exactly what the hell I was buying (or what I even needed).

3G KSO button, touch or keyboard OR 3G non-KSO button, touch or keyboard OR Wifi only KSO button, touch or keyboard OR Wifi only non-KSO button, touch or keyboard? Or how 'bout a DXG or Fire? What'll it be? Hmmm?

I'm just glad I've followed along as long as I have.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even more confusing when you can't pick them up and look at them. So I wonder what the stores like Target and Best Buy are going to carry. Well the Offers versions are out, I'm sure. I guess they will stop carrying the keyboard versions and have one button, one touch, and the fire. The touch in both wifi and 3g? 3 or 4 models, that's not too bad? 3 is better than 4.

eP
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yes, the point was to illustrate that the Kindle lineup is confusing.

On one hand I agree, especially in that the Kindle went from one model to 11 variants in a short period of time.

On the other hand, I'd think the decision trees involved in selecting a Mac laptop would be just as complicated. ("Air or Pro? How much RAM? What size hard drive? Do I want Applecare?")

I don't think it will take long for people to figure it out. In addition, if the touch models take off, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon slowly prunes the keyboard models in ~6 months.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I think on amazon though it explains it pretty well though. More of a chart with features than this info graphic.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Even more confusing when you can't pick them up and look at them. So I wonder what the stores like Target and Best Buy are going to carry. Well the Offers versions are out, I'm sure.
You don't think Best Buy will carry the offers versions? That's where I bought my K3/3G with special offers.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
You don't think Best Buy will carry the offers versions? That's where I bought my K3/3G with special offers.
Oh, mea culpa, I did not know that you could buy the current KSO at Best Buy. I find that to be a weird decision on Best Buy's part, because they have deals on things that Best Buy would want to sell you, like TVs.

eP
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Overall I like the layout. Good thought, and great effort.

Did kjk do this?
No- the understatement.com guy put it together.