Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
meremark
meremark began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Buying from Amazon and converting?

Is there any way you can buy ebooks from Amazon and then convert the format to something the Sony Reader will recognise?

Can Calibre do it?
meremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Amazon ebooks are primarily for the Kindle. You will need to download them to your pc, remove the copy protection (DRM) and convert to another format (like epub) with Calibre.

Please see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115272

Use and removal of DRM is a controversial item of discussion.

Last edited by gardenstate; 02-18-2011 at 06:30 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Indeed this can be done, but Amazon's DRM is designed to prevent exactly this kind of conversion, so you have to use DRM stripping software that can not be directly supported here on this forum for legal reasons.

Unless the book is something that you absolutely can't get any other way, I would check out the Sony Store, Kobo Books, Google Books, or in a pinch even Borders, all of whom can sell you books already in proper EPUB format.

You may have heard that Borders is going bankrupt, but once the book is on your computer, you will never need them in the future even for DRM issues, like re-authorizing a new PC or reader, which is handled by Adobe, not the bookseller. (This is one of the advantages of Adobe's ADEPT DRM)

Last edited by delphin; 02-18-2011 at 06:39 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Unless the book is something that you absolutely can't get any other way, I would check out the Sony Store, Kobo Books, Google Books, or in a pinch even Borders, all of whom can sell you books already in proper EPUB format.
Please let me also recommend BooksOnBoard, which has a purchase credits program and has been significantly expanding its offerings (at least in the genres I am interested in).
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Borders is bankrupt, but not all the stores are closing (yet) - and it's digital book store is powered by, and supported by, Kobo, so no matter what happens to Borders, you don't need to worry about access to digital books.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I started using the apprentice alf plug-in for Calibre about a month ago with no problems. Today I upgraded Calibre to the latest version, and now I'm getting errors when I try to convert a DRM'd book to epub. I downloaded the newer version of the Tools and installed them, deleted the books, re-imported and tried again, same error. One book actually says "DRM protected" when I try to convert; the other doesn't say that but the other just says Failed Conversion, and does give a whole list of details, if that would help to post here (I am highly ignorant of how this software works).

Any ideas?
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
I started using the apprentice alf plug-in for Calibre about a month ago with no problems. Today I upgraded Calibre to the latest version, and now I'm getting errors when I try to convert a DRM'd book to epub. I downloaded the newer version of the Tools and installed them, deleted the books, re-imported and tried again, same error. One book actually says "DRM protected" when I try to convert; the other doesn't say that but the other just says Failed Conversion, and does give a whole list of details, if that would help to post here (I am highly ignorant of how this software works).

Any ideas?
What version of the tools are you using? The most recent is v2.6. See the following thread in the Calibre plugin forum for more info, and you can ask questions there. I, too, am largely uninformed on this topic, but I do know that Amazon recently made changes to their DRM scheme that necessitated an update to the tools.

Here is the link. If it doesn't work go to: Calibre > Plugins > K4PC DeDRM Plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76#post1406576
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Meremark, I don't know whether you have done this, but compare the prices on the Sony store to Amazon. They are often the same. Amazon used to be less expensive, but now, especially with a Sony, it pays to shop around.

Besides the stores already mentioned, don't forget your library! Most library books are available in epub format (as you may already know).

But yes, if you don't mind stripping the DRM, conversion in Calibre is easy (once you have an uncopyprotected book).
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
What version of the tools are you using? The most recent is v2.6. See the following thread in the Calibre plugin forum for more info, and you can ask questions there. I, too, am largely uninformed on this topic, but I do know that Amazon recently made changes to their DRM scheme that necessitated an update to the tools.

Here is the link. If it doesn't work go to: Calibre > Plugins > K4PC DeDRM Plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76#post1406576
Yes, thanks, I had updated from an earlier version, but then the next day after I posted a newer one came out and that solved the problem. Now I see that there is even a 2.7 out so time to upgrade again.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert, kindle, sony reader