Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #121
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Just when I figure something out, I get confused again. Is Boxee and Roku the same? Are they the same as Netcast and Samsung's Apps?
Roku is 100% about streaming from Internet Services like Netflix and Hulu and Vudu.

Boxee does that type of stuff too... but in addition provides media server type services. It presents your digital library of TV shows and Movies with meta data, searching, watched flags, etc. You can download the software and try it out on a PC yourself first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #122
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Roku is 100% about streaming from Internet Services like Netflix and Hulu and Vudu.

Boxee does that type of stuff too... but in addition provides media server type services. It presents your digital library of TV shows and Movies with meta data, searching, watched flags, etc. You can download the software and try it out on a PC yourself first.

BOb
You can?! I'll try that. Thanks!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #123
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recently revisited the Apple TV2 due to the new AirPlay just released for iTunes and iOS 4.3.

This actually looks like a nice idea. With centralized data in iTunes you can access the same library with multiple AppleTVs. An AppleTV is $99 so a good price for a client/STB machine.

The main upside is with AirPlay you can stream from your iTunes library/machine to any iOS device and also transfer content without needing to sync via USB.

However... I did find some downsides...

1. AppleTV is limited to 720p. Not a big problem for me now, since I have a 720p TV, but in the future it could be an issue.

2. AppleTV doesn't support very many formats. Most TV I download which, even though it is H.264, are also .avi and or .mkv files. AppleTV doesn't support these. So, most all content I download would have to be re-encoded to mp4/m4v file format. This takes time... no more instant watch after d/l-ing.

3. Meta data pulling for iTunes seems a dark art. There is 1 great app called iFlicks that will d/l Movie and TV metadata from the internet and add the info to your files and move the files to iTunes. Problem is, this is Mac only... I couldn't find a Windows equivalent that people relied on. MetaX looks like the best but most people say it doesn't always work. I don't want to have to rely on a specific platform for storing/serving/encoding video to my TV.

Sigh... so it was looking good... but I don't think I will go this way. Getting a Boxee Box looks like what I am going to do even though I like the idea of Plex's centralized library and metadata much better. Boxee supports up to 1080p and pretty much every file format I would d/l too.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #124
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I gave up cable TV a few months ago but kept my cable Internet service. I've noticed that a few channels are still available. I can watch most of the local channels (except for ABC), The Weather Channel, WGN, Lifetime Movies, a couple of shopping channels and Turner Classic Movies. I've installed a switch so I can change rapidly between antenna and cable.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #125
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I gave up cable TV a few months ago but kept my cable Internet service. I've noticed that a few channels are still available. I can watch most of the local channels (except for ABC), The Weather Channel, WGN, Lifetime Movies, a couple of shopping channels and Turner Classic Movies. I've installed a switch so I can change rapidly between antenna and cable.
Really? that's interesting. Even though it's turned off you still get cable channels?

Maybe I should check mine. I've never bothered to try...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #126
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

At the top of my wishlist is a NetGear Ready NAS to store all my media files including Movies, Music, TV, eBooks... oh and to get those two USB drives off my desk.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #127
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At the top of my wishlist is a NetGear Ready NAS to store all my media files including Movies, Music, TV, eBooks... oh and to get those two USB drives off my desk.

BOb
That looks tempting...
I'm not quite there yet ....but close..
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #128
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
We've got this one: ReadyNAS Duo, filled with 2x2TB. The best thing we've bought so far. It looks nice and works awesome. Even the TV can play from it (via DLNA).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #129
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
We've got this one: ReadyNAS Duo, filled with 2x2TB. The best thing we've bought so far. It looks nice and works awesome. Even the TV can play from it (via DLNA).
It does have a nicer price point.. but I want room to grow with a bit of redundancy.

There is the old non-intel based 4way ReadyNAS that cost less than the Ultra.. but from what I've read the Ultra is the way to go... especially if you want to run software on the NAS. I'd like to be able to run a Torrent client on the NAS if possible.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #130
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

BOb
That, with the HDDs, costs as much as my computer which also has 4 bays. I'm trying to see the benefit of having that if I already have a desktop. What am I not seeing?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #131
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That, with the HDDs, costs as much as my computer which also has 4 bays. I'm trying to see the benefit of having that if I already have a desktop. What am I not seeing?
Built in redundancy using RAID. Built in hot-swapping. Built in RAID expansion, actually they call it X-Raid so I can just change one drive for a larger drive and get more space. Purpose built OS so no need to manage the OS/Virus Software, etc.

Yes essentially it is a purpose built PC... but it is plug and play compared to doing this all on my own.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #132
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Here is some more info on X-Raid:

What is the advantage of using X-RAID over RAID 5?
The ReadyNAS systems support both RAID levels. RAID 5 is an industry-standard RAID level whereas X-RAID is an Infrant patented RAID technology that simplifies and automates the RAID management process. X-RAID utilizes a one-volume technology with built-in volume expansion support, either by adding more disks or by replacing existing disk with larger capacity disks. For instance, you can start out with one disk, and add up to 3 more disks when you need more capacity or when you can afford them. Volume management is automatic. Add a 2nd disk, it becomes a mirror to the first, providing protection from a disk failure; add a 3rd, the capacity doubles; add a 4th, and your capacity triples . the expansion occurring while maintaining redundancy.

X-RAID also provides further expansion capability. At a future point in time, each disk can be replaced one by one, have it finish rebuilding, and after the last disk is replaced, your volume automatically expands utilizing the new capacity. This future-proof technology allows you to continuously expand as higher-capacity disks become available.

Performance-wise, X-RAID is optimized for larger sequential access request pattern, such as video streaming and editing. Performance over RAID 5 in large data transfer can be as much as 15-20% better.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #133
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Built in redundancy using RAID. Built in hot-swapping. Built in RAID expansion, actually they call it X-Raid so I can just change one drive for a larger drive and get more space. Purpose built OS so no need to manage the OS/Virus Software, etc.

Yes essentially it is a purpose built PC... but it is plug and play compared to doing this all on my own.

BOb
Well, perhaps... I suppose I'd have to really want that option, but I really can't see why. It's pretty easy to put in or take out HDD's in the pc case. For storage only drives, it's easy enough to keep them in the PC but disabled. I have purchased a HDD docking station to pop in HDDs that I'm no longer using but might like to access some time. It works great, but I have noticed, I seldom use it. That being said, it was only $40 for the dual docking station, so no biggie. However $580 for diskless network box with storage potential, but no actual storage?? What am I missing or is it as ridiculously overpriced as it seems?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #134
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, perhaps... I suppose I'd have to really want that option, but I really can't see why. It's pretty easy to put in or take out HDD's in the pc case. For storage only drives, it's easy enough to keep them in the PC but disabled. I have purchased a HDD docking station to pop in HDDs that I'm no longer using but might like to access some time. It works great, but I have noticed, I seldom use it. That being said, it was only $40 for the dual docking station, so no biggie. However $580 for diskless network box with storage potential, but no actual storage?? What am I missing or is it as ridiculously overpriced as it seems?
It's on par of the prices with other devices with the same features.

As you said, it cost about the same as a PC with 4 drive bays... since that's what it is I think the price is pretty much in line... it cost less than a Drobo which is basically the same thing.

No I don't think it is over priced... although I would like to see it cost less.

You want over priced, check THIS out.

BOb
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #135
kennyc

Quote:

No I don't think it is over priced... although I would like to see it cost less.

You want over priced, check THIS out.

BOb