Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
wmmullaney
wmmullaney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
Kindle Light

Hey everyone, first post here! Just bought a Kindle and had a quick question:

Has anyone figured out how to hack the power connector on the side of the Kindle 3? I want a self powered light, but don't want to pay amazon another $70.

Thanks!
wmmullaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, wmmullaney

I am constantly amazed at the different work arounds questions posted.

It will be interesting to see the answer to this one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
wmmullaney

Hey! Thank you

What would be fun if we didn't get to hack? I was just curios if someone else has before I voided my warranty

Have a nice day
Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Don't know the answer but it should be possible to measure the current, amps, whatever at those two slots and figure out an led or other light to run off of it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are two listed here for $51.99

Fullfillment by Amazon, so you get free shipping.......is that better?
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
wmmullaney

@FF2 Thanks for the reply, I'm sure there is plenty of current for an LED (Amazon did it) but I think it is a connector, with several pins. Desertgrandma, could you confirm?

Haha thanks, but I'd rather spend the money on books and have the satisfaction of a butt ugly contraption hanging off the side of my beloved ereader. Thanks anyway!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I may be wrong but I don't believe the two gold or copper connectors have circuits like a usb connector. I think they are just two metal hooks that carry current in/out to/from the kindle3, at least. I'd need a thin mirror to see their bottom surfaces since they are a stiff metal and I cannot peer under them or flex them.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmullaney View Post
@FF2 Thanks for the reply, I'm sure there is plenty of current for an LED (Amazon did it) but I think it is a connector, with several pins. Desertgrandma, could you confirm?

Haha thanks, but I'd rather spend the money on books and have the satisfaction of a butt ugly contraption hanging off the side of my beloved ereader. Thanks anyway!
Here is a video showing them..........go forward to about point 138.......
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Hey... my first post. I just registered to try to help answer your question.

I purchased a Kindle3 a few days ago myself and bought the lighted case the next day because it felt too vulnerable without the case. In the store they didn't have any on display and I hadn't yet noticed the slots on the side and I was envisioning some insane induction loop setup and realized that I'd allowed my imagination to run wild once I realized how it really worked.

Anyhow, the hinge connections are actually rather simple. The bottom one slides into the slot and rotates in (apparently against a spring loaded connector as you rotate the device into the upper clip). The top clip is spring loaded and shaped more like a ratchet mechanism. I saw the teardown pictures that seem to imply that there is a multi point connection, but IIRC there is a solid connector for the top and a solid connector for the bottom, so the two pins are probably just redundancy, I suspect + & - are the two separate hinge clips.

Here's a picture that I found online:
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-07/...e-cover-hinge/

I lost my Kindle today (I was afraid this'd happen) because my gf decided that she wanted it for the day... HEY, IT WAS **MY** KINDLE!! Looks like we'll be a two Kindle household soon. Once I get it back tonight I can take pictures or measure the size of these pins with a caliper if you'd like more info. Reply here if you're still looking for more...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Hey... my first post. I just registered to try to help answer your question.
Welcome to MobileRead, twowheels........feel free to use the "introduce myself" link below, start a new thread and meet the crew.....