Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I wouldn't blame Sony since they actually opened up their reader so that you can read Epub books offered by other ebook stores, other than those sold by Apple and B&N.
hmm Apple have also opened up their book app so yiu can read Epub books from other stores(assuming they dont have DRM.

And blame Adobe not Apple. Adobe who charge a ridiculous amount imo to let others access adept so why would Apple pay adobe all that money when they already have their own DRM system.

Apple had little choice really.

DRM free - Publishers say no
use Adept - Adobe charge us (in apples opinion I guess) too much money.

they have at least allowed everyone to put their readers onto iPad and if someone adds an app which can read Adept DRM Apple will have all of the different systems available on one device AND be the only ones doing it.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #32
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
hmm Apple have also opened up their book app so yiu can read Epub books from other stores(assuming they dont have DRM.

And blame Adobe not Apple. Adobe who charge a ridiculous amount imo to let others access adept so why would Apple pay adobe all that money when they already have their own DRM system.

Apple had little choice really.

DRM free - Publishers say no
use Adept - Adobe charge us (in apples opinion I guess) too much money.
I don't think opening up the reading device to non DRM EPub is that unique since I believe most readers that support Epubs do it as well.

Just out of curiosity, how much does Adobe charge to let others access adept? I think there are other readers beside Sony who uses it and some of them seem to be smaller companies than Sony or Apple. It's hard to imagine that other companies can afford it while a big company like Apple can't.

Last edited by MerLock; 04-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Apple and Adobe aren't exactly buddies right now either, don't forget that.

While I doubt Apple will stop anyone from making an eReader app that supports ADEPT, I highly doubt Jobs will support ADEPT within iBooks.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #34
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I don't think opening up the reading device to non DRM EPub is that unique since I believe most readers that support Epubs do it as well.

Just out of curiosity, how much does Adobe charge to let others access adept? I think there are other readers beside Sony who uses it and some of them seem to be smaller companies than Sony or Apple. It's hard to imagine that other companies can afford it while a big company like Apple can't.

\
Also, remember that those smaller companies would need to develop an alternative DRM scheme whereas Apple already had one. It is also likely that Adobe has a licensing model that ties to unit sales by the other companies which allows them to incur the cost as they sell their product as opposed to having to put out the up front investment in building their own DRM scheme.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #35
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBook is just so-so.
I agree. What are your specific observations just out of curiosity?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
LarryT63
LarryT63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm writing this on my iPad and it's fantastic! I too am having formatting issues. Specifically some books brought over from calibre just don't let me scale the fonts up. I'm wondering if callbre will offer an export to iPad function soon?
LarryT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #37
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Also, remember that those smaller companies would need to develop an alternative DRM scheme whereas Apple already had one. It is also likely that Adobe has a licensing model that ties to unit sales by the other companies which allows them to incur the cost as they sell their product as opposed to having to put out the up front investment in building their own DRM scheme.
Sony also had their own DRM scheme but gave it up for Adept. Why couldn't Apple have done the same? Yes, it would cost Apple some money but I also believe the main reason they didn't, is because they want to tie consumers in to the books they sell. If the Ipad becomes a hit and their ebook sales take off, it also gives them more negotiating power with he publishers, like it did for music.

Just hoping it all works out in the future.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #38
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

believe it or not, jobs is pretty anti-drm, he fought against it for years with the record industries and eventually won. i read somewhere he tried to get the book publishers also to skip the drm, but they wouldn't agree to it. so they'll take a few years to learn their lesson and drop it as well.

apple isn't getting along with adobe right now, why on earth would they drop their own in-house developed DRM scheme to hand over a sack of cash to adobe to use their DRM scheme? makes no business sense, and i think their stockholders would agree, given that apple spent time and money to develop fairplay (that they tried to license out a bit years ago).

i think while apple is happy selling books, they realize it isn't going to be another cash cow like music and apps are.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Although they could have used it like Sony why pay someone else when you already have an in house solution that is workable. Is it the best solution for their customers.......no, but it's probable the best business decision.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #40
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
convert the PDF's to rpub in calibre first? using its formatting tools to fix anyu problems.
Could you elaborate please? I've tried to convert non-drm'd, fiction PDFs to epub in calibre and always end up with a mess. The headers and page numbers are jumbled in with the book text even if I check the boxes to exclude them. Thank you.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #41
MerLock
Evangelist

The original point was why I blamed Apple for adding another DRM scheme and was told the blame should be put on Adobe. I'm just explaining why personally I blame Apple. As mentioned already, Apple put their own business decision above what I consider a better solution to the customer.

I agree that they are a company and money comes first but still doesn't change my mind that I blame them. Placing blame on Adobe for the similar belief is also a valid one, for they are not giving it away for companies to use. However, I would souly blame Apple if the reason they went in house with their DRM is because of their squabble with Adobe. If the cost of implementing Adobe's DRM is 'pocket change' to them, then there really isn't a reason for them not to do what is better for the customer.

I guess at the end I'll blame both for not doing what is better for the consumer and throw in the pubishers as well since they insist on having DRM.

Last edited by MerLock; 04-13-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how much does Adobe charge to let others access adept?
There a per-year capital fee, but the killer is the per-copy fee. Every book that's sold with Adobe's DRM requires a payment of $0.22 that goes to Adobe.

So - Apple sells a $1 ebook in the iBooks store. Apple gets $0.30, and has to immediately pay $0.22 over to Adobe?

Worse - Apple has a free book in the iBooks store. Apple gets nothing, and still has to pay Adobe $0.22.

Even looking at a more reasonable ebook price, like $3.99, Apple gets $1.20 and has to pay Adobe $0.22.

Apple expects to sell lots of books - no doubt they hope to eventually sell hundreds of millions per year. (Whether they will or not is another matter - that must certainly be their plan over the next five years or so.)

Why pay tens of millions of dollars to Adobe every year, when they have a DRM system of their own?

I just hope the publishers realise that DRM isn't in their interests either, before very much longer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #43
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
The original point was why I blamed Apple for adding another DRM scheme and was told the blame should be put on Adobe. I'm just explaining why personally I blame Apple. As mentioned already, Apple put their own business decision above what I consider a better solution to the customer.

I agree that they are a company and money comes first but still doesn't change my mind that I blame them. Placing blame on Adobe for the similar belief is also a valid one, for they are not giving it away for companies to use. However, I would souly blame Apple if the reason they went in house with their DRM is because of their squabble with Adobe. If the cost of implementing Adobe's DRM is 'pocket change' to them, then there really isn't a reason for them not to do what is better for the customer.

I guess at the end I'll blame both for not doing what is better for the consumer and throw in the pubishers as well since they insist on having DRM.
If you want to place blame for this mess the group that established epub without standardizing on a drm layer would seem to be the place. Lack of an integrated drm strategy is what is creating this mess of what is supposed to be a "standard".
Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #44
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
OK. Just got my iPad today.
First, iTunes 8 won't recognize it. So I downloaded iTunes 9.1, and I'm in business.
First to install is Kindle app for iPad. NICE!
Then iBooks, then Marvel.
For Marvel, I want to see if I can put other comics in .pdf or rar-ed jpgs there.
For iBooks, I have been buying and downloading ePub from Sony, Kobo (shortcovers), Stanza library (the Randomhouse freebies) and the library.

the Randomhouse free-library epub from Stanza is drm-free (as stanza doesn't support ADE). So these ePubs don't need to be relieved from their DRM-burden. After "copying" them from my iPhone to my HD, I can just drag and drop them into iTunes.

the ePub from Sony and Kobo (some are also Randomhouse freebies), have DRM. So, inept-ing them will relieve the DRM burden. From there, another easy drag and drop to iTunes. As is the case with ePub from the libraries.

Problem for me now (as I wrote this post), is the iBooks app still haven't shown itself on my iPad screen, while its setting is avaliable under "SETTINGS"
Maybe because I still have pending downloads directly from App store to my iPad.

I'll update this posting as soon as I have iBooks app properly installed on my iPad, but the idea is to try to open various ePub from as many commercial sources as possible (all HAS to be relieved from their DRM, if any). Maybe I can find out which ePub created properly (i.e. letter sizing, proper cover, proper TOC).

Lastly, when iBooks app is installed, I'll try buy some books from the iTunes iBooks store.

UPDATE:
the iBooks is.. quite awesome. While it has limited fonts choice (someone would scream 'EMBEDDED FONT PUHLEEZ"), the Baskerville option is quite nice on the eye.

and Marvel comics (reader) is also nice. With iPad form factor, reading 'enhanced' comics is nice. But I dunno if i can put other comics there, yet, at least not until the jailbreaking peeps can address it

cheers

Last edited by thianliongpatpoh; 04-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #45
scottjl
Reader of Books

you do have to go into the iTunes App store and purchase (for free) the iBooks application. It does not come pre-installed and does not auto-download. It also will not be available for you if you have an iTunes account that is registered outside the US.