Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
paulat
paulat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unhappy Anyway to move the dictionaries outside the default "dicionaries" collection?

I recently bought a collins book about english usage however after I put it in my kindle it didn't show up. After fiddling around I found out the book was automatically contained in the "dictionaries" collections by the system which was filltered out by my "books only" settings.

I used plugin to de-drm it (for better management purposes only) and tried to send to my device again (avoid to the "dictionaries" subfolder) however it still appeared in the "dictionaries" collections.

Since I really want to keep my "books only" settings meanwhile able to reach this new book easily, could anyone tell me is there a way to "de-dictionary" this new book I bought, i.e. do not let the kindle system view this book as a dictionary? (BTW the book is in mobi format after being de-drmed)

Help guys...

Last edited by paulat; 12-04-2015 at 01:36 AM.
paulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat View Post
I recently bought a collins book about english usage however after I put it in my kindle it didn't show up. After fiddling around I found out the book was automatically contained in the "dictionaries" collections by the system which was filltered out by my "books only" settings.

I used plugin to de-drm it (for better management purposes only) and tried to send to my device again (avoid to the "dictionaries" subfolder) however it still appeared in the "dictionaries" collections.

Since I really want to keep my "books only" settings meanwhile able to reach this new book easily, could anyone tell me is there a way to "de-dictionary" this new book I bought, i.e. do not let the kindle system view this book as a dictionary? (BTW the book is in mobi format after being de-drmed)

Help guys...
An item can be in multiple collections so try adding it to another and using collection view.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
paulat
paulat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks.
Is there anyway like to change the metadata of the book?
How does kindle distinguish a "book" from a "dictionary"?
paulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A dictionary has a different format to a normal book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I think it would have to be consider a Dictionary so when you looking for more information on a word as you read it will connect correctly. What you going to do Stop reading go to Dictionary look up a word THEN go back to the book find your place again? Not me! I want my Dictionary to Inner act .... is that the Word I looking for
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, you mean "interact".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
No, you mean "interact".
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle