Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
Why I love Calibre

Why I love Calibre

1. It works!: Kovid Goyal has written a jewel of an application that has become the Swiss Army Knife of book management. Of course I use only a couple features (either don't understand or need others) but they work every time. I get regular updates and since I've had it not once has the install failed.

2. Support: Not only does it work, when I ask a favor I usually get help. Kovid makes time to jump in and offer help and makes room for the community to step in also. All of you have been very helpful even when I ask for something that can't be done. The last time it was to automate a tedious process and someone posted some script for the bulk-update which works perfectly.

3: It's free: I contribute now and then but likely wouldn't be able to afford an expensive application. Certainly one priced appropriately for all the features.

4: Capacity seems unlimited: I have over 2K books in Calibre and it runs the same today as when I started. Search takes a tad longer but is still plenty fast (AND it searches multiple columns).

Every time I open Calibre I feel good about it. It suits my needs to a "T". I am a very retired man who is a full time caretaker for a family member and mostly read to pass time. I've read over 600 books in the past 2 years and stocked up on Amazon Free books as I'm afraid they will stop being free. Still I'm picky and get only ones I think I'll like.

When asked what I do I tell them I'm a book keeper. Books are wonderful and provide me much enjoyment. Calibre is a big help in that, so thank you very much!
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
What impresses me most about Calibre is not the superb user interface, nor the large range of features. It's the way they keep it constantly up to date for new readers, firmware, ebook formats, etc. As a sometime software developer myself, I know what a huge headache that can be.

Mike

Last edited by Mike L; 10-12-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Minor spelling correction
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, always nice to hear from happy users. Keeps me motivated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
jemkeith
Enthusiast
jemkeith began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Smile Another thank you

I want to add another thank you. I love the software. I use it just about every day. Without it, my ereader would be almost useless.
Thank you!
jemkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
You know, I don't think I've said Thank You recently either. I've got a lot of books and without calibre there to assist me in managing them in something like a logical and orderly fashion -- on my part, not calibre's -- I don't know what kind of awful mess I would be in.

Of course, as great as the software is, I do think it has room for improvement. So when do you perfect the humaniform robotic replacement that will go to work for me, wash the dishes, clean the house, run errands, and do all those other distractions so that I can dedicate more time to getting my database in order?

And then, what would I do with myself once the database is actually completed and perfected?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbs up

I think Calibre is the best thing since sliced bread!
I enjoy getting my Friday morning update.

Thanks Kovid and keep up the good work!
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kovid, thanks for Calibre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
Why I love Calibre

1. It works!: Kovid Goyal has written a jewel of an application that has become the Swiss Army Knife of book management. Of course I use only a couple features (either don't understand or need others) but they work every time. I get regular updates and since I've had it not once has the install failed.

2. Support: Not only does it work, when I ask a favor I usually get help. Kovid makes time to jump in and offer help and makes room for the community to step in also. All of you have been very helpful even when I ask for something that can't be done. The last time it was to automate a tedious process and someone posted some script for the bulk-update which works perfectly.

3: It's free: I contribute now and then but likely wouldn't be able to afford an expensive application. Certainly one priced appropriately for all the features.

4: Capacity seems unlimited: I have over 2K books in Calibre and it runs the same today as when I started. Search takes a tad longer but is still plenty fast (AND it searches multiple columns).

Every time I open Calibre I feel good about it. It suits my needs to a "T". I am a very retired man who is a full time caretaker for a family member and mostly read to pass time. I've read over 600 books in the past 2 years and stocked up on Amazon Free books as I'm afraid they will stop being free. Still I'm picky and get only ones I think I'll like.

When asked what I do I tell them I'm a book keeper. Books are wonderful and provide me much enjoyment. Calibre is a big help in that, so thank you very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
What impresses me most about Calibre is not the superb user interface, nor the large range of features. It's the way they keep in constantly up to date for new readers, firmware, ebook formats, etc. As a sometime software developer myself, I know what a huge headache that can be.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemkeith View Post
I want to add another thank you. I love the software. I use it just about every day. Without it, my ereader would be almost useless.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
You know, I don't think I've said Thank You recently either. I've got a lot of books and without calibre there to assist me in managing them in something like a logical and orderly fashion -- on my part, not calibre's -- I don't know what kind of awful mess I would be in.

Of course, as great as the software is, I do think it has room for improvement. So when do you perfect the humaniform robotic replacement that will go to work for me, wash the dishes, clean the house, run errands, and do all those other distractions so that I can dedicate more time to getting my database in order?

And then, what would I do with myself once the database is actually completed and perfected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa65 View Post
I think Calibre is the best thing since sliced bread!
I enjoy getting my Friday morning update.

Thanks Kovid and keep up the good work!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
No doubt the perfect thanks would to be to use that PayPal button on the software update page! I actually did it last week. I think it's probably the first piece of shareware that I've actually voluntarily paid money for!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Without Calibre and some of its plugins, I would not even be able to organize and read ebooks in an orderly fashion.

We'll suggest a Nobel Prize for Kovid when he's around 96, keeping in line with the current practice of waiting so long to acknowledge people's efforts that they're about to die at the time they're being considered
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Time to pile on...
I've used all the available systems, free and paid for. I've had problems with them all or didn't like how they worked...especially no response from the people responsible for it when it doesn't work as advertised.

I love, love, love Calibre and have contributed...though not nearly enough as it is worth.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Without calibre my ebook and fanfic collection would be a horrendous mess scattered across multiple hard disks and in danger of being lost any time my laptop sneezes. Thank you Kovid!
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post

Kovid Goyal has written a jewel of an application that has become the Swiss Army Knife of book management.
What a great way to describe this utterly invaluable application!

Other than Outlook, it is the only application that is always running on my laptop.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Calibre is one of the (IMHO) very few applications that show that open source can work.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Calibre is one of the (IMHO) very few applications that show that open source can work.
Unix, Linux, Firefox... Ψ++

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Yes to all of the above. Thank you! And thanks to those who wrote the wonderfully helpful plugins for those like me who can't figure out the technical things.
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote