Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #25651
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh
I think I'll go outside a while
An jus' smile
Just take in some clean fresh air boy
Ain't no sense in stayin' inside
If the weather's fine an' you got the time
It's your chance to wake up and plan another brand new day
Either way
It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7au2eWtEVY )

Good morning, everyone. It really IS a beautiful morning. Being Sunday, the Food Lady is taking her day of rest, and we don't want to buy from the other vendors so we cooked our own breakfast today! Taylors of Harrogate's "Yorkshire" tea (British,) "Nurenbergerwurst" sausage (German,) and croissants (French,) with a bit of goat cheese (Italian,) eaten by an American and a Japanese... in Thailand. Is this a small world, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Due to the vagaries of NJ topography I live much closer to New York City but pick up Philadelphia radio and television. I don't recall any recent reports of werewolf attacks on the news programs ... but they'd probably hush that stuff up, anyway.
The Gallop Polls have shown that werewolf attacks are the number one cause of the decline of tourism. It just doesn't pay to glorify them in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Oh my! I loved Kolchak! That hat! That rumpled suit! Those corny monsters! That phony dialogue! It didn't get much better than that!
Columbo in Fantasyland? Harry Dresden as a newspaper reporter? 'The Night Stalker' was one of my parent's favorite TV shows. Amazing that a show that only ran for about two years garnered such a large following. I'll have to download the series. I was too busy with sex, drugs, and rock&roll during those years to watch much TV. Well... maybe not so much rock&roll.

Time for another mug of 'Yorkshire' tea, then we're off to do some exploring!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #25652
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well I can say that I did not spot a single wolf of any kind the entire time I was there. So I think the reports are over rated. Probably seeded by NYC in fear of competition.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #25653
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well I can say that I did not spot a single wolf of any kind the entire time I was there. So I think the reports are over rated. Probably seeded by NYC in fear of competition.
They have been known to frequent upscale doughnut shops, lurking in the back corners waiting for unsuspecting souls to go to the rest room to wash the honey glaze from their fingers...

I have a big glass of freshly squeeze Rose Apple juice that I bought on the Sunday Night Walking Street Market. We had dinner at tables set up inside the walls of one of the large temples in town, with dozens of different food vendors plying their wares. Outside the walls, the street were lined with vendors selling everything you can imagine, from paintings to pottery, bamboo flutes to floor coverings. The Juice Guy (that isn't the Thai name for him, was actually a her, but what the heck...) would take which ever fruits you wanted and put them in her juicer, with a plastic bag over the out-flow spout. When finished, she'd stick a straw in the bag and seal it with several twists of rubber bands. This is the typical way one buys drinks on the street in Thailand and Malaysia. It works well as long as you don't need to put it down for a minute...

Stitchawl
Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #25654
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
If you get a chance, I'd like to see a photo of what those drink bags looks like. I wonder why cups are not used?

It will be a hot one today and I've come inside, after watering the garden, to turn on the a/c and start on inside chores. Maybe, I'll mow the lawn this evening when it cools down some or, at least, when the sun has almost gone down.

Sumatra coffee in my cup and a biscotti on my plate.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #25655
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, after 3 weeks of daily overdosing on Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwin and the rest of the Tour de France, it's over and the summer TV doldrums are upon us. Sigh. But a great finish this year for a young Columbian rider that completely blew me away this year, Nairo Quintana. What a pure and beautiful climber to watch.

In my cup today, Anniversary Breakfast Blend. It still compares well with the Prince Charles blend I've been enjoying.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #25656
Stitchawl
Opsimath

If I were a rich man,
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a biddy biddy rich,
Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle man.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahAOU1HZXlc )

Good morning, everyone! Happy Monday! There is only one more Monday after this one in 2013's July, so don't waste it! Big decisions to make today; what to eat for breakfast... No question about the tea though. I'm already drinking East India Company's "English Breakfast" tea! And I'll certainly have a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd mug of the same before I'm done with morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
If you get a chance, I'd like to see a photo of what those drink bags looks like. I wonder why cups are not used?
The answer is easy! Cost. Cups are 10x more expensive than thin plastic bags. Adding in a rubber band is NOT usually done as that ups the cost... Often they will tie the handles together. This is the standard street serve all over S.E. Asia. Fill a bag with crushed ice, pour in the drink, stick in a straw, and you're good to go! Here are a couple of links to photos of these bags I found on the net.

Although you can't drink the water anywhere in Thailand/Burma/Laos/Cambodia, ice is safe to use as it's cheaper for vendors to buy ice from commercial ice houses than make it themselves. Very different from my old days hanging out around the Mexican border... Ice was a killer in those days! Guaranteed case of the G.I.Blues!

Time for cup #2 of E.I.C.'s "English Breakfast" tea, and a quick trip downstairs to visit the Food Lady!

Stitchawl
Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #25657
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The answer is easy! Cost. Cups are 10x more expensive than thin plastic bags. Adding in a rubber band is NOT usually done as that ups the cost... Often they will tie the handles together. This is the standard street serve all over S.E. Asia. Fill a bag with crushed ice, pour in the drink, stick in a straw, and you're good to go! Here are a couple of links to photos of these bags I found on the net.

Stitchawl
What about hot drinks?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #25658
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
What about hot drinks?
I've never seen hot drinks being sold on the street. When buying coffee at a convenience store or take-out shop, it's always in cups. The drinks sold in bags by street vendors tend to be things like Coke, Orange soda, Sprite, etc., or fruit juices... All things served over ice. And there is far more ice in the bags than product! Ice is cheaper...

And by the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAT STEVENS!

Stitchawl
Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #25659
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Home made pizza tonight, with real pepperoni from Salumi in Seattle. Yumm. This pepperoni is really too good to put on pizza, but we did it anyway. We can usually only get their pepperoni near Father's day, so we go a bit overboard.

And, in my glass, last year's La Frenz Viogner.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #25660
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
A small glass of milk and some of my daughter's homemade chocolate chip cookies.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #25661
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I can't see the buildings two blocks away. The rain is too heavy. It was bright sunshine until about 10 minutes ago when the black clouds rolled in. Then, like turning on a faucet, all the water in the world started coming down...

... so... what better time to take a break and drink a mug of Lapsang Souchong tea! And in the time that it's taken me to type this, I can now see building three blocks away! Must be the eye of the storm cuz there are plenty more black clouds still blowing in!

Stitchawl
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #25662
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A lunchtime Coke Zero
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #25663
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@Stichawl - No rainy days really here in the summer, so I can't join you in that Lapsang Souchong. But I agree completely - the perfect rainy day tea. (And why I drink so much of it in the winter here!)

Fresh squeezed orange juice, and a big mug of Prince Charles blend tea.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #25664
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for the links Stitchawl.

Sumatra coffee in my cup and then out to water the garden.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #25665
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
First mug of tea of the day.

Then, off to the physical therapist to torture my knee back to health.

Then, into the basement with my ohmmeter, to try to track down a short circuit in the telephone wiring.

Fun.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?