Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #46
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@theducks, Thanks for showing me where to look

It shows up under Scanners and Cameras on mine, see attached.

Poking around a bit also shows me that not all the files/directories are visible. My added SD card has an ebooks directory, only 7 of the 30 epubs I know are on there are displayed.

This seems consistent with what's been said in the last few posts.

It's official, I'm a "lost cause" It's not a problem for me, I'll continue doing what I've been doing, but if you want me to test anything on my geriatric system, feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinXP_SGNote.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	92445  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unless something else comes up, I'll just leave XP as officially unsupported. If it works for you, great if not you have the various wireless options, or you could upgrade, XP is over a decade old!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #48
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
... XP is over a decade old!
A mere whippersnapper
Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #49
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have tried the MTP connection on my Nexus 7. It looks like it did a scan of my entire device and found books and logs from all sorts of locations. Including a zip file that contained ogg files plus one xml file from the navigation system.

I have several epubs in the device view that say Unknown for Title and Author. These were sent by Calibre Companion and open fine on my device. When I attempt to add them to calibre's library I get the following error.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\whanthon\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calib re_0.8.69_tmp_woksa1\\qickte_prepare_mtp\\o3B8D\\T he Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook_ 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker-Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann.epub'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 461, in _prepare_addable_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 268, in prepare_addable_books
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\whanthon\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calib re_0.8.69_tmp_woksa1\\qickte_prepare_mtp\\o3B8D\\T he Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook_ 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker-Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann.epub'

It seems what they all have in common is the file name is too long, see attached. I can see every book that causes this error in Windows explorer fine, but they will not open via Windows because the file name is too long. Android though has no problem opening them. Most of them are books with multiple authors.

Calibre Companion handles them fine but Calibre doesn't recognize the books with a check in the OnDevice column as being in the library and on the device.

This is not a problem for me but I wanted to point out the situation to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's official, I'm a "lost cause" It's not a problem for me, I'll continue doing what I've been doing
Have you been using Calibre Companion? If not give it ago. I even used your old coll505sort to create a All by Author (abs) sort of all my books on my device by Author, Series and Title. For less than $3 you can't go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error_Pop-up.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	92487  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-17-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #50
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
@mbovenka: I re-uploaded the 0.8.69 build with the fix, so if you re-download and re-install that error will hopefully go away.
Thanks; it does work fine now!

One thing, though: the save template you define in the device setup does not override the global save template defined in Preferences -> Sending books to devices. I had a bit of a head-scratcher when it insisted on creating author name subdirs when I had told it not to

Fixing the global save template fixed that, but I guess the device template should override the glbal one, no?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dwannthny: Actually the driver should not be listing archives like zip files, I'll fix that for the next release. I'll also fix the long filename problem, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@dwannthny: I looked at the long filename issue, and I think I have it fixed for adding books from the device to calibre, however, for reading metadata I'm going to need some more info from you, as I dont really see why the long filename should matter for reading metadata and I cannot reproduce with my device.

Could you do the following:

1) Stop calibre
2) Delete the metadata.calibre file from the device with Windows explorer
3) Disconnect the device
4) Start calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button)
5) connect device
6) After calibre has finished scanning the device, quit calibre and post the debug log

The debug log will contain details about all files on your device, so if you dont want to post that publicly eith er PM me or just extract the errors from the log (they will appear as tracebacks and post those)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mbovenka: That is indeed a bug. It will be fixed in the next release. Not only that, but this driver will not use the template from preferences->send to device at all, as the Kindle for android app cannot handle files in sub folders.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #54
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@dwannthny: I looked at the long filename issue, and I think I have it fixed for adding books from the device to calibre, however, for reading metadata I'm going to need some more info from you, as I dont really see why the long filename should matter for reading metadata and I cannot reproduce with my device.

Could you do the following:

6) After calibre has finished scanning the device, quit calibre and post the debug log
Here you go.

The odd duck with ValueError: No ebook found in ZIP archive as the error is actually on a book that opens fine.

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.69
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 12.07 seconds with 9566 books
SMART_DEV (   0.01:  0.013) startup_on_demand All IP addresses {'{E29AC6C2-7037-11DE-816D-806E6F6E6963}': [{'broadcast': '127.255.255.255', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], '{8984971B-C44F-4FCF-BBB1-1A2D3B91E461}': [{'broadcast': '10.80.201.255', 'netmask': '255.255.254.0', 'addr': '10.80.201.136'}]}
SMART_DEV (   0.10:  0.002) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 14137
SMART_DEV (   0.93:  0.803) startup_on_demand listening on port 14137
SMART_DEV (   0.96:  0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV (   1.01:  0.020) _attach_to_port socket error on port 54982
SMART_DEV (   1.05:  0.000) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 48123
SMART_DEV (   1.08:  0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 48123
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
MTP: Loading filesystem metadata...
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Kean, Sam/The Disappearing Spoon_ And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements-Sam Kean.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Kaufmann, Julie/The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook_ 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker-Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann.epub
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 194, in books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 219, in read_file_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 328, in get_mtp_file
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Davidson, Diane Mott/Goldy Culinary Mysteries-03.00-Cereal Murders-Diane Mott Davidson.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/David, Peter & Decandido, Keith R. A. & Golden, Chri& Carey, Diane & Wright, Susan & Greenberger, Robert/Star Trek_ Gateways-07.00-Whayond-Peter David & Keith R. A. Decandido & Christie Golden & Diane Carey & Susan Wright & Robert Greenberger.epub
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 219, in read_file_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 328, in get_mtp_file

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/GOLDEN, CHRISTOPHER/The Lost Slayer-02.00-The Dark Times-Christopher Golden.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Governo, Edgar & Seidman, Brian & Foster, Aimee Ford & Johnson, Jim & Smith, Dean/Star Trek_ Strange New Worlds-10.00-Strange New Worlds X-Edgar Governo & Brian Seidman & Aimee Ford Foster & Jim Johnson & Dean Smith.epub

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Duane, Diane/Star Trek_ Rihannsu-02.00-The Romulan Way-Diane Duane & Peter Morwood.epub
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 312, in get_file_type_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\builtins.py", line 415, in get_metadata
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\zip.py", line 40, in get_metadata
ValueError: No ebook found in ZIP archive

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Various/Pulp Magazine Samplers-05.00-Thrilling Detective Sampler 3-Joe Archibald & John L. Benton & Benton Braden & Ted Coughlan & J. S. Endicott & Frank Johnson & C. S. Montanye & Edward Ronns & Hal K. Wells.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Various/Pulp Magazine Samplers-04.00-Thrilling Detective Sampler 2-Joe Archibald & Benton Braden & Arthur J. Burks & Fenton W. Earnshaw & Frank Johnson & Sam Jr. Merwin & C. S. Montanye & Edward Ronns & Paul Roycroft & Edward S. Sullivan.epub

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Various/Star Trek_ Typhon Pact-02.00-Seize the Fire-Michael A. Martin.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Vaus/Pulp Magazine Samplers-01.00-Mammoth Detective Sampler-G.T. Fleming-Roberts & Thomas Thursday & Dale Clark & Leroyn & Berna Morris & Merle Constiner & William Lawrence Hamling & Leonard Finley Hilts & George B. Anderson & Paul W. Fairman.epub

MTP: Read metadata for Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Various/Star Trek_ Typhon Pact-04.00-Paths of Disharmony-Dayton Ward.epub
Failed to read metadata from Internal storage/Books/Calibre_Companion/Varous/Pulp Magazine Samplers-18.00-Secret Agent Sampler-Richard B. Sale & Anthony Clememan A. Daniels & Emile C. Tepperman & Richard L. Hobart & Vaughn Bryant & David X. Manners & James Perley Hughes & Maitland Scott & Charles Marquis Warren.epub
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #55
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kovid: I have changed the smartdev driver to further limit path name lengths. The limit was that the lpath could be up to 250 characters. The limit is now that the length of the full path on the device will not be longer than 210. As this length includes the mount point (around 15 characters), I hope that this guarantees enough space for the path windows explorer uses to get to the device memory (/Computer/device name/Internal Storage/...)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Those TypeErrors are errors while getting the files from the device, unfortunately, there was a typo in the error handler, which is masking the actual error, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to do that procedure again, with this build of calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.8.69.msi

Apologies for the runaround.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@chaley: Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #58
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
@mbovenka: That is indeed a bug. It will be fixed in the next release. Not only that, but this driver will not use the template from preferences->send to device at all, as the Kindle for android app cannot handle files in sub folders.
That's exactly why I wanted to be rid of them
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #59
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 2nd Gen Kindle Fire (the one for $159)

Quote:
Just a note: In the next release the default template will be changed to not put books into sub folders, as there are apparently devices made by some incompetent *cough*Amazon*cough* people that dont recognize files in sub-folders. So if you want to have books in sub-folders you will need to configure the device by right clicking on the device icon in the calibre toolbar when the device is connected.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191148
The only way my new Fire sees the book is if it individually placed in the Books folder.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The only way my new Fire sees the book is if it individually placed in the Books folder.
That's the reason Kovid was forced to make no-subdirectories the default.
Closed Thread