Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How to create folders for your Kindle.

IMPORTANT: I ran into 2 problems with this:
1. Some files showed up, others didn't. No idea why.
2. After changing the booktype back to book (2), the disappeared files still didn't show. I had to recreate my Kindle directory. No idea why the files stopped showing up in the Kindle.

Suggestions:
1. Back up everything before doing this.
2. Treat this as experimental.

I'm leaving this here in case someone wants to tinker with it. I'm moving on.

===please check that you have the most updated line in step 4==

Changing the extension of .azw, .prc, or .mobi doesn't do anything to the file. It's the same thing. Same restrictions still in place - DRMs azws are still DRMd and unDRMd mobis are still DRM free.

You will need mobi2mobi.exe. Google helps

This is only tested on files without DRM (i.e. public domain books in PRC or MOBI format, as those found at feedbooks.com).

Thank you to the folks over at https://www.mobileread.com for all their help in putting this together.

When you do this, all files will now have the .mobi extension. .prc files don't show up anymore when you do this to them, so they have to be renamed to mobi (part of the one line below, no extra step). The file itself is left unchanged. The line below takes care of azw, prc, and mobi at the same time.

Process:

1. Make a folder inside the Kindle's documents folder and put in there all the books you want in that folder.

2. Put mobi2mobi.exe in that folder.

3. Create a text file but name it renamer.cmd.

4. Write this in the text/cmd file:

for %%a in (*.azw, *.prc, *.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Folder Name" --author "%%~na" --outfile "%%~na.mobi"

5. Double click renamer.cmd to run it, wait a while depending on # of books.

Result:

When you go to your Kindle, you will a book entry called Folder Name and clicking on it will bring you to a listing of your files to the right of the Kindle. The file names will become the titles shown on the Kindle (minus the file extensions).

Upcoming:
- Are nestled folders possible?

This is what it will look like:

Kindle Home screen:

Categorized by title:

Catcher In The Rye
Feedbooks Folder
Romeo and Juliet
Something else Folder

Once you go into the Something else Folder:

Something else A Book <-- Author is "A Book"
Something else B Book <-- Title is "Something else"
Something else C Book
Something else D Book

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-24-2008 at 06:40 PM.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Awesome, thanks for this post... I'll have to try it. Of course if you have .azw or .zaw1 this won't work on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Put mobi2mobi.exe in that folder.
Think I'll keep that file off my Kindle and just keep it in my PC's path.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Awesome, thanks for this post... I'll have to try it. Of course if you have .azw or .zaw1 this won't work on those.

Think I'll keep that file off my Kindle and just keep it in my PC's path.

BOb
How do you do that?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Can you post a screen grab to show how your home page looks with the folders? Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do you do that?
If you are on XP create a folder on your c:\ Drive somewhere... to hold your mobi2perl exes. Copy the mobiperl exes into that folder. Then click on your start menu, right click on "my computer" and choose properties. A dialog will open. Click on the advanced tab. Then at the bottom of that tab click on the "Environmental Variables" button.

You will see two lists boxes, one at the top for "User" variables and one at the bottom for "ssytem" variables. You want to add a PATH variable to your top list. It probably isn't there yet. So, click the New...button under the top list. Type in "PATH" for the variable name and the full path to the folder you created above in the value, like "c:\Program Files\mobi2perl" (don't type the quotes of course.)

Save that... click ok buttons until the System PRoperties dialog is closed.

Now that you have done this you should be able to run the exe's in that folder from anywere on your machine.

BOb
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Or you can just open a CMD window and type PATH. This will show you where the machine looks for commands and just place the mobi2perl.exe in any one of those folders. I have a path specifically set up to place commands like this. They can all go in the same folder.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or you can just open a CMD window and type PATH. This will show you where the machine looks for commands and just place the mobi2perl.exe in any one of those folders. I have a path specifically set up to place commands like this. They can all go in the same folder.

Dale
Yep... that will work... if you want to put those files in some system folder or other apps folder.

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If your files are .txt files, then replace .mobi with .txt or whichever file extension your books have.
mobi2mobi will only work on MOBI (.mobi or .prc) or AZW (.azw) files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
mobi2mobi will only work on MOBI (.mobi or .prc) or AZW (.azw) files.
Does it work on DRMed mobi ebooks?

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Does it work on DRMed mobi ebooks?
Yes, the meta data (the first record) is not encrypted.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yep... that will work... if you want to put those files in some system folder or other apps folder.

BOb
I made a folder a long time ago and keep lots of apps in there. If the path gets too long it can actually slow down the search of commands so you are better off keeping it as short as you can.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I made a folder a long time ago and keep lots of apps in there. If the path gets too long it can actually slow down the search of commands so you are better off keeping it as short as you can.

Dale
Yes, I usually recommend that. Create a tools or utility folder and put them all in there.

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist

How do you add the folder itself to the path?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How do you add the folder itself to the path?
I tell you exactly how to do it in message 5. You can only add folders to the path.

BOb
Old 10-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Well, two folders were created beautifully but three folders refuse to appear. I've done the EXACT same thing to ALL files, and only two folders are cooperating. I cannot figure it out. The books themselves ceased to appear also (so something IS being changed, but no idea why it refuses to show the other folders).