Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Uh Oh, No Free iPod touch This Year

Buy a Mac for college and get a $100 Back to School Card

Quote:
When you buy a new qualifying Mac with Apple education pricing* from June 16, 2011, through September 20, 2011, you’ll get a $100 Back to School Card to use on the Mac App Store, the App Store, the iTunes Store, and the iBookstore.
Since they're not giving away the current iPod touch, like they did in previous years, does this mean they have no plans for an iPod touch 5 in September?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think they're just trying to promote the Mac App Store.

It's a shame, since I was planning on getting a MacBook Pro for my dad, who's kind of wanted one, and get an iPod Touch with the (previous) usual promotion.

Might not end up getting it this year.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Since they're not giving away the current iPod touch, like they did in previous years, does this mean they have no plans for an iPod touch 5 in September?
Perhaps. It's possible that the Touch may cannibalize iPhone sales. Now that they've delayed the iPhone launch, Apple might not follow the normal schedule for the iPod Touch. Then again, I don't think Apple would want to lose all those lovely holiday sales, either.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Hard to say what Apple is going to do. Although, it does make me wonder if there will not be a new iPod touch in September.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was looking forward to a touch 5 this year. My touch 4 is so dinosaur like. I need new.
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm actually pretty happy with the 4th gen Touch. I'd appreciate having the same camera and flash as on the iPhone 4 but ultimately, it's not really a necessity.

What I'd actually want is for the next Touch to bulk up a bit. The 4th gen Touch is just way too slim. You barely have anything to hold. *sigh* I wish the case I ordered from Amazon arrives soon.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm actually pretty happy with the 4th gen Touch. I'd appreciate having the same camera and flash as on the iPhone 4 but ultimately, it's not really a necessity.

What I'd actually want is for the next Touch to bulk up a bit. The 4th gen Touch is just way too slim. You barely have anything to hold. *sigh* I wish the case I ordered from Amazon arrives soon.
I feel pretty much the same, only I definitely wanted the iPhone's camera and flash. There are apps I want that require an auto focus camera (Google Goggles for example), and I'm left high and dry with that lame excuse Apple calls a camera on my iPt4.

Like you mentioned, bulking up would be nice; and a necessity for an AF camera. I wish the touch used the same shell as the iPhone. That would provide plenty of room for missing features.

Looking forward to a touch with a 4" screen. Sure hope the next gen delivers.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Lol, I already have an iPhone 4 so I guess that's probably why I don't really miss these features. The iTouch 4 is really just a back-up I keep at home for night-time/low light reading and quick email checks when my iPhone runs out of battery and needs to be charged.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
ukiacat2
ukiacat2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

While I on the other hand have exactly the opposite feeling. I LOVE reading on my iTouch. Its thinner size really appeals to me. I don't like my iPhone 4g for reading because of the clunky shape. I hope, hope, hope that the iPhone goes back to the curved edges of the 3g iphone eventually

I also read some speculation that Apple is going to discontinue the iTouch (emphasis on speculation). I hope they're wrong.
ukiacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat2 View Post
I also read some speculation that Apple is going to discontinue the iTouch (emphasis on speculation). I hope they're wrong.
That would be stupid; it's quite popular. If they did, they'd lose me as a customer.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat2 View Post
Discontinue the most popular iPod ever? I think not...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I read the same bit of speculation as ukiacat2. Basically, the idea is that if Apple releases a prepaid iPhone Lite/Mini/Nano/Tiny/Whatever for under $300, it will serve the same purpose as an iPod Touch while offering optional phone/data service.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I read the same bit of speculation as ukiacat2. Basically, the idea is that if Apple releases a prepaid iPhone Lite/Mini/Nano/Tiny/Whatever for under $300, it will serve the same purpose as an iPod Touch while offering optional phone/data service.
Assuming Apple keeps the iPod Touch's form factor, functionality and pricing for their "iPhone Lite", then sure. However, if they do release such a product, they're going to seriously cut into the regular iPhone's market share which, with the subsidies, is quite profitable.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The rumors about a prepaid iPhone are based on comments made by Tim Cook.

There's also this little summary of the various rumors.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

As long as voice and data are optional, I'd welcome a $300 iPhone.

Now how likely is that?